Teams get plenty of pre-draft communication with prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Teams can have plenty of pre-draft communication with prospects

Although Pro Day workouts and private workouts and visits to team facilities can’t happen prior to the 2020 draft, teams can still spend plenty of time talking to prospects.

According to the NFL, teams may contact an unlimited number of incoming rookies up to three times per week, for up to one hour at a time. The communications may be in the form of phone calls or videoconferences, and the only requirement is that the not conflict with a player’s school work.

Given that most players are no longer in school and given that most schools have switched to online learning, few if any communications would potentially conflict with classwork.

While hardly a perfect replacement for meeting players in person, a lot can be learned by talking to them for up to three hours per week in advance of the draft — including whether and to what extent they are reliable or punctual when the time comes to make or receive a phone call.

Ram65

Legend
I have confidence in the Rams doing their due diligence with the potential draftees. Snead has developed a solid scouting department. As always they need to hit on this draft. I imagine they already have the information they need to make decisions and putting the finishing touches on the players and restacking the board. It has to be a lot harder this year not being in the same room for the draft unless they are allowed a small group to get together on draft day, of course, six feet apart!(y)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The whole draft is going to be interesting to see how they pull everything off.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A Different Draft

It’s a bit fruitless these days to try to predict what’s going to happen—with offseason programs, with the release of the schedule, with training camps, with preseason games, with the regular season. The NFL, like all of society, is at the whim of a virus.

With Roger Goodell confirming that the draft would stay on the scheduled dates of April 23-25, that’s one mystery solved. But the form it will take—the where and the how, especially—is in a nascent state. What we do know is most people normally together for the draft will be separated. It has created one interesting prospective. If you’ve done Zoom video conferencing, or you’ve watched recent nightly newscasts, maybe you’ve seen eight or 10 people on the laptop screen or the TV all ready to be called on by a host. Imagine the same thing on draft night. The NFL will send out about 50 portable camera kits with microphones to top prospects and college coaches, with better-than-FaceTime quality, so NFL draft coverage will be able to bring in, say, LSU quarterback Joe Burrow from the family home outside Athens, Ohio, when/if he’s the first pick of the Bengals. Then Burrow will be able to do his media availability with the Cincinnati press, and whatever other one-on-ones he chooses to do.

Not perfect, but necessarily different.

The draft itself will be different. The first two or three rounds shouldn’t be upset all that much because of the scouting changes; the top 100 players were poked and prodded normally for seven months of the college preseason, regular season, bowl season and combine season before everything shut down. But it’s the later rounds, as NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah said in this space last week, that could see teams trying to hit the safe singles instead of the risky triples.

“What teams will succeed?” said former Patriots and Chiefs executive Scott Pioli, now a CBS Sports analyst. “Teams that are focused and worked long and hard at the Senior Bowl and the all-star games and the scouting combine. Teams that know how to scout. Teams that have a strong system in place.”

When I pointed out how that might be a disadvantage to new coaches like Carolina’s Matt Rhule, fresh out of Baylor to the NFL, Pioli disagreed. “Not necessarily. He has a network of people he can call on in the Big 12 that not many teams will have, and he’ll have a lot of contacts back East from Temple. [Rhule is the former Temple head coach.] That could be a big advantage on some players for Carolina. In general, the good franchises rely on scouts for success in rounds five, six and seven.”

I thought it interesting that Pioli brought up the drafting of Tom Brady in 2000 in the sixth round. In that year, the Patriots scouted Brady during the season with an area scout, then at the East-West Game in California with other scouts, then at the combine. Then the late Dick Rehbein, then New England’s quarterback coach, did a private workout with Brady in Michigan. Then New England drafted him 199th overall. Pioli’s point: All of that scouting would have been the same in 2020 except for the private workout. That workout was a big deal, of course. But the Patriots had a lot of knowledge on Brady before that workout, and could well have taken him during the draft had they not been able to go to Ann Arbor for the private session.

“Too many people are complaining about what isn’t possible in the draft process this year,” Pioli said. “The rules are the same for everybody.”

One other interesting thing I picked up: At least one team is quietly using GPS data from college teams to estimate the 40 times and other movement measurables from players who didn’t work at the combine. That’s a smart way to get an edge.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

NFL invites top prospects to “attend” the draft remotely

The NFL draft in the year of social distancing will not feature players walking across the stage to shake hands with Roger Goodell. But the draft will still be a TV show, and the players will still be a part of it.

NFL Executive VP of Football Operations Troy Vincent sent a letter to the top 50 or so prospects in this year’s draft, asking them to be ready to join the draft via video conference from their homes.

“Our plan is to connect you with NFL fans watching the Draft live from around the world, directly from your home,” Vincent wrote to the players, via Tom Pelissero of NFL Media.

Video conferencing will allow drafted players to appear on the NFL Network and ESPN broadcasts of the draft, and reaction shots from players’ homes will replace the shots of the players being welcomed to the NFL by Goodell. The NFL could even send the prospects hats from all 32 NFL teams and ask them to put on the hat of the team that drafts them.

The draft doesn’t need to be held in an arena with millions of fans to be a compelling TV event. This year’s will be a very different draft, but for the fans at home, the draft will still be a good show.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
How NFL teams can still have an effective draft in 2020

The show must go on. And it will. Confirmed in a memo from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Thursday, the 2020 NFL Draft will still run April 23-25, despite major changes to the event due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The draft has developed into a massive celebration that is televised live from a different city each year, marking the end of months of strenuous workouts, interviews, travel, medical exams and more for pro prospects and NFL teams alike. Obviously, this year's event will be dramatically different, not only in terms of how it's conducted, but also in the ways teams build their draft boards, as some of the tools that have become ingrained in the process are not available to them this time around. Although NFL decision-makers are undoubtedly facing unique challenges as they attempt to grade prospects and decide who would best help their teams, there's no question in my mind that they can still put together quality draft hauls with "incomplete" information.

When I came into the league in 1977, there wasn't an NFL Scouting Combine. Senior pro days weren't a thing. There wasn't a film library to pore over. And it wasn't uncommon to select a player who had never undergone a pre-draft physical exam by your team. In fact, there was a time when the draft was held in late January/early February, making it impossible to gather all the information teams can get now. I'm certainly not saying the NFL should return to the old ways. However, I do think many of the fundamental practices I learned during that period shed some light into how teams will approach this year's draft.

The success of teams in that era relied heavily upon great scouts. Having great scouts, especially area scouts who are responsible for prospects at schools in a certain geographical region, is key if teams intend on having success this April.

By following a group of colleges on a regular basis, area scouts get to know the players and staff from those programs very well. That familiarity will be extremely useful over the next few weeks, as they may be able to offer up valuable insights or clarity on many things about the player, including a prospect's medical history, particularly the individuals who were not among the 337 players invited to this year's combine. As a former high-level executive who started scouting players in the 1970s told me, "A good area scout will know everything about a player."

I can recall two players that I scouted when I was with the Washington Redskins in the early 1980s -- Joe Jacoby and Nate Newton -- that had not undergone physicals for us heading into the draft. Although we didn't end up selecting either player, it wasn't because of a lack of information; there were others who simply were higher on our draft board. We did, however, sign both players as free agents and both went on to become perennial Pro Bowlers.

That said, teams that rely heavily on their coaches to have a major impact on their draft boards based on combine and spring workouts could be at a disadvantage because they simply don't have the same knowledge of players that the area scouts possess.

So, how should teams handle the current working conditions? I spoke with several top personnel folks who were involved in drafting players from as far back as the early 1960s, as well as some current general managers, to come up with a plan of attack. Here are my thoughts on how teams can best prepare for this year's draft:

Physicals: With NFL-related physicals being discontinued as of last week, it appears a number of prospects will be drafted without the typical medical sign-off that teams covet. A majority of prospects already have "passed" physicals from the combine, but players that would return for a combine re-check in a normal year probably won't be able to get them prior to this year's draft.

Even when you have access to give players physicals, it's not uncommon to see teams differ in their evaluations. For example, I know Curtis Martin was left off some draft boards because of his injury history, but New England took him in the third round (74th overall). He ended up having a Hall-of-Fame career.

Team trainers and doctors, who will likely be calling college medical personnel for information, will guide you in this area. A good barometer is missed games. Once again, a scout's info from school visits -- and their interaction with coaches and the training staff -- will be critical to answering questions like: Does the player regularly miss practice? Does he have any lingering injuries? How diligent was he about seeking treatment and taking care of his body?

That said, it's very hard to get medical information from some colleges. This could hurt a prospect's draft ranking if a team feels like it just can't get a sufficient enough read on the player's overall health.

Interviews: Interviews between prospects and teams are an important part of this entire process. Much different than when I began scouting in the late 1970s, these conversations are far more thorough and integral to the scouting process given how the game has evolved and the monetary commitments teams make in the modern NFL.

At this point in the pre-draft process, teams have had opportunities to interview prospects at the Senior Bowl, East-West Shrine Bowl, other bowl games and the NFL Scouting Combine. If those interactions weren't enough, teams can always use video conferencing services to connect with a player -- something we didn't have the luxury of 40 years ago. Now, there's certainly a difference between interviewing someone in person versus via a device. Once again, this is where good area scouts will really come in handy. They'll have the best feel for the prospect since they've been observing the player for his entire college career.

Intelligence testing: The Wonderlic test, which is used to measure problem-solving ability, and a psychological test were administered at the combine. The amount of emphasis a team puts on the information gathered by these tests varies. In some cases, teams will use forms of online testing to supplement what was done at the combine. When I started scouting, the Wonderlic was only one small part of our overall evaluation. But there were certainly players who were drafted who hadn't taken the test.

Workouts: For prospects who didn't participate in drills or other events at the combine, live evaluations (or film) of practice or games will be even more crucial than usual. The player's game speed, instincts and talent level can be evaluated this way, and again (I can't stress this enough), the area scout's opinion speaks volumes.

Another way to get a feel for a player's on-field performance is to obtain practice, highlight and workout tapes from agents. Given the circumstances this spring -- very few pro days were held -- agents may also be sending videos of players running 40-yard dashes. If the team can verify the length of the run is legitimate, along with having a credible timer, it may boost or hinder a player's evaluation.

Setting the draft board: Expect players who were at the combine and all-star games to be pushed up draft boards simply because teams will have more easily accessible information on them. This is where teams with better scouts will have an advantage -- finding the under-the-radar guys who were not invited to those events. With many scouts, along with the rest of the country, hunkering down at home to keep each other safe, why not use the extra time indoors to really dive deep into the tape of the less-familiar prospects? I'd suggest having multiple personnel people watch each position and provide grades -- on all prospects.

Draft strategy: It's always tough to have a "perfect" draft and it'll be even more difficult this year. To me, the best strategy a team can take is to acquire extra draft picks. The teams that do this will have a bigger advantage this year. Yes, they'll have more opportunities for misses -- a reality we should all expect with the significant changes to the pre-draft scouting process -- but they'll also have more chances for hits. Adding draft assets also afford teams the opportunity to take more risks, especially when it comes to players who may have some medical questions.

Draft boards won't be as deep this year because teams will eliminate players due to a lack of critical information needed to assess prospects. That said, extra picks in the late rounds can really benefit prepared teams. Remember those great scouts? This is their time to shine by finding hidden gems from smaller schools and other value picks.

Post-draft: There will be a lot of talented players available after the draft, so what is the best way to secure them? A lot of time is spent recruiting and building relationships with players on all levels throughout the pre-draft process. The more time scouts and position coaches spend on developing those relationships, the more it helps a team's case when convincing a player to sign after the draft. I'd suggest signing as many undrafted free agents as possible (their contracts are based upon passing physicals, which cannot be conducted under the current regulations) because these players provide value on a lot of levels.

London_Ram

Rookie
Any thoughts that the limited time McVay, and the zero time the coordinators, spent at the combine will negatively impact us in the draft given the limited amount of face-to-face meetings and other workouts?

Or are Zoom meetings, facetime and game tape all that is really required?

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Any thoughts that the limited time McVay, and the zero time the coordinators, spent at the combine will negatively impact us in the draft given the limited amount of face-to-face meetings and other workouts?

Or are Zoom meetings, facetime and game tape all that is really required?
In years past, I have read coaches and GMs say that game film is most important. The combine is a chance for coaches to interview players and measure their agility in different drills to confirm what they see on game tape.