Talent? Or Potential?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the past two years, everyone's been pretty optimistic about our drafts and free agent acquisitions.

We talk about how talented this roster is and how we should be winning more games.

But we continue to lose and continue to have mental lapses (penalties) and continue to lack execution.

Talented teams perform at a high level on a consistent basis.

We don't seem to be able to do that.

So, my question is... are we really talented? Or are we a team with potential only?

Lots of players and teams never reach their potential.

We've been waiting for years now to see the full potential of guys like Cook, Britt, Quick, Jenkins, Johnson, Givens, Austin, McDonald, Bailey, Robinson, Joyner, Mason.... you get the idea.

The thing all of these players have in common is... they have a great game, then disappear for a few after that. Then, maybe a great game again.

That's not what talented players/teams do. Talented players/teams make plays consistently... game in and game out.

So is it potential still after 3 years? I think it has to be.

That saddens me.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
For one thing the free agent signings were not top notch players just fill in's as I see it. Some of the draft picks on the defensive side of the ball seem to be doing better IMO due to better coaching. The offense side of the ball seems to be taking longer for reasons that I am not sure of. Austin, Givins, Bailey not sure if the talent is there. Quick we know has it, but some of our other guys seem to be not able to get open, which may be our lack of running threat. Could be a number of reasons.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
For the past two years, everyone's been pretty optimistic about our drafts and free agent acquisitions.

We talk about how talented this roster is and how we should be winning more games.

But we continue to lose and continue to have mental lapses (penalties) and continue to lack execution.

Talented teams perform at a high level on a consistent basis.

We don't seem to be able to do that.

So, my question is... are we really talented? Or are we a team with potential only?

Lots of players and teams never reach their potential.

We've been waiting for years now to see the full potential of guys like Cook, Britt, Quick, Jenkins, Johnson, Givens, Austin, McDonald, Bailey, Robinson, Joyner, Mason.... you get the idea.

The thing all of these players have in common is... they have a great game, then disappear for a few after that. Then, maybe a great game again.

That's not what talented players/teams do. Talented players/teams make plays consistently... game in and game out.

So is it potential still after 3 years? I think it has to be.

That saddens me.

It's potential until the coaching staff molds it into a winning formula. I'd like to think that a Coach like Andy Reid would have us at 3-0 right now. I'm going to leave it at that, because I don't want to get into coach bashing.

Also, I'd have liked to see us do more in F/A this past offseason, but maybe Snead and Demoff have a plan.

Stel

Starter
You have to have talent to have potential.

We have a much higher level of talent now than we did three years ago. We have a world of untapped potential. What we seem to lack is the ability to transform the talent and potential into a team that consistently produces. It is a lot like owning huge oil reserves but not having a drill to reach it.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
We still haven't established a running game, I think most of our problems are because of that. As soon as we get the running game going this will be a very different team.

Big Willie

Starter
As the old saying goes, "it all starts up front". Until this year our talent on the OL was limited and aging. Our DL talent was young and working to reach their potential (with the exception of Long). As Brockers has improved, so has the defense because Donald stated as a productive player. Had we been able to establish moderate success on the OL the first three weeks I believe we could have scored two touchdowns each game and would probably be 3-0 right now. But we couldn't. I believe we now have talent at all OL positions with the exception of Center. Saffold and Barnes are not ascending players but I believe the others have yet to reach their potential. With the exception of Cook and Kendricks, I believe all of the other "skilled" position players on the offense have talent but we have yet to see any reach their full potential. Cook and Kendricks have one dimension and need to be upgraded.

The long and short of it to me is that the Rams leadership made mistakes in how the roster was constructed (I.e., waited too long to address the OL with talent) and the coaching is lacking because they have been unable to get the most from their players or devise schemes that create mismatches ( big receivers....where are the back shoulder fades; where are the rub routes; why aren't receivers getting the right depth on their routes; where is the attention to detail)?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We still haven't established a running game, I think most of our problems are because of that. As soon as we get the running game going this will be a very different team.

Loved Cullen BTW.....We'll get the run game going because of TALENT! Gurley is a little rusty...G-Rob a lil RAW, but the talent is there...Take a look
http://nflspinzone.com/2015/09/29/st-louis-rams-last-place-offense-needs-open-playbook/
antwon-blake-kenny-britt-nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-st.-louis-rams2-850x560.jpg

Sep 27, 2015; St. Louis, MO, USA; St. Louis Rams wide receiver Kenny Britt (18) carries the ball as Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Antwon Blake (41) defends during the first half at the Edward Jones Dome. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

St. Louis Rams

St. Louis Rams: Last Place Offense Needs To Open Up Playbook
by Matt LaPan 1d ago

Through three games of the 2015 NFL season the St. Louis Rams are 1-2 – losing their past two contests to the Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers. These loses come despite St. Louis having the ninth ranked defense in the NFL. The major problem for the Rams has been offensive output and efficiency, where they currently rank 32nd in total yards and 29th in 3rd down conversion percentage.

The numbers have been less than stellar for Nick Foles and the Rams, totaling just 274.3 yards per game – a full 11 yards less than the Philadelphia Eagles who occupy the 31st worst offensive spot. The Rams are also just 10-of-33 on 3rd down conversions, only ahead of Philadelphia, Tampa Bay and Kansas City.

The Rams inability to sustain drives has also been a major problem, as they have run just 42 first down plays on the season, worst in the NFL. The clear problem has come in the run game for St. Louis, as they are again 29th in the NFL with an average of 71.3 yards per game.

These problems have all been at a head on the open play of drives, which has helped to compound the Rams problems of sustaining drives. In their Week 3 loss to the Steelers, the Rams had nine drives. Of those nine drives, only twice did the Rams gain more than seven yards on the opening play of the drive. They had two times where the opening play of the drive went for negative yards, and one drive start with a turnover.

In that matchup the Rams started five of their nine drives with a run play. Those plays averaged just 1.2 yards per play – gaining just six yards on the five plays. That is in comparison to four pass plays that averaged 11 yards per play – although a Nick Foles interception has to be factored into those four plays.

One play that signifies a major problem for the Rams was on a 1st-&-10 in the 2nd quarter. This was rookie Todd Gurley’s first career carry, a play that went for two yards. Gurley takes the handoff from Foles, looking to go off left tackle. The left side of the Rams line – which has had many problems of their own – does a good job creating a hole for Gurley, with tackle Greg Robinson sealing the end, guard Jamon Brown getting to the second level and center Tim Barnes reaching the nose tackle. Gurley does not follow the blocks, but rather cuts back into the strength of the Steelers defense, leading to a modest two-yard gain.

With these troubles running on first down, offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti needs to look into a quick passing game on first down. The Rams have allowed just five sacks on the season, and are averaging 7.3 yards per attempts on passing plays. This would be a vast improvement over the 3.8 yards per play they average on the ground.

By going to the passing attack, the Rams would be able to improve on their 16.7 points per game average. As a team, the Rams have scored four touchdowns through three games, evenly split between the ground and the air. They have, however, gained 28 first downs through the air compared to just 11 on the ground. Not only will opening up the playbook help sustain drives, it will put less pressure on the defense, which has been the lone bright spot for St. Louis

And I agree....pass to set up the run

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Or... Cigs just needs to review film with Gurley about how to work with his OL. It's possible the rook was rusty and jacked on adrenaline.

Yes, he missed the hole because he wasn't patient. We don't have nearly enough information to know anything other than the OL actually can run block a bit and Gurley should be able to gain yards if he's patient and then explosive.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Loved Cullen BTW.....We'll get the run game going because of TALENT! Gurley is a little rusty...G-Rob a lil RAW, but the talent is there...Take a look
http://nflspinzone.com/2015/09/29/st-louis-rams-last-place-offense-needs-open-playbook/
antwon-blake-kenny-britt-nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-st.-louis-rams2-850x560.jpg

Sep 27, 2015; St. Louis, MO, USA; St. Louis Rams wide receiver Kenny Britt (18) carries the ball as Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Antwon Blake (41) defends during the first half at the Edward Jones Dome. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

St. Louis Rams

St. Louis Rams: Last Place Offense Needs To Open Up Playbook
by Matt LaPan 1d ago

Through three games of the 2015 NFL season the St. Louis Rams are 1-2 – losing their past two contests to the Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers. These loses come despite St. Louis having the ninth ranked defense in the NFL. The major problem for the Rams has been offensive output and efficiency, where they currently rank 32nd in total yards and 29th in 3rd down conversion percentage.

The numbers have been less than stellar for Nick Foles and the Rams, totaling just 274.3 yards per game – a full 11 yards less than the Philadelphia Eagles who occupy the 31st worst offensive spot. The Rams are also just 10-of-33 on 3rd down conversions, only ahead of Philadelphia, Tampa Bay and Kansas City.

The Rams inability to sustain drives has also been a major problem, as they have run just 42 first down plays on the season, worst in the NFL. The clear problem has come in the run game for St. Louis, as they are again 29th in the NFL with an average of 71.3 yards per game.

These problems have all been at a head on the open play of drives, which has helped to compound the Rams problems of sustaining drives. In their Week 3 loss to the Steelers, the Rams had nine drives. Of those nine drives, only twice did the Rams gain more than seven yards on the opening play of the drive. They had two times where the opening play of the drive went for negative yards, and one drive start with a turnover.

In that matchup the Rams started five of their nine drives with a run play. Those plays averaged just 1.2 yards per play – gaining just six yards on the five plays. That is in comparison to four pass plays that averaged 11 yards per play – although a Nick Foles interception has to be factored into those four plays.

One play that signifies a major problem for the Rams was on a 1st-&-10 in the 2nd quarter. This was rookie Todd Gurley’s first career carry, a play that went for two yards. Gurley takes the handoff from Foles, looking to go off left tackle. The left side of the Rams line – which has had many problems of their own – does a good job creating a hole for Gurley, with tackle Greg Robinson sealing the end, guard Jamon Brown getting to the second level and center Tim Barnes reaching the nose tackle. Gurley does not follow the blocks, but rather cuts back into the strength of the Steelers defense, leading to a modest two-yard gain.

With these troubles running on first down, offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti needs to look into a quick passing game on first down. The Rams have allowed just five sacks on the season, and are averaging 7.3 yards per attempts on passing plays. This would be a vast improvement over the 3.8 yards per play they average on the ground.

By going to the passing attack, the Rams would be able to improve on their 16.7 points per game average. As a team, the Rams have scored four touchdowns through three games, evenly split between the ground and the air. They have, however, gained 28 first downs through the air compared to just 11 on the ground. Not only will opening up the playbook help sustain drives, it will put less pressure on the defense, which has been the lone bright spot for St. Louis

And I agree....pass to set up the run

You and I will never agree more. Pass to set up the run.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You and I will never agree more. Pass to set up the run.
It all depends on what is easier to take. It's always situational. Pittsburgh was giving us heavy front looks on 1st and 2nd downs, they simply outnumbered us. The blocking wasn't as bad as a lot of people were saying. Some of the running play designs, were not good. If Pittsburgh is overloading one side, with 2 guys uncovered, we can't expect to be successful with slow developing plays, that have no backside blocking in place. All they had to do was simply beat us to the hole, which they did, repeatedly.

Now, on 3rd and long, and then late in the game, Pittsburgh played off, but there were yards to be had, we have to be smarter in the areas, and chunks that we go after in those situations.

If teams go HEAVY box, yes, pass the damn ball on those early downs. Either way, another thing that I, and probably others noticed, was that the timing was off on our running plays. We were either too late, or too early to the hole. That can be fixed.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It's a mix. I think there's talent in Austin and Quick. I like Britt and Bailey but I'm not sure they're what I'd call talent. Good players, but not game changers. On the OL GRob has talent, although if a great LT were available in FA or the draft I'd not hesitate to grab him and make GRob a guard again. I think he's a couple of years away from really being a top level LT. The RG Brown has been effective. Saffold is a decent veteran, I don't think the RT Havenstein is what you'd call talent. The center is a backup. Gurley and Mason have talent but both need some seasoning. They are more than adequate for any team with a consistent line. The TE position is right now nothing but empty promises and money spent.

So I think it's a mix. Not unlike any team. The problem is all the inexperience and questions are centered around the OL, which IMO the most important unit in the game. I know many people have disagreed with my thoughts on that over the years, but it's one fact I've been convinced of since playing HS football. I used to think the franchise QB essential but I'm not convinced of that anymore. So I think we can win with Foles.

V3

Hall of Fame
Many here seem to be intimating that it's just coaching that's at fault. I tend to think that some of the poor results are due to poor coaching and some are due to players that were just drafted too high and people are expecting their performance to match where they were drafted. There were many players taken way too early in the draft.

MrMotes

Starter
Last year everyone pretty much agreed Dallas had the best Oline in football.

This year, so far, the running game is mediocre and Romo has been knocked out. Some people think Washington might have the best Oline in football.

In a completely unrelated note, Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan moved from Dallas to Washington in the off season...

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
You have to have talent to have potential.

We have a much higher level of talent now than we did three years ago. We have a world of untapped potential. What we seem to lack is the ability to transform the talent and potential into a team that consistently produces. It is a lot like owning huge oil reserves but not having a drill to reach it.
Stel nails it.

They're basically the same thing, talent doesn't disappear just because you don't know how to use it. That's a whole other bag of worms, and obviously we're a talented bunch. When we're on we're one of the most unbeatable teams in the league, but when we're not on... Boy howdy is it ugly.

I don't think that lack of consistently falls on the players anymore.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It all depends on what is easier to take. It's always situational. Pittsburgh was giving us heavy front looks on 1st and 2nd downs, they simply outnumbered us. The blocking wasn't as bad as a lot of people were saying. Some of the running play designs, were not good. If Pittsburgh is overloading one side, with 2 guys uncovered, we can't expect to be successful with slow developing plays, that have no backside blocking in place. All they had to do was simply beat us to the hole, which they did repeatedly.

Now, on 3rd and long, and then late in the game, Pittsburgh played off, but there were yards to be had, we have to be smarter in the chance, and chunks that we go after in those situations.

If teams go HEAVY box, yes, pass the damn ball on those early downs. Either way, another thing that I, and probably others noticed, was that the timing was off on our running plays. We were either too late, or too early to the hole. That can be fixed.

Every situation is different sure, but this situation right now I feel it's the overall best approach on our next opening drive. Springing Austin on a few quick hitters will do more for our run game then anything else. IMO of course.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Every situation is different sure, but this situation right now I feel it's the overall best approach on our next opening drive. Springing Austin on a few quick hitters will do more for our run game then anything else. IMO of course.
I'm with you, as long as the defense buys in...:sneaky:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sometimes I think Fish is trying to be too smug with his backs and receivers. He likes to think of them as "units" as opposed to individual players, and consistently substitutes them in and out, which results in everybody getting a few carries or passes thrown to. The problem with this is that our skill players rarely are able to get into a rhythm as the game progresses. I like spreading the ball around as much as anyone, but sometimes I wonder if it's at the expense of our players ability to "get hot" during the game. For example, I would love to see Britt, or Tavon, or Bailey get a change to actually catch 6 or 7 balls in a game, and I can't wait to see Gurley get 20 carries!