Tampa Bay horrible clock management.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
What makes you say that?
We didn't win by enough?
Game took too damn long and at key moments had to take a leak!
Defense didn't post a shut out!
Offense "only" scored 4 TDs and I picked 6 in the other thread!

In reality, some might think it was a sloppy win because we were up late by 11, yet allowed them to almost make the comeback. People need to realize how hard it really is to win on the road. Any given Sunday anyone can beat anyone. This team is still learning how to win, yet is 2-1 with missing pieces on both offense and defense. Every week is a chance to prove their worth, and even though Tampa Bay almost pulled out the win, we were able to get a win on the road. Next week we have another opportunity getting another win in Phoenix. This one will be even tougher given it's a division game, they lost to the Bills today, and they will want to prove next week they are one of the best teams in the league. We need to continue cleaning up some fundamental mistakes and believe we can get another road win. Great win regardless of the stats, etc. The only stat that matters is the final score... Rams 37, Bucs 32.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
This is the kind of game we used to find a way to lose. And even though we got some help from TB.....a win is a win. That will be a good team in a year or two. But today we snuck out w/ a "W". And that beats the shit out of a loss any day.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tavon's bonehead kickoff receiving move.....
That's the millionth time I've seen this, but it was anything but a bonehead move. If you watch the replay, you'll see they had him playing up for the pooch kick, and then he had to backtrack to field the kick. It was a beautiful kick, by the way. Perfectly placed. His momentum took him just over the goal-line, so he had to take it out. Had he let it bounce (like everyone wanted him to do), it could have bounced backwards into the field of play and given the ball to the Bucs. There's absolutely no way any coach would have wanted him to let that ball bounce instead of fielding it.

fearsomefour

Legend
I consider a contending team one that has a decent to strong chance of going deep in the playoffs. I don't think that description fits the Rams with this secondary group (if EJ Gaines comes back, plays well, and can stay healthy maybe that changes). Especially not with Keenum at QB.
The Rams pass D is the pass rush, without that they tend to breakdown. They had some good stops too. Not much pass rush today. Once it seems like the D got exhausted they just couldn't make plays.
The best team in the NFC now is Minnesota. That D is solid. Once Bradford gets fully into the O and Peterson comes back, look out.

fearsomefour

Legend
That's the millionth time I've seen this, but it was anything but a bonehead move. If you watch the replay, you'll see they had him playing up for the pooch kick, and then he had to backtrack to field the kick. It was a beautiful kick, by the way. Perfectly placed. His momentum took him just over the goal-line, so he had to take it out. Had he let it bounce (like everyone wanted him to do), it could have bounced backwards into the field of play and given the ball to the Bucs. There's absolutely no way any coach would have wanted him to let that ball bounce instead of fielding it.
Well said.
Sometimes the other team makes plays too.

RamWoodie

Legend
People railing on the secondary really act like pass rush doesn't help the situation. A good CB/Safety is going to cover a guy for about 5 seconds. The DLine was dropping like flies to injury, one was ejected, and fortunately Quinn was able to keep playing through his injury.

When you have a big strong mobile QB like that it's not easy to sack him. There are going to be days like today...but if you get the win...you take it and work on whatever issues you had through practice!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
See but those things happen every week to all 32 NFL teams. I watch alot of football including non-Rams football.
Look at the GSOT in their playoff run? They had to scrape and claw too. It's rarely a cakewalk in the NFL. Both teams want to win and both teams make plays and make mistakes. Sheesh.

Is it too hard for you to conclude that these two teams were pretty evenly matched and it literally came down to the last play?

Nope.

Is it too hard for you to conclude that the Rams keep making the same mistakes over and over again?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
game ball for Winston for not heading to the sidelines on that last play (he musta realised he was past the line of scrimmage right ? ) he had that arm cocked and was ready to let fly (Quinn had other ideas though)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am amazed that with Evans height, that Winston didn't just lob it up to him. It was their only c h acne in that play.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ves-for-clock-management-issues-late-in-loss/

Bucs kicking themselves for clock-management issues late in loss
Posted by Darin Gantt on September 26, 2016

ap_162700268477431.jpg
AP

The Buccaneers had plenty of time to think about how they were going to handle their two-minute drill.

But they apparently wasted the 69-minute lightning delay, as well as precious seconds of yesterday’s loss to the Rams.

When the Bucs took over after the delay, they had the ball at their own 44, but quickly drove to the Rams’ 27 with 49 seconds left. But then a short pass to running back Charles Sims gained 12 yards, but he didn’t get out of bounds and coach Dirk Koetter didn’t call the first of the two timeouts he had left.

Yeah, there was an opportunity [to call timeout],” Koetter said, via Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times. “I got a lot of confidence in our two-minute [drill], and I sometimes push the envelope on that, on getting to the next play. I thought we were slow getting lined up on that next one. I thought we still had time to check it down again and use it. But as it worked out, we were a little slow, so I probably should’ve used [the timeout] there.”

Instead, another 23 seconds rolled off the clock, which could have been at least two more plays. The game ended with an awkward Jameis Winston scramble and pump-fake, even though he was past the line of scrimmage and couldn’t throw.

“I was just trying to bait them and get closer to the end zone,” Winston said. “In that moment, I’ve just got to give somebody a chance in the end zone. That was just dumb on my part.”

Of course, his coach still has one of those timeouts in his pocket, in case they want to pause today to decide how best to give themselves a chance next time.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Umm...I guess "bonehead" might have been a bit harsh. :)
That was a good kick and difficult to field.

However, having said that, let me say this, perhaps the Rams just taking a safety on that play, may have been safer.

Hear me out.....if you take a safety there you have the best punter in the NFL free kicking further out instead of at the end of his own end zone- pushing Tampa back further and not risking the the possible surrender of a TD (if that kick were mishandled) or being backed up as they were/possibly turning the ball over near their own goal line or in the end zone.

I get the fact that if we give up the safety that makes a field goal tie the game, however pushing Tampa back further coupled with their bad field goal kicker lessen that risk somewhat.

Just a thought.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Winston said:
“I was just trying to bait them and get closer to the end zone,” Winston said. “In that moment, I’ve just got to give somebody a chance in the end zone. That was just dumb on my part.”
Props to the kid for manning up to it. At least he didn't take a knee and blame someone else.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

However, having said that, let me say this, perhaps the Rams just taking a safety on that play, may have been safer.

Hear me out.....if you take a safety there you have the best punter in the NFL free kicking further out instead of at the end of his own end zone- pushing Tampa back further and not risking the the possible surrender of a TD (if that kick were mishandled) or being backed up as they were/possibly turning the ball over near their own goal line or in the end zone.

I get the fact that if we give up the safety that makes a field goal tie the game, however pushing Tampa back further coupled with their bad field goal kicker lessen that risk somewhat.

Just a thought.

But then they couldnt waste time and a TO, so its probably not a smart thing to do. But I did think had the rams got the 2pt conversion and been up 6 (assuming TB makes the xpt after their td) that the smart play would have been to take a safety on that last punt, since either way TB would need a TD to win it. Would have been cool to see if the Rams would have actually done that or not

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Just a thought.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I had to stop watching in the 2 quarter and got back to watching the game after the first play back from the break, but didn't the rams punt anyway? And not give up 2 points? And run time off the clock? So wouldn't giving up 2 points, not running off time when you have a lead, and punting right back to TB be worse?

I may be wrong about the situation, but I know that quitting on offense and hoping your defense can hold them is an awful strategy, if you can justify calling it a strategy. As a group of fans (meaning in general) we complain that Fisherball is scoring 9 and holding the opponent to 3 and we hate that that outcome seems like a goal. Then we have people complain when we give our offense a shot to make something happen.

I guess I just don't understand where you're coming from, assuming I understand what happened correctly.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Correct me if I'm wrong, I had to stop watching in the 2 quarter and got back to watching the game after the first play back from the break, but didn't the rams punt anyway? And not give up 2 points? And run time off the clock? So wouldn't giving up 2 points, not running off time when you have a lead, and punting right back to TB be worse?

I may be wrong about the situation, but I know that quitting on offense and hoping your defense can hold them is an awful strategy, if you can justify calling it a strategy. As a group of fans (meaning in general) we complain that Fisherball is scoring 9 and holding the opponent to 3 and we hate that that outcome seems like a goal. Then we have people complain when we give our offense a shot to make something happen.

I guess I just don't understand where you're coming from, assuming I understand what happened correctly.

It can be risky.
Although, the Rams used it once in the playoffs and won the game with it.
I believe vs the Cowboys.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
It can be risky.
Although, the Rams used it once in the playoffs and won the game with it.
I believe vs the Cowboys.
But what's the advantage? You give up points, you give them extra time, and you're telling your offense you have no faith in them. I don't see the upside. 3 and out and you're punting anyway.