Tebow's Last Chance?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Does Tim Tebow make the Eagles final roster?

• Yes

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tebow-getting-biggest-chance-eagles-last-exhibition-203424756--nfl.html

Tebow getting biggest chance with Eagles in last exhibition
AP - Sports

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Tim Tebow is getting his last chance this offseason to prove he should stay with the Eagles as their third-string quarterback.

The 2007 Heisman Trophy winner is expected to see a lot of playing time in Philadelphia's final exhibition game on Thursday against theNew York Jets at MetLife Stadium.

''It's been an awesome journey,'' Tebow said after Monday's practice.

Tebow, now competing with Matt Barkley for the roster spot, won a national title in college at Florida and led the Broncos to a playoff game win in 2011. But he hasn't played a regular season game since 2012 and was out of football after New England released him two years ago until Eagles coach Chip Kelly signed him this spring.

''I've seen Tim improve since he's gotten here,'' Kelly said Monday. ''He's improved his throwing motion a great deal. ... Sequencing his throwing motion, so I think he's been more accurate.''

In limited action in all three preseason games, and playing with all third and fourth-team players, Tebow has completed 10 of 19 passes for 97 yards without a touchdown or an interception. He has also run 10 times for 50 yards, with three first downs and a touchdown.

''He's had a good camp,'' Kelly said. ''He's got another big week this week.''

Tebow says he's taking his usual approach.

''Stay focused, know what you have to do and then go do it,'' he said. ''I'm not nervous. I'm excited, but I'm always excited.''

His competition, Barkley, is in his third year with the Eagles after being selected in the fourth round of the 2013 draft out of Southern California.

But don't expect the players to feud over a job.

''I consider him a good friend. He has a great family,'' Tebow said. ''Sure we're competing, but you want to do things the right way. And opportunities and positions are never more important than character.''

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tebow doesnt have to make the final roster to be the emergency qb. He wont get signed by anyone else. I say Philly cuts both Barkley and Tebow and if SB gets injured they pull Tebow in off the street. Or do a Rams a la Kellen Clemens and sign Tebow (or Barkley) after week #1

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It's his last chance I think.
But Chip being a special kinda coach will keep him as the 3rd QB just to use in packages.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
''I consider him a good friend. He has a great family,'' Tebow said. ''Sure we're competing, but you want to do things the right way. And opportunities and positions are never more important than character.''

To his credit he is a fantastic person. If he could actually play QB in the NFL it would be a marketing dream but I think this year it'll be over for him and he will settle into a studio job.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don't think he'll make it. Barkley has looked better than pedro Sanchez... but both Barkley and pedro are ahead of Tebow.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Having watched Barkley battle w/Andrew Luck in the Pac-12, I can't see a way Tebow is 1/2 the QB he is or will become. No chance to win this battle.
Tim Tebow....I remember sometime in 2009, a buddy was saying what I thought of him, and I think I said he could probably play FB, if he really wanted to block...Kinda like that dude Michael Robinson who works for NFLN...He laughed and asked me why I was "hatin" on Tebow....LOL...You young bucks...Never been a "hater"...I just call it like I see it...He will continue to get chances, but if he really wanted to PLAY...Like Doug Flutie, like Warren Moon, like Kurt Warner, he'd go to a lesser league, and work on his craft against competition...Not just train by himself.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...att-barkley-in-battle-for-eagles-roster-spot/

Tim Tebow out-plays Matt Barkley in battle for Eagles roster spot
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 3, 2015

If the fourth and final preseason game was the deciding factor in the Eagles’ third-string quarterback competition, then Tim Tebow won. And it wasn’t even close.

Tebow played very well tonight against the Jets, completing 11 of 17 passes for 189 yards, with two touchdowns and one interception, plus 32 yards rushing on four carries. Matt Barkley, who started tonight’s game, did not play nearly as well, going just 4-for-9 for 45 yards, with no touchdowns and one interception. Barkley did not run the ball.

However, it’s unclear whether tonight’s preseason game will be the difference. Barkley has been ahead of Tebow on the depth chart to date, and Tebow still has flaws as a passer. Chip Kelly might decide that Tebow just doesn’t throw the ball well enough to make the 53-player roster.

Kelly didn’t show his hand after the game, saying that both quarterbacks showed some strengths and some weaknesses tonight. But there’s little doubt that Tebow showed more than Barkley.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ting-more-comfortable-had-a-blast-last-night/

Tim Tebow getting more comfortable “had a blast” last night
Posted by Darin Gantt on September 4, 2015

The difference in their post-game quotes was nearly as vast as the game’s they turned in last night.

And if you read between the lines, it’s almost as if Tim Tebow and Matt Barkley sense how this is going.

The two alternated quarters last night for the Eagles as they competed for the third quarterback job there, and Tebow had a decidedly better night on the stat sheet.

“I think I’m getting more and more comfortable,” Tebow said, via Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com. “More and more comfortable with the offense. Getting into more of a rhythm, especially on first down, kind of getting things going, getting the first first down, which is big in this offense, and trying to get it rolling a little bit.”

And asked about the possibility of returning to the league after two years out of it, Tebow shrugged it off.

“That’s not up to me,” he said. “I just try to go out there and do what I’m coached and try to improve every day and compete.

“I’ve said this a lot of times to you guys and I really genuinely mean it: I’m not going to worry about what I can’t control. It’s a blessing being able to come out here and play the game I love. It was a lot of fun out there tonight. I had a blast.”

For Barkley, not so much. He played well in the opener, but hasn’t matched that as the preseason wore on, going 15-of-32 for 159 yards and an interception the last three games. He also grumbled a bit about alternating quarters (“I never liked it”), but said that wasn’t the reason for his only putting up three points to Tebow’s 17.

“I don’t know if tonight was the deciding factor,” Barkley said. “We’ll see if that’s what it comes down to, but over the course of this camp I’ve shown that I can play quarterback for this team.

“Over the course of this whole camp, through training camp, practices and preseason, I think it’s hard to really say [we’ll make a decision] out of those preseason games because it’s really a small sampling and what I have shown through practices I think I’ve done a good job and improved in a lot of areas. I’m happy with how I’ve played throughout camp.”

If cut, Barkley will likely get a chance elsewhere. But after watching him play better as the preseason wore on, it’s looking more and more like the Eagles want to give Tebow a chance there and now.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I will stick by my assertion that Tebow can play and play well in this league. I gives a fuck about the religion and politics that people always attribute to him. Dude can play.

DenverRam

Starter
ive known he can play well since he took a 1-4 team here in Denver, that hadnt seen the playoffs for 9 years to the AFC divisional. Wish the Rams would have signed him. Instead of Clemens and the other guy last year.

Tebow-pass1.gif

Tebow-scamper.gif

Tebow-TD-1.gif

TebowMartino.gif

Tebow-TD-2.gif
[/QUOTE]

FRO

Legend
I would rather have Austin Davis than Tim Tebow. Tebow himself didn't take the Broncos to the playoffs, they won in spite of him. I think he could make it in the league as a RB/FB/TE, but he sucks at throwing the football which is sort of needed to be QB.

fancents86

Starter
I never understood why people say he would exceed at other positions like FB,RB or TE. He has never played those position in his life. Just bc he is built like those guys doesn't mean he would excel at that position. In fact I'm pretty sure the Jets tried using him in TE schemes and it failed pretty bad. Maybe more qb's should train like him, then we wouldn't have a league full of whiners complaining about their fragile bodies getting hit.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been one of Tebow's biggest detractors because of his inability to actually throw the football. I thought his best chance of making it in the NFL was to try throwing with his right hand...

However, the guy I saw playing against the Jets was a different guy. His release looked much more compact and he had a lot of zip on the ball. His short range stuff which had been entirely awful was pretty improved as well. Got to give this kid credit, he works his azz off and the hard work was quite evident. Sadly, Im not sure its enough though

DenverRam

Starter
I would rather have Austin Davis than Tim Tebow. Tebow himself didn't take the Broncos to the playoffs, they won in spite of him. I think he could make it in the league as a RB/FB/TE, but he sucks at throwing the football which is sort of needed to be QB.
Won in spite of him? hah. team was 1-4 and was looking forward to drafting #1. Then came timothy.

Team went from the #25 rushing attack to the #1 in the NFL. Team went from the #30 Defense, to the #15th.

Ball control, time of possession, let your defense breath, run down your mouth type of offense.

Someone who sucks at throwing the football doesnt throw for 313 yard vs the #1 defense in the NFL in a playoff game.

DenverRam

Starter
In fact the biggest thing i would say tim did , was a attitude change of the organization.

Instead of just being perennial losers for years on end, they actually believed they could win with him. I wonder what other team could use that.....

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Won in spite of him? hah. team was 1-4 and was looking forward to drafting #1. Then came timothy.

Team went from the #25 rushing attack to the #1 in the NFL. Team went from the #30 Defense, to the #15th.

Ball control, time of possession, let your defense breath, run down your mouth type of offense.

Someone who sucks at throwing the football doesnt throw for 313 yard vs the #1 defense in the NFL in a playoff game.
He does when a guy has 152 YAC in the playoffs, and in the game the QB 'won' had an avg of 51 yards per catch on 4 receptions and basically ran the team to victory. Everyone rushes to point out his yardage, but nobody points out that he completed 10 whole passes and AVG yard per throw was 15 and his completion rating was 47.62 percent. it was Thomas won that game.

When Tim was relied on to actually lead his team to victory he got the Patriots game, take Tebow's feet out of the game and he was nothing. That team didn't get better because he came it, it got better because it got healthy, hot and players that had yet to exploded, exploded onto the scene.

Tebow gets credit for it because it fits a nice narrative, but there's a reason this guy was immediately given up on and never stuck no matter where he went.

DenverRam

Starter
man. the broncos were 1-4 that year and were ready for the offseason. The only thing that changed was tim.

You cant tell me he was not the cause for the change.When Denver had a dual threat QB that turned them into a Power Rushing team.

In fact, if Denver did not win that playoff game, theres a chance Manning would be in a different city.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He does when a guy has 152 YAC in the playoffs, and in the game the QB 'won' had an avg of 51 yards per catch on 4 receptions and basically ran the team to victory. Everyone rushes to point out his yardage, but nobody points out that he completed 10 whole passes and AVG yard per throw was 15 and his completion rating was 47.62 percent. it was Thomas won that game.

When Tim was relied on to actually lead his team to victory he got the Patriots game, take Tebow's feet out of the game and he was nothing. That team didn't get better because he came it, it got better because it got healthy, hot and players that had yet to exploded, exploded onto the scene.

Tebow gets credit for it because it fits a nice narrative, but there's a reason this guy was immediately given up on and never stuck no matter where he went.

Pretty much this. That team played very well when it got healthy. If anyone at all in that organization believed that he was any good he'd still be there. If anyone in NY believed he was any good he'd still be there. They don't have anyone, haven't had anyone for as long as I can remember unless you count Ol Vinnie, and they still said goodbye. Heck those highlights above were great plays by the reciever. Only his legs showed promise to me. I'd say you are dead on

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

His motion is better than it used to be. I'll give him props for changing it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
man. the broncos were 1-4 that year and were ready for the offseason. The only thing that changed was tim.

You cant tell me he was not the cause for the change.When Denver had a dual threat QB that turned them into a Power Rushing team.

In fact, if Denver did not win that playoff game, theres a chance Manning would be in a different city.

Oh a lot changed, and that's been pointed out. It wasn't just Tebow picking up the team and carrying it.

In fact it was the opposite. The defense got healthy and came alive.