Tackling, scheme on check downs.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
I know I can't be the only one who notices this.

We are horrible on check downs - we give a lot of RAC and have many missed tackles.

It seems like our guys will back up and let the offensive player "come to them" a lot in these situations and give up easy yards and 1st downs.

I don't know if this is just not having confident tacklers at those positions or something that's strategic.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I know I can't be the only one who notices this.

We are horrible on check downs - we give a lot of RAC and have many missed tackles.

It seems like our guys will back up and let the offensive player "come to them" a lot in these situations and give up easy yards and 1st downs.

I don't know if this is just not having confident tacklers at those positions or something that's strategic.
Compared to what? Other teams?

If you looked at teams Rams pass YAC (I think that is what you mean -- you're talking about "check downs") you see they are above
average and below average in tackling.

Why? Well the decent YAC numbers are because of Pleasant and Lake. The poor tackling is Morris's fault.

I think that is how it goes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We have room to improve on tackling by improving the quality of some of those positions. WILB for example, though I have to admit I have been pleasantly surprised by the play of Rozeboom. Both safety positions in the pairing as well I think could be improved upon in both tackling underneath as well as their other responsibilities. And the nickel spot as well has been hit and miss. I don't rewatch games any more mind you this is just my feel from watching the games once.

I think this is one of the reasons why Morris has had Lake in the slot. Not to take away from his good play in the slot, but Lake has good size and tackles well and helps us across the middle and in the flats.

Generally with safeties it feels like they are best in tackling when they are in that first contract window. Rams don't like to pay them, obviously, and rightly so. But what we need is more young talent added to this defense in those positions.

Looking at the draft I figure the Rams will almost surely draft one safety and you don't have to take that position high, plus the Rams have shown an ability to evaluate them well. Though that said there are a couple guys who I think could really help our defense earlier in the draft. I really like Nubin though he'll go too high for us I think. I am also rather sweet on James Williams who should be more in our wheelhouse. And in every draft there is an ILB who can stay on the field 3x downs, and who will go quite high due to that, the name this year being Trotter, who would pair beautifully with Jones.

Help is on the way on this I think.

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Compared to what? Other teams?

If you looked at teams Rams pass YAC (I think that is what you mean -- you're talking about "check downs") you see they are above
average and below average in tackling.

Why? Well the decent YAC numbers are because of Pleasant and Lake. The poor tackling is Morris's fault.

I think that is how it goes.

Not sure about the snarky comment there about pleasant and Morris - i've never said shit about that.

I'm talking specifically on check downs.... mostly to running backs.

YAC applies to all routes.

Last edited:

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I'm talking specifically on check downs.... mostly to running backs.

YAC applies to all routes.
I know what "YAC " is.

Was trying to understand if you meant "YAC" when you posted "RAC"

Then I said that for YAC Rams are about average compared to other teams.

Ellard80

Legend
I know what "YAC " is.

Was trying to understand if you meant "YAC" when you posted "RAC"

Then I said that for YAC Rams are about average compared to other teams.
yeah I'm talking about checkdowns, YAC is all routes.

Like I just said....

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
yeah I'm talking about checkdowns, YAC is all routes.

Like I just said....
But RAC is not "Run after Checkdowns" is it?

Neither measures RAC nor YAC only checkdown passes. So that is why I am confused.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Now you're getting it!
I wonder why that guy won't respond to me. I've given him ample opportunities. I have posted on nose tackles and how they play, the terminology or the Fangio defense but I guess that is telling.

But when you show video evidence or photo evidence it kind of settles the issue. He's so in love with Pleasant and Lake and hates Morris it is both sad and funny.

Ellard80

Legend
But RAC is not "Run after Checkdowns" is it?

Neither measures RAC nor YAC only checkdown passes. So that is why I am confused.
RAC is an often/older used term for "Run after Catch" It has some different meaning in some circles but in general is just another term for YAC.

Which I'm sure you have heard before - but why you want to focus on that when it has little to do with my point (because you knew what I meant). You knew I was talking about YAC.

You actually are just kind of being an ass.

So, you must get frustrated easily by people that don't know think you are a god of football knowledge because you coach high school or whatever.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I wonder why that guy won't respond to me. I've given him ample opportunities. I have posted on nose tackles and how they play, the terminology or the Fangio defense but I guess that is telling.

But when you show video evidence or photo evidence it kind of settles the issue. He's so in love with Pleasant and Lake and hates Morris it is both sad and funny.
Because he hates Morris and he loves making stuff up. When you post evidence to the contrary he just post in a different thread. He will never respond to you. PS love your post, I learn a lot from them.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
RAC is an often/older used term for "Run after Catch"

Which I'm sure you have heard before - but why you want to focus on that when it has little to do with my point (because you knew what I meant).

You actually are just kind of being an ass.

So, you must get frustrated easily by people that don't know think you are a god of football knowledge because you coach high school or whatever.
I think you may be a little too sensitive. I was honestly trying to understand what you meant. And to me, RAC and YAC are different, similar but different.

View: https://x.com/OmarKelly/status/530063932522635265?s=20

2023-12-13_14-04-01.jpg

I DID focus on your point. (See above).

I interpreted what I thought you were saying and gave stats for YAC and tackling.

You just seem angry --- maybe because my comment directed to a certain poster was included, I don't know.

So why you chose to go into personal attack mode is an odd choice, but whatever.

So, in the future, just ignore my comments. Life is to short to deal with hate.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Because he hates Morris and he loves making stuff up. When you post evidence to the contrary he just post in a different thread. He will never respond to you. PS love your post, I learn a lot from them.
That's too bad that he won't respond.

But, if he wants to ignore me, that's okay. If anyone does not want to, they don't have to.

They do their thing, I will do mine. But if I see misinformation from a poster that I am sure is inaccurate
I will give my take on the subject and if they don't want to engage that's their right.

It would be my right to believe they may not be able to respond with facts because they've been shown
to be wrong.

As far as learning from some of my posts...appreciate it.

Ellard80

Legend
I think you may be a little too sensitive. I was honestly trying to understand what you meant. And to me, RAC and YAC are different, similar but different.

View: https://x.com/OmarKelly/status/530063932522635265?s=20

View attachment 62868

I DID focus on your point. (See above).

I interpreted what I thought you were saying and gave stats for YAC and tackling.

You just seem angry --- maybe because my comment directed to a certain poster was included, I don't know.

So why you chose to go into personal attack mode is an odd choice, but whatever.

So, in the future, just ignore my comments. Life is to short to deal with hate.

You started right off the bat with a snide ass comment about Morris and pleasant or some shit that I've never said. Whoever you were subtlety directing it at.. you were including me as being a part of it.

Please.

But anyways...

Last edited:

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
lol you are the one getting pissy bro.

Nice try tho....
Dude, you went into a personal attack (god, high school coach, ass, etc.)

Interesting that you would call me pissy.

But again, carry on without me. Ignore me. Don't read my replies.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
read my edited post above - you tried to put me in my place right off the bat by associating me with the pleasant/morris whatever that is crap.

And yeah adding you to ignore now.
Already told you that was a comment for general reading. But if you want to take it personally, that's fine.
Just don't try to say this is on me for that. You went personal (god, high school, ass, pissy).

You said I didn't focus on your point and I did. I sought clarity and tried to engage with no personal attacks at all.

You assumed something that was not true. And I don't anything about your "edited" post and don't know
what you changed.

And good, put me on ignore. I have no problem with that. I don't need to deal with hate.