1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tavon Austin - Wrong Approach?

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by jrry32, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Angry Ram aka Captain RAmerica aka the OG Rammer

I don't think it's that simple to say put Tavon in the slot, put him outside, put Sted in the slot. Each play is gonna be different, and each WR might be in a different place to best take advantage of w/e the opposing defense is doing.

2. Elmgrovegnome Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you Jrry. Austin is a much better weapon on the outside.

I am editing to add that if the Rams kept a TE in the slot that can run and catch then that frees up some more of the field for Austin. He needs space and he can shake guys off if he has room to move. Where he has not excelled is when he is in heavy traffic because he goes down pretty easily (by design to save injury IMO) when he has guys too close to him.

A good running game should help him with this too but either way sending him over the middle in traffic is not the best way to use Tavon.

3. blackbart Well-Known Member

While the numbers look good it was a VERY small sample size. I look forward to seeing how things shake out next year with a full off season and TA's second year in the offense along with a full year of playing with Bradford

4. CGI_Ram Hamburger Connoisseur

Tavon Austin is Schotty's offseason homework assignment. Or at least he should be.

5. jrry32 Well-Known Member

It's not about being simple but it is about saying, this is where I think he should line up most of the time.

I agree. When I was watching NE play, it seemed like they always stacked or bunched WRs on key 3rd downs and they usually had at least 1 WR open on the play.

I'm sure Cook will play the slot some as he did this year. I was thinking more from the WR corp mind-set.

6. Username Has a Well-Known Member

You draft Tavon Austin to have a matchup nightmare. ANYWHERE on the field. You can take advantage of this by putting him in motion. Something he can do from any position on the field. He can do it all, and you must use him as such, even as a decoy. If not you're wasting his talent and therefor the value of our pick. He needs to be a MAJOR part of this offense.

How not to use Tavon Austin... Strictly on end around and a handful of gadget plays originally designed for Chris Johnson when Fisher was in Tennessee. A single carry out of the backfield, every 3 games. They also get content with him. He hits one big play and Schotty shies away as if he's done his job with Austin that game, and now he can go back to the normal offense.

I've watched the tape on Austin too. Trust me, we did not waste a pick no this kid. There was times he was missed completely open. He progressed great as the season went along too.

The truth of it is though, nothing will change. However, I do think that we still will get enough big plays with him on STs and just with him at WR. We won't come near utilizing his full potential again though.

7. Username Has a Well-Known Member

That should've been last offseason, and from what we heard it was. Guess we were wrong.