Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Great post and it reminded me of how good Sam can be at threading the needle with his passes! 8 more weeks until the season starts!!!!!!!!!!!

jap

Legend
az-HAKIM was pretty good.....

As good as the Wizard of Az was, he is not in the same class as Tavon Awesome as a multiple threat. Even Az' speed and quickness are less than what Tavon has showcased on NFL fields. And Tavon does not have Az' extreme case of fumblelitis. Az was a coach killer: Tavon can provide a coach with the illusion of genius. I put Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders in Tavon's class with respect to sheer electric quickness, and Tavon is faster than both of those Hall of Famers.

As long as Tavon is allowed to operate in open space, and his ten on-field teammates are committed to blocking for him, we will all see some serious excitement from our Little Big Man. :sneaky::LOL:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As good as the Wizard of Az was, he is not in the same class as Tavon Awesome as a multiple threat. Even Az' speed and quickness are less than what Tavon has showcased on NFL fields. And Tavon does not have Az' extreme case of fumblelitis. Az was a coach killer: Tavon can provide a coach with the illusion of genius. I put Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders in Tavon's class with respect to sheer electric quickness, and Tavon is faster than both of those Hall of Famers.

As long as Tavon is allowed to operate in open space, and his ten on-field teammates are committed to blocking for him, we will all see some serious excitement from our Little Big Man. :sneaky::LOL:

I'm with you 100% on this, jap.

We saw glimpses of that "electric quickness"... With a year under his belt, sit back and watch this guy as an experienced player. It's gonna be something crazy.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Watching the games, what jumped out at me was how the light bulb seemed to turn on for him during that Colts game. The games after you can see that he learned how to set up his blocks and set up a defense to make a big play. In the beginning it looked like he was trying to juke a guy, but not really thinking about the next guy or if that would help him gain more yards. By the Bears game you can see him learn to read blocks a lot better and learn how to make the first guy miss and keep his speed.

Man, he looks like he's going to be special.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Until Tavon does HALF of what Az accomplished, I can't agree...After one season, what has he shown you?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HakiAz00.htm

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Tavon averaged 16 yards per carry. More than his yards per catch.

You would think someone like him should get more than 9 carries a season. :huh:

jap

Legend
TA out performed AZ in a big way their first seasons. So there is that.

Az hardly even played his first season (1998) because he was in DickieV's doghouse. He was effective in subsequent years primarily because he had premier receivers like Isaac, Torry and even Ricky Proehl taking a lot of pressure off of him. When Az decided he had #1 WR ability he jumped ship to Detroit in 2002, ignoring the advice of savvy Rams personnel warning him that he didn't have the body to handle #1 WR abuse. After starting ten games in 2002 for the Lions, he suffered a dislocated hip injury that landed him on the Injured Reserve list after totaling 37 catchers for 542 yards and 3 TDs. He also sported a 14.8 PR average and scored his third career PR TD.

Az' penchant for losing fumbles took a lot away from his positive contributions. One might argue that he had a better yards per catch average than Tavon. However, that's primarily because he had a coach who insisted in throwing downtown as opposed to Schotty's much more conservative approach. In terms of pure explosiveness, Az simply does not compare with Tavon.

RamzFanz

Damnit
TA is the very last player we need to worry about on the offense. I rewatched every game from last season this weekend and his skills and progression are undeniable. If you give him back half the TDs and yards he lost to penalties, Rams probably win 2 more games. With SB at the helm, his saying the game has slowed, his obvious progression last season, the running game, and hopefully some additional stellar WR play, he's going to do just great.

IMHO

TShram03

UDFA
Thank you very much OP for the vids. Insightful to see the all-22.

I still can't understand how some consider his rookie year sub-standard. Forget how electric that punt ret. TD vs. Dallas that got called back was. Same for long punt return vs. Jax that was called back too. Just baited the coverage unit then exploded.

I expect 8-10 total TD from Tavon in year 2 if healthy.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The only problem with TA's rookie year was that opposing defenses knew he was our only threat.