Tavon Austin a forgotten playmaker?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFan14

Starter
I know people are really high on Sammy Watkins (and I would be on board with drafting him) but I feel like Tavon Austin has been a forgotten man around here. I do have my questions about Austin myself, but I can't deny the guy has a lot of talent and dedication. Manly it's the height that concerns me about him but if Welker can play at 5'9, Austin should be able to play at 5'8 (Bradford is taller then Brady, so hopefully it's no big deal trying to find Austin). The guy has the offseason to really dissect his game and learn more about the offense like the back of his hand (very important to instantly DO something on the field rather then think about it, like he probably had to do as a rookie). Also, if he really dedicates his time to learning defenses, then he'll be able to play much differently then he did in 2013. He'll be able to adjust his routes based off of what the defense is doing (using his amazing quickness and speed!), making Bradford's life much easier and making him a bigger threat. In 2014 it's fair to see him really become that Danny Amendola that Bradford relied on so much, except Austin is much more dangerous with the football then Amendola was.

I think Tavon Austin can replace and do a better job of being our slot WR then Amendola. I think that's enough of a reason for me to lean towards an OL to protect Bradford with our first pick. Again, I wouldn't mind Watkins with our first pick, but I feel like Austin has been a forgotten man around here.

Alan

Legend
Watkins is this years version of Tavon.

I disagree with your contention that Austin is a forgotten man. What's there to be said that hasn't already been said? It's a very difficult subject to wrap your head around because of Sam's injury. Without a decent QB throwing to him it's impossible for me to get a good handle on how much of his "potential" will be realized. He showed lots of flashes last year but our offensive game plan sure didn't allow him to strut his stuff IMO.

He looks like he'll be good to very good. The question for me is good at what? PR? KR? Slot WR? Wideout? A combination of all of those? We'll have to wait an see if the Rams brain trust con come up with a good plan.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Watkins is this years version of Tavon.

I disagree with your contention that Austin is a forgotten man. What's there to be said that hasn't already been said? It's a very difficult subject to wrap your head around because of Sam's injury. Without a decent QB throwing to him it's impossible for me to get a good handle on how much of his "potential" will be realized. He showed lots of flashes last year but our offensive game plan sure didn't allow him to strut his stuff IMO.

He looks like he'll be good to very good. The question for me is good at what? PR? KR? Slot WR? Wideout? A combination of all of those? We'll have to wait an see if the Rams brain trust con come up with a good plan.
Yeah - I'm not sure who has forgotten Tavon. I also think that with a year under a lot of these guys belts - maybe - just maybe we don't wastes some of his returns with penalties. I'm guessing he has at least 30 - 40% more all purpose yards this year and 3-5 more TDs.

iced

No one's forgotten Tavon. However an actual threat at outside receiver has become the after thought.

Nothing wrong with having multiple talented receviers - looks pretty good in Atlanta, Denver, Chicago, etc. Problem with all those teams were their defenses, despite injuries to key offensive players (Roddy White, Cutler, S.Jax, etc.)

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I sure havent forgot about the guy, Im still just as excited about him today as I was the day we drafted him. He was really starting to become the game changer we thought he would be in the second half of the season then he got hurt, It also didnt help any that clemons was the QB for most of the year. I look for him to have a monster year next year, If I were a gambeling man I would go all in on Austin leading the league in all purpose yards next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Austin should be playing the slot.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I would be against drafting Watkins. I think Austin can be that player as well as Givens. I would not want to limit Austin in the slot. I have nothing against Watkins and he might be a fine pro, but for the RAMS and this offense, I would much prefer Mike Evans. Watkins might have more talent but Evans is a perfect fit for what this team needs and to me would have a bigger impact to our offense.

He is guy who will pick up the tough yards on 3rd down and keep the chains moving, enough speed to break a big play and a terrific blocker.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

I agree partly I dont think he should be playing just the slot I think he needs to line up outside and in the backfield just as much as hes in the slot. They should be moving him all over the place looking for mismatches and trying to get him in space.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I would be against drafting Watkins. I think Austin can be that player as well as Givens. I would not want to limit Austin in the slot. I have nothing against Watkins and he might be a fine pro, but for the RAMS and this offense, I would much prefer Mike Evans. Watkins might have more talent but Evans is a perfect fit for what this team needs and to me would have a bigger impact to our offense.

He is guy who will pick up the tough yards on 3rd down and keep the chains moving, enough speed to break a big play and a terrific blocker.

I believe watkins does all these things too but better. The only Edge Evans has on Watkins is a few inches and pounds but Watkins plays much bigger than his size.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree partly I dont think he should be playing just the slot I think he needs to line up outside and in the backfield just as much as hes in the slot. They should be moving him all over the place looking for mismatches and trying to get him in space.

I think he should be mainly used on the outside like DeSean Jackson. Occasionally, I could see us moving him inside in 4 or 5 WR sets or in the back-field for gadget plays. But IMO, Austin will be most effective if we treat him like the explosive, deep threat he is rather than a gadget WR being used in a Danny Amendola role.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I think he should be mainly used on the outside like DeSean Jackson. Occasionally, I could see us moving him inside in 4 or 5 WR sets or in the back-field for gadget plays. But IMO, Austin will be most effective if we treat him like the explosive, deep threat he is rather than a gadget WR being used in a Danny Amendola role.

Isnt that supposed to be Givens job? To clear everything out so tavon has lots of room to run through the middle of the field? Tavon was very effective the few times he lined up outside last year I just worry about him consistantyly getting off press coverage on the edge. you got a lot more room to work on the inside.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

This. When Austin got outside last year, notably against Carolina, he absolutely burned their CBs. He gives you that break the top off the defence threat that Chris Givens is supposed to give us - but doesn't.

What we need as well is a guy who is tall and can fight for balls in the air - as well as being a "playmaker". Like Brian Quick is supposed to be but isn't.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I believe watkins does all these things too but better. The only Edge Evans has on Watkins is a few inches and pounds but Watkins plays much bigger than his size.

I don't see it. Watkins is a great talent but his strength is not in that facet of the game. We might be talking about different things, but I like Evans in the role Quick was supposed to assume.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I don't see it. Watkins is a great talent but his strength is not in that facet of the game. We might be talking about different things, but I like Evans in the role Quick was supposed to assume.

I do like Evans and would be happy if the rams drafted him but if were taking a reciever at two or after a small trade down I just dont see the rams passing over watkins to take Evans.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I am with Jerry on this. Tavon should be used outside. Speed is best used on the outside, and there are few if any DBs on the planet that can run with Tavon. I don't understand why people think he can't take the top off a defense. He is the fastest WR we have had since...hmm...Ron Brown??

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I think that's how he should be and will be used. Let's hope that didn't happen last year because he had a lot to learn. He needs to be moved around so that he has to be accounted for and should be deployed all over the effing place.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I do like Evans and would be happy if the rams drafted him but if were taking a reciever at two or after a small trade down I just dont see the rams passing over watkins to take Evans.

I agree. I like Evans at 13, but not in the top 8

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I would like to see him outside some, but I wouldn't call his role last year a gadget... More so wasted.

To me, Austin is the perfect threat when used all over the place. Outside. Slot. Running back. 4th WR sets. Any where you can create mismatches AND NOT BE PREDICTABLE about where he's going to be.

If we move this guy around enough, no doubt (occasionally) he gets lined up across someone who doesn't stand a chance at covering him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isnt that supposed to be Givens job? To clear everything out so tavon has lots of room to run through the middle of the field? Tavon was very effective the few times he lined up outside last year I just worry about him consistantyly getting off press coverage on the edge. you got a lot more room to work on the inside.

Feel the opposite is true. You have more freedom when it comes to the route tree but there's a lot more traffic and bodies to sift through in the middle of the field.

I'm not too worried about the press. Tavon might get caught up at times but he also has the ability to embarrass the CB trying to press him and go for 6. Press at your own risk.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Schotty needs to do some soul searching this offseason... shame on him for wasting any time with Austin.