Take notice: Rams have best D-line in NFL, and a real chance this year/SI.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Take notice: Rams have best D-line in NFL, and a real chance this year
BY JOAN NIESEN

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/13/rams-seahawks-aaron-donald-nfl-week-1

ST. LOUIS—It’s one game into the second season of Aaron Donald’s NFL career, and his teammates, a little high on the dizzying fumes of winning and finishing and finally some affirmation, are throwing around some big words. He’s the best defensive tackle in football, Chris Long says of his 24-year-old linemate. “The Hall of Fame is calling his name,” Robert Quinn pronounces. No one can help but positively freaking beam when they say his name. No. 99, he has that effect. “I like him on my team,” Quinn continues, and it’s the understatement of the day.

Donald, meanwhile, is quiet. He speaks quickly and jerkily, as if the faster he spits it out, the faster he can stop. But warm him up, take him back into a play, and he lets loose. Consider the Seahawks’ first drive of the game, for instance, where they came up to fourth down and one on the Rams’ 31-yard line. Soundly in field goal range, they ran the ball and landed two yards. And then on the next play, Donald positively walloped Russell Wilson, a sack which, combined with a five-yard penalty, pushed Seattle out of field goal range. “William Hayes did a great job rushing, actually got a hand on him, but he broke, and he slowed it down for me,” Donald recalls. “It’s a unit. We work together. One guy misses, and another guy’s going to clean it up.”

Or consider the final play of the game, another fourth-and-one, this time at the Rams 42-yard line in overtime. “I was thinking run,” Donald says. (He likely watched the Super Bowl.) “I was sure. He’s got Lynch back there. You know they’re going to give it to him.”

“Brock got him, stopped, slowed him down, and I just jumped on him.”

And in so many words, there is the game, the Rams’ 34-31 victory over the reigning NFC champions. Yes, there was an encouraging dose of Nick Foles at quarterback, a pinch of Seahawks magic, several outbursts of Lynch, some Jimmy Graham and a bit of Tavon Austin. But step back, and the Rams won because of what they do best: defensive line play – and Donald.

Sure, the score doesn’t necessarily scream defensive battle, but the Seahawks logged 14 of their 31 points on defense and special teams, with a 57-yard punt return and an eight-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown. Eliminate those plays, and we’re left with field goal, field goal, touchdown, field goal—and a sense that maybe these Rams have put it all together behind the unit in which they’ve spent the past four years investing.

Donald was the player they were never supposed to be able to pick. By 2014, St. Louis’s defensive line was stacked, and it had an entire offense to bolster in the draft. But with an extra first-round pick courtesy of the Redskins’ burning desire to pick a quarterback they’d bench four seasons in, St. Louis landed Donald, who slipped to no. 13 with concerns that he might be undersized. (If Lynch happened to be the kind of player who was ever inclined to speak, I’d love to pick his brain as to whether Donald is too small to be a viable tackle.)

“This is a good football player,” Rams general manager Les Snead told me in June of his rationale with Donald. “Our DL’s deep. But we’ve always had a big-picture philosophy in the building, especially for first-rounders. Yes, we’re well aware of our team needs, but maybe in the first round you take what you think the best player is.”

And that’s exactly what Donald was. Last season, he logged nine sacks, one pass defensed and two forced fumbles—while starting only 12 games. In the final 11 contests of the season, he had eight sacks and 25 QB hurries, paving the way for his recognition as the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year. If teams had doubted Donald in May, by December they knew: Be afraid.

Which makes this win even sweeter. With the offseason addition of tackle Nick Fairley and Donald’s emergence, any team that didn’t think the Rams were legitimate a year ago has likely changed its tune. Long, Quinn, Brockers, Donald, Fairley—first-round pick, first-round pick, first-round...you get the idea. The team that has looked great on paper for years is finally living up to its billing, and Long relishes the fact that teams now expect, and gird themselves for, his team’s defensive line. “We weren’t surprised that we beat them,” the veteran end says. “The guys in this locker room expected to win that game. Maybe in years past—but the difference this year is we didn’t sneak up on them. They knew who we were, and we won anyways.”

On the afternoon, the Rams combined for six sacks—two each by Quinn and Donald, one by Lamarcus Joyner and one by Eugene Sims. They hit Wilson a combined nine times, had seven tackles for loss and four passes defensed, and no player took credit. As he walked out of the locker room, defensive line coach Mike Waufle hollered at Brockers, who was about to speak to the media: “Tell them (you) won the game for the team.” Brockers laughed. That’s just not how these Rams work. He’ll own up to a mistake in the B-gap, which Long will jokingly chide him for and frankly say he never noticed. Donald will credit Brockers for the dirty work, Hayes for a grab, Long for setting up the game’s big plays. The Rams line isn’t so much a front four as it is a front one, this amorphous unit of rotation, rotation, thwap, and that’s why it works so well.

There was a certain pall of irony over the day, though. On Sunday, the Edward Jones Dome rocked as Donald and Brockers stuffed Lynch, louder than its only partially filled seats (many of which were occupied by visiting 12s) would have suggested. Fans screamed as they left the building, five, 10, 15 minutes after the final play, and not a player escaped being asked about the magnitude of the win, the biggest of Jeff Fisher’s tenure in St. Louis. The Rams are maybe actually good, but they also maybe probably have one foot out the door to Los Angeles. And instead of showing up in droves to stick it to the NFL and owner Stan Kroenke, St. Louis’s fans seem cautious, hurt by the flirtation with palm trees and celebrity. Meanwhile, they’re missing the best product their team has fielded since the Kurt Warner era. They’re missing two of the best young pass rushers in football, and soon they’ll be missing one of the game’s most promising running backs. They’re missing the chance for Long, the no. 2 pick in 2008, to finally see the playoffs. They’re missing the first healthy and talented quarterback their team has fielded in a decade.

Which is why Sunday mattered that little bit more. Another game like this one, and another, and another, and maybe St. Louis will take notice. Maybe not. But regardless, this defensive line will keep humming and thumping and smothering. It’s the best in the game, and Donald may just be the game’s top defensive player. Give him a year or two. Or even a handful of months. And give these Rams a chance.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Donald positively walloped Russell Wilson, a sack which, combined with a five-yard penalty, pushed Seattle out of field goal range. “William Hayes did a great job rushing, actually got a hand on him, but he broke, and he slowed it down for me,” Donald recalls.It’s a unit. We work together. One guy misses, and another guy’s going to clean it up.”

LOVE THIS GUY!!!

bskrilla

Starter
Aaron Donald could legitmately have 15+ sacks this year. No joke. No messing around. Aaron Donald could be the bst DT in the league since Warren Sapp.

He very well may win defesive MVP.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Right now, I think he's just behind JJ Watt. But only a sliver. That's how good he is.

And that's saying something...

Alan

Legend
“This is a good football player,” Rams general manager Les Snead told me in June of his rationale with Donald. “Our DL’s deep. But we’ve always had a big-picture philosophy in the building, especially for first-rounders. Yes, we’re well aware of our team needs, but maybe in the first round you take what you think the best player is.
So here's further evidence that, for the most part, they don't draft BPA.

jjab360

Legend
“This is a good football player,” Rams general manager Les Snead told me in June of his rationale with Donald. “Our DL’s deep. But we’ve always had a big-picture philosophy in the building, especially for first-rounders. Yes, we’re well aware of our team needs, but maybe in the first round you take what you think the best player is.
So here's further evidence that, for the most part, they don't draft BPA.
...Isn't that evidence to the contrary?

Alan

Legend
jjab360 missing the nuance:
...Isn't that evidence to the contrary?
He said three things that support my contention.

"we're well aware of our needs" So they're inferring that needs play a big part in their decision, especially outside the 1st round.

"Maybe" Even then it's not a slam dunk that they take BPA.

"in the first round" Infers that outside of the 1st round needs trump BPA.

Add those three clues up and you get my statement. It's also why I said "for the most part."

jjab360

Legend
He said three things that support my contention.

"we're well aware of our needs" So they're inferring that needs play a big part in their decision, especially outside the 1st round.

"Maybe" Even then it's not a slam dunk that they take BPA.

"in the first round" Infers that outside of the 1st round needs trump BPA.

Add those three clues up and you get my statement. It's also why I said "for the most part."
Sorry, I just don't see how you can say they don't draft BPA and then use an example where they drafted BPA and the GM saying they ignored need as support for your claim.

Attempting to read between the lines and trying to twist the statement to fit preconceived notions doesn't really hold up to me. You say that Snead implies one thing, but who's to say he is? Maybe he's saying he feels that way every round, but he just didn't elaborate. It's just not very concrete one way or the other, not in that particular statement.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 with this:
Sorry, I just don't see how you can say they don't draft BPA and then use an example where they drafted BPA and the GM saying they ignored need as support for your claim.

Attempting to read between the lines and trying to twist the statement to fit preconceived notions doesn't really hold up to me. You say that Snead implies one thing, but who's to say he is? Maybe he's saying he feels that way every round, but he just didn't elaborate. It's just not very concrete one way or the other, not in that particular statement.
It's certainly understandable why you might think I'm wrong about this and you can and do interpret what he said differently and possibly correctly. Having said that, I'll add/repeat a couple of things.

You seem to be putting too much emphasis on the fact that we drafted BPA when we took Donald and are ignoring what he said in the rest of the sentence. No, I'm not using the fact that took they drafted BPA at #13 to support my contention, I'm using the other things he said to do that. Plus, let me repeat this for the 3rd time, "for the most part." What I said there addresses the fact that they did in fact take BPA with that pick.

There was no reading between the lines or twisting what he said, I just read what he actually said. If he actually felt that way about every round then why did he specifically say the 1st round? I think it's you that's twisting/ignoring what he actually said. I think he meant exactly what he said. "Maybe" means something different to you? Talking about picking a player despite our needs in other areas means something different to you? Maybe, but then why say those things at all?

Also, you seem to be ignoring what actually happened in that 1st round. What was our biggest need going into the draft? LT. Who did we pick with our first pick? A LT even though Donald, Watkins, Matthews and Mack were available. IMO, knowing only what I knew then, either Mack or Watkins was the BPA at that point. I doubt that was just a coincidence.

jjab360

Legend
It's certainly understandable why you might think I'm wrong about this and you can and do interpret what he said differently and possibly correctly. Having said that, I'll add/repeat a couple of things.

You seem to be putting too much emphasis on the fact that we drafted BPA when we took Donald and are ignoring what he said in the rest of the sentence. No, I'm not using the fact that took they drafted BPA at #13 to support my contention, I'm using the other things he said to do that. Plus, let me repeat this for the 3rd time, "for the most part." What I said there addresses the fact that they did in fact take BPA with that pick.

There was no reading between the lines or twisting what he said, I just read what he actually said. If he actually felt that way about every round then why did he specifically say the 1st round? I think it's you that's twisting/ignoring what he actually said. I think he meant exactly what he said. "Maybe" means something different to you? Talking about picking a player despite our needs in other areas means something different to you? Maybe, but then why say those things at all?

Also, you seem to be ignoring what actually happened in that 1st round. What was our biggest need going into the draft? LT. Who did we pick with our first pick? A LT even though Donald, Watkins, Matthews and Mack were available. IMO, knowing only what I knew then, either Mack or Watkins was the BPA at that point. I doubt that was just a coincidence.
Alan... you used the word "infer" twice. That's the definition of reading between the lines. Snead did not explicitly say any of the things you inferred from that statement.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Getting back to the topic, everything I've read about this D-line makes them seem like the best in the league. I know the Bills looked good, and they're in the mix too, but I'm pretty sure our guys will end up as the #1 unit at the end of the season, barring injuries.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Quinn and Donald are going to be the best pass rushing teammates in the NFL this season. No question.

Alan

Legend
That is one way of interpreting it's definition @jjab360 but I'm using this interpretation:
Infer - deduce or conclude (information) from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements.

What is your alternative explanation for the meaning of the words he actually used? He explicitly said "maybe." He explicitly said "in the 1st round." He explicitly said "Yes, we’re well aware of our team needs." So you can read those words and deduce that they were just gratuitous statements but I deduce that he said them for a reason.

But this just illustrates how two people can read the same thing and come away with a different meaning/conclusion.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Love this article. Its so well written compared to most of the media trash you get.

Watt's numbers are inflated some because he plays in the AFC South.

Its not just Watts numbers that make him so special - its his overall disruption, in both the pass and run game. Yes Donald disrupts. But Watt is regarded as being the best player in football for a reason.

Also don't forget his wingspan - the number of batted balls JJ Swat knocks down is ludicrous.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No team will pick BPA in every round. You can't, since you are trying to fill holes in the draft. If a team is picking between multiple players, one who is slightly better than the second choice who fills a huge hole on the team - every team will pick the second, even if they generally prefer BPA.

It's not like draft pick evaluation is perfect in any case.

I'm just pleased that the team does try to get BPA when they can. They really needed another OL in the Donald draft (and tried to trade up back into the first to get him) but decided that Donald was too good to miss out on. This past offseason that forced them to go all in after the first (where they took BPA) on the line. But the net result is that they have a guy who will probably win a DPOY or two.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I love articles like this. I still can't talk from yelling so loud yesterday. We have a lot to clean up but the fact we never gave up, even when we let them take the lead says a lot about the growth of this team. And the addition of Foles..Well, what can you say.
When the fumble recovery for a TD put them in the lead with 4 minutes to go this freaking Shecock fan said "welcome to the Rams".
I said "shut up!".

And when the final play came down and we stuffed their arse into the ground I said, "welcome to the new Rams, bitch".

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was wrong about this team....I didn't think we would win this game and I was wrong...and it feels great.

This also feels different. We won the game, out yarded them, and won despite being minus 2 in turnovers.

To me that says we were legitimately the better team....which is awesome

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
One of the things I love is to a man this board new Donald was special all of us taking him in our mocks last year. Hoping, Salavating, praying he would drop to us or we would make some sort of trade to be in a position to take him. The commisioner went to the podium and we at ROD on pins and needle crossed our fingers and hoped that Snisher felt the same as we did that this kid just makes plays and there is to much talent to not add him to our already deep D line.
WOW what a payoff.
Kudos to all as it is no surprise that this young man is now dictaing play as an unstoppable force.

FRO

Legend
Donald is awesome, but big Brock deserves some love to. He plays the role of eating blocks to free up Donald. We have three very young talented defensive linemen that we need to lock up for a long time.