Tale of Two Plays

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wrapping up a look tonight at some of the DBs and wanted to put up a couple interesting plays. One with Hill & Fuller, and the other with Williams & Johnson. The plays are very similar, run to two different sides with a drastic difference in how the Rams play them and the result.

Now we don't know what the calls are here. But it does look like a basic two-read on the side where the play is executed. Meaning the receiver who goes deep (5ish+ yards) should be taken by the safety and the CB takes the underneath which allows for better edge contain and a quicker tackle than doing it the other way. Now that said in this situation the read is a bit harder with a RB involved but I presume it's the same responsibility.

The first time we see this play is in the first half.

Pre-snap we have the Rams' standard look. QB is looking at the wideout and thinking easy pitch 'n catch:
1602661937970.png

At the snap Reeder goes so there's no overhang and it's gonna be Hill & Fuller on the wideout and RB. Notice Fuller btw already moving forward, he's anticipating what's coming.
1602662162378.png

As the QB starts his throw Hill is not aware of the QB at all and in fact will stay on his selected target. Fuller meanwhile knows what's up and is moving full speed to get around him to the sideline and hopefully prevent a big play.
1602662335825.png

At the catch Fuller is now almost there, about five yards out. Hill is preoccupied with some grabass lol.
1602662574911.png

Fuller almost gets him for a short gainer though, which if he had would have been a great play.
1602662653932.png

8 yard gain and Hill's there to make sure he gets tackled if he gets that first down. :ROFLMAO:
1602662764174.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Second time, early in the second half (first second down in fact).

Pre-snap. They're going to run it to the right (and short side) hash which does make it easier on Williams.
1602662986022.png

At the snap Smith shows good eye control and won't look at the underneath until he makes the throw (he already knows the vert won't be there due to the coverage and knows he won't survive waiting it out).
1602663647161.png

Ball is up, and Williams has already broke for the underneath leaving the vert for JJ. The exchange on this side is seamless.
1602663795572.png

Play made with a stuff for -1.
1602663890667.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That was so well played by Williams. Solid tackle to finish.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Nice breakdown @Merlin . So great to have good depth at CB with Williams & Fuller, hope we get Fuller back soon. ouch.
But Hill, yeah, not being aware of where the ball is going is a bit concerning.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me it looks like Fuller has the RB and Hill has the WR. You can tell by their body language.

Plus, JJ is vastly better than Fuller in coverage - so it makes sense that you would not want Fuller to be covering a WR in that situation if Hill can take him, and also makes sense that they'd switch it up to confuse Washington.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, great play by Williams, but I was a little disappointed that Fuller didn't make that tackle.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My concern with Fuller out is the comms on that right side. Whoever replaces him will be working with Hill.

I would think that dynamic is a targeted area in Shanny's gameplan as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me it looks like Fuller has the RB and Hill has the WR. You can tell by their body language.
Maybe so. But that would be really poor design. It was also part of a series of plays where the defense was struggling early.

We will never know. But I think there's even odds that Fuller adjusted. That he is that good.