Tavon Austin - Fly sweeps

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
Interesting little video. Wouldn't mind seeing some of these plays run for us.

West Virginia Fly Sweep Series -- Orange Bowl 2012:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My issue with these is that they don't work that well in the NFL without something to hold the defenders inside the tackle box. Because NFL teams are too fast on defense. You gotta have some misdirection or the threat of our HB running it up the middle for them to work. Or the threat of the QB keeping the ball and throwing it.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My issue with these is that they don't work that well in the NFL without something to hold the defenders inside the tackle box. Because NFL teams are too fast on defense. You gotta have some misdirection or the threat of our HB running it up the middle for them to work. Or the threat of the QB keeping the ball and throwing it.

I guess I 'd just like to see a little more creativity with the play calling. Watching Harvin run those jet sweeps last night makes me wonder if we can utilize some of that stuff with Tavon.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
The Seahawks certainly got the Jet Sweep going last night with Percy Harvin. No reason why TA cant get it going aswell.

Ramatik

Starter

Any of those... or the Green Bay Defense.

The thing is if it works, you keep doing it till they stop it.

If it doesn't change it up and try something else.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Maybe instead of a sweep toss like this they can PA fake to Stacy on a dive, and throw a swing pass out to Tavon as he motions through the line like this.

Ramatik

Starter
Maybe instead of a sweep toss like this they can PA fake to Stacy on a dive, and throw a swing pass out to Tavon as he motions through the line like this.

That's what I was thinking. I mean, not exactly that, but being creative with it. With T.A.

See, I don't think the gimmicky recvr is what your offense can be built around. (Like reggie bush etc.) But with Skittle boy carrying the load, Harvin looks really dangerous with those wacky change ups.

I'm not that impressed with their quarterback play, but I think a big difference may be that we have more recvrs who can do damage. (I surely hope so)

With the Rams running game, a passing threat, and some creativity with our own quick little receiver guy, this offense could be even a little more effective than Seattles.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
That's what I was thinking. I mean, not exactly that, but being creative with it. With T.A.

See, I don't think the gimmicky recvr is what your offense can be built around. (Like reggie bush etc.) But with Skittle boy carrying the load, Harvin looks really dangerous with those wacky change ups.

I'm not that impressed with their quarterback play, but I think a big difference may be that we have more recvrs who can do damage. (I surely hope so)

With the Rams running game, a passing threat, and some creativity with our own quick little receiver guy, this offense could be even a little more effective than Seattles.

I mean, he should be your greatest chess piece while he's on the field. Motion him everywhere to help get the matchups you want. If they don't account for him it's a kill shot.