Tavon Run

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
I'll never get tired of watching this guy run. How many defenders does he make look silly on just this run?

tavaus.gif

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
He definitely is better when he hits his speed right from the start than he is when he tries that slowing down to juke thing. NFL players are too fast for him to dance around too much. In that run, you can see him hit the creases a lot faster and it made the defenders look silly.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
BTW ..... have we heard anything about his injury yet? I just got home from work and have yet to see anything reported on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
BTW ..... have we heard anything about his injury yet? I just got home from work and have yet to see anything reported on it.

I'm no source but on the Mountaineers board they said he went back into the game...I didn't get the game where I live so I can't confirm that.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm no source but on the Mountaineers board they said he went back into the game...I didn't get the game where I live so I can't confirm that.
He did go back in for a punt return ... but left the game and went immediately to icing it and never came back in after that

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn
From how it looked, and he returned. Just your typical low ankle sprain. He'll be back out there Sunday

RamEERS

Pastor
yeah.. went back to do a punt return... went over his head.. left the game officially and had his ankle taped up...
he probably just rolled it or someone fell on it... he should be back sunday... listed day to day officially..

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It looked pretty bad when it got rolled up on, but hopefully it wasnt anything serious. We have what three games left this season? Would be nice to see him keep developing.

jap

Legend
I compared this young guy extensively to Gale Sayers this past off-season, and he is living up to that high standard lately. Of course, the Kansas Comet was a RB deluxe who returned kicks & punts and would go out for passes at times. Tavon is primarily a receiver who also returns kicks/punts and will line up as a RB every now and then. However, both share that rare combination of elite speed, elite quickness, and great field vision. And both can take the rock to the house on any given play.

Sayers, also known as Black Magic, was blessed with a wide peripheral vision that allowed him to see out of the corners of his eyes much better than virtually all humans. Even so, he displayed an uncanny ability to juke defenders who were completely out of even his extended line of vision.

I remember the great OJ Simpson gushing about Gale like a star-struck kid, "This guy use to make moves on defenders he couldn't possibly see! No one in the history of the NFL has ever! been able to do that!!!"

Gale stated freely he could not see those rear-ward defenders, but he could "feel them." Younger fans remember the broken field artistry of Barry Sanders. Being shorter, Barry was possibly more elusive in tight quarters than Gale. However, I still hold Gale as king of the broken field Picassos when he had the entire field to work with.

Unfortunately, Gale's knee injuries occurred before the medical revolution of arthroscopic surgery. The old fashion surgical techniques had doctors literally severing muscle tissue in their reconstructive efforts, and Gale had to endure a torturous recovery process back to a level of health.
With only 68 NFL games to his credit, there was early speculations as to whether Gale even deserved consideration for Hall of Fame honors. Nevertheless, the very first year Sayers was eligible for consideration, the Hall's Selection Committee never wavered in their resolve to induct the mercurial talent. The vote was completely unanimous, and the summation as straightforward as possible: "There never was another to compare with him. What else is there to say!?!"

If Tavon has half the impact that the Kansas Comet had, he will be revered as one of the greatest players of all time.

Here's Gale in action---remind you of anyone you know?

Last edited by a moderator:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'll never get tired of watching this guy run. How many defenders does he make look silly on just this run?

tavaus.gif

Of course you don't tire of it, they almost never do it. This first run was at the end of the third quarter when the Rams were well behind. Maybe they just noticed him sitting there and asked him if he knows how to run?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Of course you don't tire of it, they almost never do it. This first run was at the end of the third quarter when the Rams were well behind. Maybe they just noticed him sitting there and asked him if he knows how to run?
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of your one-note agenda. I think you're putting way too much expectation on Austin in his rookie year. His skills don't come without a cost, as we saw at the end of this play.

Perhaps there's a specific reason that Austin doesn't get opportunities like this that often. Maybe the defense in front of him is part of it? Teams are aware what he can do. Sometimes opportunities just don't exist. Maybe the Rams playoff-less situation is part of it. How many touches should he get when a fluke injury is just waiting? Not saying he shouldn't play, but this Clemens-led offense isn't going anywhere, even with the improved running game. If you can get him one play a game like this, when nothing else is working, isn't that a blessing?

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of your one-note agenda. I think you're putting way too much expectation on Austin in his rookie year. His skills don't come without a cost, as we saw at the end of this play.

Perhaps there's a specific reason that Austin doesn't get opportunities like this that often. Maybe the defense in front of him is part of it? Teams are aware what he can do. Sometimes opportunities just don't exist. Maybe the Rams playoff-less situation is part of it. How many touches should he get when a fluke injury is just waiting? Not saying he shouldn't play, but this Clemens-led offense isn't going anywhere, even with the improved running game. If you can get him one play a game like this, when nothing else is working, isn't that a blessing?

:peek:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

What expectations are reasonable for the 8th overall draft pick?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
What expectations are reasonable for the 8th overall draft pick?
If one is expecting at least 25% of his touches to be long gains, that's not reasonable. I'd expect somewhere around 10%. Keeping in mind that all of his big runs prior to the Indy game were called back because of some kind of penalty, he's not far off that now.