Tannehill anyone (once he's cut)?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think he would be perfect. He could handle 1/4 season if needed. Dare I say the perfect backup QB for us.
Also once cut he has no leverage to sign elsewhere. I can only see "maybe the bucs or skins if their willing to pay 2 QBs.

Thoughts?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I prefer Bortles if possible.

But Tannehilll fits the mold of a backup with starting experience.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I prefer Bortles if possible.

But Tannehilll fits the mold of a backup with starting experience.

I think Bortles it's going to get a second shot at being a starter somewhere.

I don't think it'll work out but I think somebody is going to give him a shot.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can’t see either Bortles or Tannehill being inexpensive enough to sign, but would love either as an upgrade to Mannion

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Would be nice. But backups with game experience will be too rich for the Rams to afford. Depends on how much you like to pay for insurance.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Tannehill would be a good backup. But then again with any of these backup types what will happen if Goff can't play? Pulling an Eagles is statistically very low chance of happening.

Might be better to fill the backup spot with a younger QB and have McVay and company coach him up.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I was thinking about Ryan this week. He impressed me as a rookie against our D in 2012. He has a good arm and great athleticism. I remember how hard he was to sack in that game in Miami. I think he could do some damage in McVay’s stretch/play action scheme on the edge. I think McVay could polish him up behind Goff and have the best back up in the league IMO.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
All of the above are good points.

Me personally, I would love to have either one of these guys as back up.
I just don't think the numbers will work.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect the cost would be too great. If not, that would be fine - 2 year contract, meanwhile draft somebody to develop. If they like the developmental guy enough after a year, trade Tannehill or Bortles for a pick. If not, keep him for two years and maybe get a comp pick for him.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
You guys watched Bortles play the last 3 years right? I want to make sure you guys aren't high AF. He's F'ing awful, I don't even know how the guy had a starting gig for as long as he did. I can't say Mannion is worse than he is because Bortles is one of the worst starting QB's I've seen in a long time. Tannehill is so so but I'd way rather have him backing up Goff than BB at least Tannehill and produce with a decent crew around him. ew. common guys! commmmmon.......

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
You guys watched Bortles play the last 3 years right? I want to make sure you guys aren't high AF. He's F'ing awful, I don't even know how the guy had a starting gig for as long as he did. I can't say Mannion is worse than he is because Bortles is one of the worst starting QB's I've seen in a long time. Tannehill is so so but I'd way rather have him backing up Goff than BB at least Tannehill and produce with a decent crew around him. ew. common guys! commmmmon.......
Bortles is hot and cold. Some games he plays amazing and sometimes he plays like doo doo. I like the thought of Bortles and Tannehill bc of the fact they have been starters for years and have that experience. Hell i'd argue the Jags should have been in the superbowl the previous year if it werent for some crappy calls on their side. So Bortles has experience in big games. I dont think anyones going to have a fit if we dont get either as a back up, its just comforting knowing they have experience and we have tape on them so we know what to expect.

Psycho_X

Legend
Tannehill would be a good QB in McVays system as others have said. But he’ll be too expensive as someone will give him a chance at a starting job as others have also said. So I have nothing to contribute really I’m just bored on my lunch break.

fearsomefour

Legend
Pass on Bortles.
Tannehill is much better than Bortles.
The number of places looking for a guy to start now has declined quite a bit with recent drafts.
Buffalo, Jets etc seem to have their guys, for the near future anyway.
Match need with his level and I could see Tampa maybe. The most logical thing is for him to stay in Miami.
But, the Rams can't afford him I'm sure.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I was ready to laugh off the idea of interest in Bortles (aka The B.O.A.T.), until I ran across this very questionable stats website (https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/blake-bortles/). Comparing the BOAT to Tannehill, BOAT has better numbers in play action completion percentages and deep ball completion percentages, both staples of the Rams' Offense. Plus Tannehill is over 30 years old while BOAT is under 30 -- true not real important for QBs, but I'm just going to pander to the ageism crowd here to make BOAT seem like he's not worse than RT.

Realistically, F the stats and F the fix potential, the Rams have Jedd Fisch in the room and Fisch's first hand experience, as former Jag-OC, with the BOAT. I'll trust the Rams to debrief Fisch and make an informed decision there.

View: https://twitter.com/Trags/status/1088921014476726274

Back on topic, I've got more faith in RT than the Man-onion. If the price is right, buy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have to think the target would be...

1. Cheap. Most important.
2. Intelligent. Knowing the entire playbook so the offense only has to adjust for throws he can't make.

Perez would have fit both in year two, but now he's probably not going to be cheap given how insane teams are with QBs. Draftee doesn't really fit item 2, so I'm sure they're looking at low end castoffs who have been around and clearly can't cut it as starters. Allen, who knows our system, for example. Maybe they'll make a run at a guy like Fitz, or McCown, who give us more talent at the position, but the key is that cost.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unmentioned advantage of Bortles as a backup. It will get the Rams mentions on the series The Good Place, as he's one of the character's favorite player.