Tavon Austin vs Dante Hall(ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Discussion with Dante Hall,T.Spikes,Eric Davis and Steve Wyche on T.Austin after his breakout game.

jap

Legend
It's not like the Rams coaches are too dumb to realize Tavon needs to muscle up. This is his rookie season. For most 1st year NFL players that first off-season is where they really begin to muscle up towards the desirable pro level. I am sure he will be given diet and exercise plans designed to allow him to optimize his weight and strength without compromising that electric speed & quickness. This will be done for all our young players---that is just business as usual in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed Jap. Look at someone like Darren Sproles who, according to older scouting reports i've looked at,has put on close to 10lbs since his rookie year and has obviously lost nothing in terms of speed and ability.

The bigger issue is continuing to find ways to get him the ball in one-on-one situations and in space of course. It would be extremely helpful if guys like Cook and someone else(Givens/Quick) could emerge as a consistent threat to defenses and allow Tavon more opportunities.

On a side note Givens hasn't looked right all season. It looks like he's fighting back problems every week.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He has added about 12 pounds of muscle since college and adding much more will slow him up a bit and he could lose a little flexibility.

He is fine at the size he is now.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
He has added about 12 pounds of muscle since college and adding much more will slow him up a bit and he could lose a little flexibility.

He is fine at the size he is now.
Tavon seems to know just who he is, what his limits are. His agility allows him to avoid big hits, and his speed gets him out of bounds when necessary.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Tavon seems to know just who he is, what his limits are. His agility allows him to avoid big hits, and his speed gets him out of bounds when necessary.

Yup and ten more pounds of muscle won't provide any benefits.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
How do they know Dante is stronger? Are they going by combine #'s or just weight? Tavon looks to be pretty stout for his size from what I have seen.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Tavon is better than Hall. Donte wasn't much of a WR, Tavon is a complete player.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How do they know Dante is stronger? Are they going by combine #'s or just weight? Tavon looks to be pretty stout for his size from what I have seen.
For sure Tavon looks more stout. He's kinda rock solid from what I can tell.

had

Rookie

That's what I thought. Who are these guys saying Dante Hall is much stronger? How would they know?

This kid Tayvon Austin is yoked.

Whatever.

TexasRam

Legend
Bruce and Holt. Unstoppable Pro Bowl speed guys. Deshaun Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Cliff Branch, Gary Clark, Mark Clayton The list could go on forever of guys that beat you all day with speed and never with strength. And the more todays NFL WR's get bigger so will the CB's like Seattle etc. But those Corners won't be built to stop the speed WR, and he will then shine. As Tavon showed on Sunday. It's the beauty of the NFL game. You can win with Speed or Power. Today's NFL is all about Mismatches for this very reason. TE's ruling but also small speed guys ruling. Big Strong Cb's with top end Speed are rare. So there is always speed or strength mismatch to exploit.

The Thing with Tavon is he is a speed guy who runs fearless, that's what makes him special. His great vision take the big hit away as well.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Wow. Just watched the video. What these guys forget is that Dante Hall was shake and bake. Tavon is pure speed and quickness. Dante Hall was a specialty receiver; Tavon is a more complete receiver.

It needs repeating again: Tavon knows his limitations; Dante Hall never did.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yes sir. We need to hit Tavon in stride more. He doesn't need the space he had last Sunday. That was just easy. He can break it with a smaller window if you get him the ball on the run. I hope Schott stops trying that 3 yd hitch route that has him catching it flat footed. He is a burner, but it is a lot harder to make hay from a dig in the NFL than it was at WVU. Duh.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Nonsense like this is the very reason I stopped watching NFLN. E. Davis can't shut up soon enough for me.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Bruce and Holt. Unstoppable Pro Bowl speed guys. Deshaun Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Cliff Branch, Gary Clark, Mark Clayton The list could go on forever of guys that beat you all day with speed and never with strength. And the more todays NFL WR's get bigger so will the CB's like Seattle etc. But those Corners won't be built to stop the speed WR, and he will then shine. As Tavon showed on Sunday. It's the beauty of the NFL game. You can win with Speed or Power. Today's NFL is all about Mismatches for this very reason. TE's ruling but also small speed guys ruling. Big Strong Cb's with top end Speed are rare. So there is always speed or strength mismatch to exploit.

The Thing with Tavon is he is a speed guy who runs fearless, that's what makes him special. His great vision take the big hit away as well.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't classify Ike & Biggame as speed WRs. Neither was slow (& Torry was rather quick early in his career), but I think they won battles consistently due to their route running. They were so fluid in and out of their cuts, and you had no idea what their route was until they made their break. That's why you saw them play at a high level into the twilight of their careers, once their speed had slowed. Imo, Wayne is more of a route runner too, never been known as a burner. Marvin Harrison was the speed WR on the Colts

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nonsense like this is the very reason I stopped watching NFLN. E. Davis can't shut up soon enough for me.

Same here. I have a tough time listening to Eric Davis and a tough time looking at his ugly mug too for that fact. Right away he tries to knock Austin for strength saying that "if I had his hand on Austins chest then what can he do?" I hate when these guys talk about a player when they clearly have not watched them play specifically. I have been critical of Austin, but one thing that the guy has not had any trouble with all year is getting off the jam. In fact it has been the one skill set that I doubted he would have but he has proven that he can beat man/press coverage and is physical coming off the line.

Eric Davis is a tool.