Teams interested in Rams RB Steven Jackson, reports Schefter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
With the NFL's trade deadline fast approaching, some big names are beginning to appear in trade rumblings. The most recent? St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson. Via ESPN's Adam Schefter:

[textarea]"The Rams have fielded trade inquiries for RB Steven Jackson over past few weeks in advance of Tuesday's NFL trade deadline. Multiple teams have called the Rams to discuss Jackson's availability, and while the Rams are not proactively shopping Jackson, or any other player, they are willing to listen to offers."[/textarea]
Amazingly, Jackson has never been part of a winning team in his NFL career, and though he has said he wants to finish his career with the Rams, the organization might have different rebuilding goals in mind. Jackson and the team failed to work out a contract extension earlier this year, with the running back instead negotiating an opt-out clause into the deal for after the 2012 season.

This season, Jackson has rushed for 380 yards on 101 carries, scoring once on the ground. He also has 10 catches for 76 yards. In his career, the former Oregon State standout has run for 9,473 yards and 53 touchdowns on 2,239 carries. He has also caught 379 passes for 3,079 yards and eight touchdowns.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/10/28/ ... en-jackson

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Re: Teams interested in Rams RB Steven Jackson, reports Sche

Trade him, he deserves better than this.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

DR RAM said:
I see you're on the D train now.

He does deserve better, but I don't feel sorry for him. I don't think he feels sorry for himself either. I believe he honestly wants to see this team turn the corner AND be a part of that. He put in his dues, and he deserves to reap the rewards. Unfortunately, he's only got a few more years in him, and I too would like to see him win a Championship.

With us.

But if it has to be any other team, it sure as hell better not be the patriots.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

X said:
DR RAM said:

He does deserve better, but I don't feel sorry for him. I don't think he feels sorry for himself either. I believe he honestly wants to see this team turn the corner AND be a part of that. He put in his dues, and he deserves to reap the rewards. Unfortunately, he's only got a few more years in him, and I too would like to see him win a Championship.

With us.

I had to get off the Stewie train. Nothing against SJ. Class guy, great teammate, bad sitch.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

X said:
DR RAM said:

With us.

It won't be. I think it'll be either Green Bay, Dallas, New Orleans, or somebody completely out of left field like the Eagles or something.

stan

Rookie

If he must go I hope it's to the AFC.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

stan said:
If he must go I hope it's to the AFC.
Wait you wouldn't prefer he go to GB and be the difference that makes them beat the 49r's in the NFC championship game?

BTW stan as I said I would , I gave you the last word in the chin hair thread, I stipulated I would IF you didn't post something clever so being a man of my word I had to stalk you here to deliver the message that the chin hair has been discounted as a factor in the last three losses in favor of the overwhelming evidence that it was losing the coin toss three times in a row.

There's a problem with the standard deviation in your statistics that yielded your erroneous conclusions , a forgivable error as long as you accept the superior research and it's flawless methodology.
What started in failure has ended in failure,I conclude based upon this we will in fact end the season with a record of 8-8,so I'd say we can at that point proclaim that coach Fisher is at least as good as coach Linehan was :what: :rofl:

STLINI

UDFA

With the emergence of Richardson and the opt-out deal in SJ's contract, it won't bother me at all if we can trade him now and get something out of him. Unless he's willing to come back at a discount, it just looks like his time here is almost over anyway. If we could get a 4th or 5th out of him, I'd pull the trigger.

That said, besides the Packers I really don't see any other contender's that I think would realistically pull a deal for him. The Pats RB's have looked ok. Pittsburgh might make some sense depending on how long their guys are out for. Murray is close to being back for Dallas, so I don't see that one.

It would be awesome if he did come back at a discount and we were able to add enough pieces next year to be in the thick of it, but who knows.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

STLINI said:
With the emergence of Richardson and the opt-out deal in SJ's contract, it won't bother me at all if we can trade him now and get something out of him. Unless he's willing to come back at a discount, it just looks like his time here is almost over anyway. If we could get a 4th or 5th out of him, I'd pull the trigger.

That said, besides the Packers I really don't see any other contender's that I think would realistically pull a deal for him. The Pats RB's have looked ok. Pittsburgh might make some sense depending on how long their guys are out for. Murray is close to being back for Dallas, so I don't see that one.

It would be awesome if he did come back at a discount and we were able to add enough pieces next year to be in the thick of it, but who knows.
The silence on this issue is deafening. First there was some kind of strained negotiations that resulted in this opt-out clause being honored even though the conditions for it weren't met. Now we hear about trade offers and rumors while both parties remain silent on any immediate or long-term plans. And that's to be expected I guess. Nobody can tip their hand. But I'd really like for one or the other (the Rams or SJ) to make a definitive statement about what they feel is best for their respective futures.

I know Jackson said, on numerous occasions, that he'd like to see this thing turn around AND be a part of it. And then you have the Rams saying, also on numerous occasions, that he's the de facto leader of this team. Not offense. Team. But the writing is smeared all over the walls it seems. Nobody is coming out and saying, "Oh hell no. Trade Jackson? You nuts?" or "I'm not going anywhere. I'm in this for the long haul, whatever it takes." There's all this ambiguity, and the fact that the contract was restructured when it could have been held to the letter is sorta telling. I think he's gone.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

X said:
STLINI said:

The silence on this issue is deafening. First there was some kind of strained negotiations that resulted in this opt-out clause being honored even though the conditions for it weren't met. Now we hear about trade offers and rumors while both parties remain silent on any immediate or long-term plans. And that's to be expected I guess. Nobody can tip their hand. But I'd really like for one or the other (the Rams or SJ) to make a definitive statement about what they feel is best for their respective futures.

I know Jackson said, on numerous occasions, that he'd like to see this thing turn around AND be a part of it. And then you have the Rams saying, also on numerous occasions, that he's the de facto leader of this team. Not offense. Team. But the writing is smeared all over the walls it seems. Nobody is coming out and saying, "Oh hell no. Trade Jackson? You nuts?" or "I'm not going anywhere. I'm in this for the long haul, whatever it takes." There's all this ambiguity, and the fact that the contract was restructured when it could have been held to the letter is sorta telling. I think he's gone.
I dissent,Fisher IMO is a guy who gives the press information like he was being bleed to death by giving it, I don't doubt that the season end will bring some decisions but as long as SJ can contribute to this season IMO trading him would be an indication of two things I don't believe exists independently nor together,those are:
a) The Rams have given up on this season ,which 3-5 is hardly the point to do that since the second wild card is still in play
b) SJ has given up on this season

It isn't my belief that either of those two are quitters,whoever might be behind this is quitting on this season, I COULD forgive SJ for that, he has been a long suffering loyal player who I admire greatly, if it is the Rams and Fisher, it will be filed away in my little rolodex of why I'm less impressed. It was the decisions of this nature FAR MORE than the record compiled by the last two coaches that made me doubt them.Fisher needs to ONLY do this to better SJ and not the team ,a low round draft choice isn't worth giving up on letting this season play out and expect that a young team can and will improve.
In the kingdom of Asgard, I have forbidden this ,if I were the owner of the Rams I would as well.
It may be that Fisher is seeing offers he has difficulty refusing, and he may get one he can't refuse, but JMO it would have to be SUBSTANTIAL,so much so that I,MOI,ME, would say, "man you gotta take that",a player who can seriously help us now OR a second round choice or more.
We've gotten ALL we paid for from SJ, if we get NOTHING if he decides to leave at the end of this year I won't be among those who criticise the decision to keep him now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Thordaddy said:
X said:
STLINI said:

I dissent,Fisher IMO is a guy who gives the press information like he was being bleed to death by giving it, I don't doubt that the season end will bring some decisions but as long as SJ can contribute to this season IMO trading him would be an indication of two things I don't believe exists independently nor together,those are:
a) The Rams have given up on this season ,which 3-5 is hardly the point to do that since the second wild card is still in play
b) SJ has given up on this season

It isn't my belief that either of those two are quitters,whoever might be behind this is quitting on this season, I COULD forgive SJ for that, he has been a long suffering loyal player who I admire greatly, if it is the Rams and Fisher, it will be filed away in my little rolodex of why I'm less impressed. It was the decisions of this nature FAR MORE than the record compiled by the last two coaches that made me doubt them.Fisher needs to ONLY do this to better SJ and not the team ,a low round draft choice isn't worth giving up on letting this season play out and expect that a young team can and will improve.
In the kingdom of Asgard, I have forbidden this ,if I were the owner of the Rams I would as well.
It may be that Fisher is seeing offers he has difficulty refusing, and he may get one he can't refuse, but JMO it would have to be SUBSTANTIAL,so much so that I,MOI,ME, would say, "man you gotta take that",a player who can seriously help us now OR a second round choice or more.
We've gotten ALL we paid for from SJ, if we get NOTHING if he decides to leave at the end of this year I won't be among those who criticise the decision to keep him now.
While I agree with your philosophical approach, I just don't see it panning out like that.

And for the record, I would be MOST displeased if Jackson is dealt this year. If the decision has to be made, I would hope that Jackson would be the one making it. Of course it has to be of mutual benefit to both he and the Organization, and I think we're all grown-up enough here to know that $7M for a part-time back is not going to mesh with the Rams' philosophical approach as of late.

And I don't expect Fisher to weigh in on any of that. I wasn't even thinking of him when I wrote that.
I was thinking of Kevin Demoff or Les Snead as being the mouthpieces on ongoing negotiations.
That's not Fisher's thang.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

X wrote:

"And I don't expect Fisher to weigh in on any of that. I wasn't even thinking of him when I wrote that.
I was thinking of Kevin Demoff or Les Snead as being the mouthpieces on ongoing negotiations.
That's not Fisher's thang."

i only quoted this part because while we are ON the SAME page here,I would expect that SINCE Fisher has to continue to coach these people the FO would not subvert his ability to keep cohesion on his team by feeding rumors on the one hand nor to undercut the possible offer NO ONE COULD refuse on the other.

YOU ALWAYS have to listen to any offer,rejecting them out of hand is not the ethos of the wheeler dealers Snead and Demoff are.
So other than the rest, I'm not reading anything here from the lack of public pronouncements, I'm expecting him here the rest of the year,SO you can pretty well FIGURE considering my never to be humble record of total fallabilty,yup he gawn :shock:
I haven't been right on much since I swore there was a Santa Clause,aw shit I just thought it's time to assess the carnage from last weeks picks, I skipped a week intentionaly so I wouldn't have to keep carping about the "lost week" ..later

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

There's no Santa?

LXUIy.jpg

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

X said:
There's no Santa?

LXUIy.jpg

Aw shit, I thought you knew, well there's still the Big Bunny that must have funny coital habits since it leaves eggs, eeeewww,
pleez don't ban me for that visual.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Even though they're not talking, I don't think Jackson gets traded. Even if Pead can start contributing in the run game (and I think that he's ready to get a few touches and offers something different from both Richardson and Jackson) I don't think it's smart to get rid of the one running back that can pass protect. We'll just get Bradford even more killed. That's why I don't think Jackson goes anywhere.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

bluecoconuts said:
Even though they're not talking, I don't think Jackson gets traded. Even if Pead can start contributing in the run game (and I think that he's ready to get a few touches and offers something different from both Richardson and Jackson) I don't think it's smart to get rid of the one running back that can pass protect. We'll just get Bradford even more killed. That's why I don't think Jackson goes anywhere.
"More killed" I like that, and there is truth to it, but we shouldn't say that they can't do it. They will have to do it at some point.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame

http://blog.stlouisrams.com/

- Fisher also quickly addressed the rumors of a trade of RB Steven Jackson. He said Jackson is “still our running back” and that they aren’t calling anyone to deal him nor are other teams calling about him. It really doesn’t appear Jackson is going anywhere despite the rumors that are out there. Trade deadline is coming before the week is out.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

Young Ram said:
http://blog.stlouisrams.com/

- Fisher also quickly addressed the rumors of a trade of RB Steven Jackson. He said Jackson is “still our running back” and that they aren’t calling anyone to deal him nor are other teams calling about him. It really doesn’t appear Jackson is going anywhere despite the rumors that are out there. Trade deadline is coming before the week is out.

Ya know, I went to practice listening to XM and they outright said the "price " to get SJ was a 3rd round pick, on the way home I hear that Fisher had shot the rumor down.
I guess it's over, no trade TG.