Surprises THIS postseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The media narrative is set. The Rams had an explosive offense that shined against the Vikings and Chiefs but were exposed against the Bears and Eagles. The defense is loaded with “names” but cannot stop the run and have pedestrian stats as a unit. NOBODY talks about the special teams because the numbers from previous years didn’t show up this year due to injuries to Zuerlein, Pharoah, Jo Jo and a handful of fluke kicks by Hekker. Those who remember well the GSOT think this is a similarly flashy but basically “soft” yet skilled group who rely on McVay’s genius and Donald’s dominance. I can recall a handful of dumbass “analysts” who claim the Rams ended the season weakly as though the total dominance v the 9’ers and Cards never happened or were somehow insignificant though those two teams either beat or came close to beating supposed badassed teams like the Bears and Seahawks. Oh, and two fumbles by a returner no longer on the team and injury to the Ram’s only “other” DT weren’t the real reasons they lost to the Falcons in the playoffs last year ..it was inexperience and somehow Goff was to blame.

Blah, Blah, Blah.....F’ing Blah....

Starting this Saturday, THESE are the things ROD knows that the general public and media cannot predict.

1. Aaron Kromer made the Buffalo Bills a top flight running attack just two years ago (how are they now without him?) and though everyone focuses on Zeke as the Cowboy’s best asset (true), the Rams have one of the top rushing offenses in the NFL (ranked above the ‘Boyz). Though an injured Gurley without Malcom Brown was ineffective against the Bears and Eagles, Kromer adjusted and re-established running dominance by adding wrinkles to the OLine and 12 personnel that made even (newbie to the Rams) CJ Anderson look like an All Pro. The Ram OLine is better than the Cowboy’s OLine but the media is still living in 2016 so this is their “surprise”. Kromer is more valuable than Waldron and Taylor combined. He is the Yin to McVay’s Yang.

2. Wade Phillips is wisely patient. Does anyone else remember how Phil Jackson used to let his talented but overly creative Laker team flounder on their own until getting beat would make them listen to him? Wade allows his players be themselves (Peters, Suh, Joyner, Fowler) and learn the hard way so that they will be ready to do the right things when those things matter most. Why else was the defense SOOOO MUCH better closing games than they were starting them? It’s CLOSING TIME in the playoffs. The promise we envisioned pre-season is about to have a bigger role to success than the offense... Surprise

3. Cooks and Woods are the best remaining WR duo remaining in the playoffs. The Saints have Thomas and the Chiefs have Hill, but none have a duo as productive as the Rams. I suppose this won’t be recognized until the Super Bowl by anyone outside our circle here.

4. The Rams don’t have a Gronkowski or Kelce but the combination of Higbee and Everett are integral to postseason success without Cooper Kupp. McVay made Reed and Davis spectacular impact players in Washington. The development has been slower in Los Angeles, but one of these postseason games will feature the duo that surprises a playoff defense.

5. John Fassel is a genius who, this year, has held back his best stuff for now. Under Fisher, Bones was tasked with propping up an inferior team and game plan. While he has unleashed a few aggressive plays this season, Fassel is about to announce to the world the secret we’ve known for years...he is the best Special Teams Coordinator in the history of the NFL. I dare anyone to name one better.

6. John Johnson III is an unrecognized, perennial Pro Bowl safety. His recognition will finally come when this postseason has completed.

7. Leoram44 drinks twice a week and stays up late posting about the Rams if his ol lady falls asleep. But when he does...Nostradamus envies him.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
So I'm not the only guy who "sometimes" lets the Ol' lady fall asleep to get on board LMAO

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
it was inexperience and somehow Goff was to blame.

it's easier that way. they only have 20 seconds to make their point. imagine trying to explain how losing brockers had a catastrophic effect on the run defense. that two fumbles in the first half gifted the falcons 10 points and had a negative impact on the rams game plan moving forward. it's just easier to say they were inexperienced and goff didn't play well.

many people on this site say the same thing, to which i disagree. goff was far from his best but when it was crunch time and they needed a play he was making them. higbee dropped a simple td pass on 3rd down then watkins dropped another on 4th down. sure he was held and it should have been 1st down again, but his arms were free and the ball hit him in the hands. then next drive goff threw a perfect bomb that would have been a td and the ball went right through sammy's hands. goff can only deliver the ball. the receivers have to catch it.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The media narrative is set. The Rams had an explosive offense that shined against the Vikings and Chiefs but were exposed against the Bears and Eagles.
3. Cooks and Woods are the best remaining WR duo remaining in the playoffs. The Saints have Thomas and the Chiefs have Hill, but none have a duo as productive as the Rams. I suppose this won’t be recognized until the Super Bowl by anyone outside our circle here.

m.
The Rams are the better team, overall. However, the Rams have trouble against a defense that is stout between the tackles. The Eagles and Bears dominated the Rams interior. The offense was stymied for 3+ quarters. Saints were stout agains the run, and the Rams had no balance while Brees went up and down the field.

The Rams team is based on the offense's ability to control games. Right now, only the Rams, Saints and Colts are controlling the entire game (CHiefs have a better offense, but it doesn't control).

THe Rams offense has passed and controlled the whole game against the teams with 1-2 great Edge rushers (Chargers, Chiefs and Vikings). However, Fletch Cox, and Akiem from Eagles and Bears got in Goff's face---they were bad. And, the Rams couldn't go up the gut against the Saints in the 2nd quarter (when the game became 35-14 at one point). The Rams, surprisingly to me, controlled the two stout DTs on the Vikings---but, hey the fatman don't like 4 days rest between games.

Because Seattle and the Chargers didn't have a dominate DT, the Rams put up 35,33 and 36 points. I know the 'because' sounds a bit overdone/dramatic....but after analyzing the Rams O line, it is easy to see that Sully and Blyther are smart and tough technicians, but lack power. Teams that control those 2 players can control the Rams offense. The Saints didn't allow the Rams to run up the game, and so the Rams were down 34-14 at one point.

Dallas has a mostly 1 dimensional offense. I think Rams focus on the run, and Dak will be forced to beat them. Don't forget the Rams have trouble with great DTs---and Dallas doesn't really have one, do they? So, Rams offense can control a game pretty well.

Can Rams lose---yes. They have too many players on defense playing like a good badminton team---but, this is the playoffs, and for one game, for pride, they will rise. Zeke gets 23 carries for 71 yards......book it...won't have over 3.7 yards per carry. Brockers and Suh are still men--1 gap scheme or not!

IF THE RAMS DON'T BEAT Dallas, this goes down as a "2003 type of year"....which is worthless to me. Meaning, if the Rams can't beat a one dimensional offense, at home, with an average QB (Dak), the Rams deserve to be at home watching the NFCC.

Yes, Cooks and Woods will shine, and Whit and company will be semi-dominant, and the defense will shut down Zeke just enough...did I mention AD, lol!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I re-watched the Eagles game---first half....Rams were in it....if they won that game not many would talk about the Bears game, except minions like me.....The Goff fumble sort of finalized the last turn of that game.

Also, I would expect the Rams to get whooped again if they had to play in CHicago in December with a hurt Gurley, and 16 year old body frame QB in Goff...really...over and over....too cold for small WRs like Woods and Cooks too....yep Tampa's Defense had Martz's number for every game except 1. Well, the Bears in CHicago, would stop the Rams, the Saints and the Patriots.

All that to say, Rams will beat Dallas....the offense will return to week 3-10 form (not week 11 against KC--those days are gone until Kupp returns and GUrley is healthy)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope McVay has figured out how to beat the tough defense that is strong at LBer and get ahead early, forcing the Cowboys to get desperate and abandon the run.

I am very cautious with my playoff expectations after last years debacle. But even as I write this my gut tells me that the Rams win by a wide margin.

My head says it’s close.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am very cautious with my playoff expectations after last years debacle. But even as I write this my gut tells me that the Rams win by a wide margin.
Yep. I was all too confident last season. That was a painful loss - especially in that we were truly the better team. We just screwed up and it steam rolled us.

I'm thinking this year is different but it is hard to shake that feeling from that ATL game.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Also overlooked, Mark Barron coming on. He played his best game vs the Whiners. Rams in the 4th qtr consistently out play their oponents. O outscoring, D getting sacks, game changing turnovers, dominating the LOS.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yep. I was all too confident last season. That was a painful loss - especially in that we were truly the better team. We just screwed up and it steam rolled us.

I'm thinking this year is different but it is hard to shake that feeling from that ATL game.

That game reminded me of the many times Martz would go passpasspass with Faulk in the backfield. McVay, while the game was close up to the bitter end called 48 pass plays and 16 running plays. A 3 to 1 ratio. And ATL was playing nickel A LOT.

He got trapped into that a couple of times this year and he said he learned his lesson. And he called a couple of well balanced games. This will be critical against the Cowboys.

IMO this game is as much McVay versus Marinelli, or at least that's a big part of it.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

I have always thought Atlanta and the Rams were even. Falcons held eagles to 13 points the next week.....so, Falcons had a pretty good offense.....and then when Brockers left the game, then we couldn't compete

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
That game reminded me of the many times Martz would go passpasspass with Faulk in the backfield. McVay, while the game was close up to the bitter end called 48 pass plays and 16 running plays. A 3 to 1 ratio. And ATL was playing nickel A LOT.

He got trapped into that a couple of times this year and he said he learned his lesson. And he called a couple of well balanced games. This will be critical against the Cowboys.

IMO this game is as much McVay versus Marinelli, or at least that's a big part of it.

Seems like that Nickle defense gives our 11 personnel some issues. Not sure why, we should be able to run against that type of D but it does make me scratch my head. Hopefully we see some 12 personnel in-lieu of the big nickle. Everette should be able to feast on a smaller safety in run blocking and the passing game if the cowboys decide to run that big nickle with a safety in the box. I also think we'll see more CJ than we think vs. the boys. He seems to be a good power runner between the tackles that will punch in the mouth and that's the way we need to play against them. This will also set up the PA pass. Watch the Indy vs. Dallas game. That should be our gameplan.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Diggin the positive vibes regardless of how things happen. (y)

2. Wade Phillips is wisely patient. Does anyone else remember how Phil Jackson used to let his talented but overly creative Laker team flounder on their own until getting beat would make them listen to him? Wade allows his players be themselves (Peters, Suh, Joyner, Fowler) and learn the hard way so that they will be ready to do the right things when those things matter most. Why else was the defense SOOOO MUCH better closing games than they were starting them? It’s CLOSING TIME in the playoffs. The promise we envisioned pre-season is about to have a bigger role to success than the offense... Surprise

I do hope you're right there. Not really worried about the secondary, it's our front seven that will be most challenged this weekend.

IMO to survive deep into these playoffs the Rams need to morph into a more ball control type team with a determined run game and timely play action strikes, moreso than the wide open assault they were pre-Kupp injury. Our offense has a good line and might have found a really nice piece for that in Anderson, so yeah if the defense can step up to complement that style of play the Rams will be in good shape.

Again, though, gonna gear up and get rowdy and enjoy this game regardless. And be thankful that we're in the playoffs with a chance to do something special.

jjab360

Legend
All that to say, Rams will beat Dallas....the offense will return to week 3-10 form (not week 11 against KC--those days are gone until Kupp returns and GUrley is healthy)
You do realize Kupp didn't play in that game and that Gurley only had 12 carries and it was one of only two games all season where he didn't have a TD right?

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
You do realize Kupp didn't play in that game and that Gurley only had 12 carries and it was one of only two games all season where he didn't have a TD right?
I do....saw it about 5 times already.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Seems like that Nickle defense gives our 11 personnel some issues. Not sure why, we should be able to run against that type of D but it does make me scratch my head. Hopefully we see some 12 personnel in-lieu of the big nickle. Everette should be able to feast on a smaller safety in run blocking and the passing game if the cowboys decide to run that big nickle with a safety in the box. I also think we'll see more CJ than we think vs. the boys. He seems to be a good power runner between the tackles that will punch in the mouth and that's the way we need to play against them. This will also set up the PA pass. Watch the Indy vs. Dallas game. That should be our gameplan.

I would also like to see CJ in the backfield with Gurley then Gurley moving out to the slot presnap to occupy a LB. This design could gash the defense with some nice runs and could be used in a couple of different ways. Keeping Gurley in the slot or motioning him out to the other side and running or passing out of that formation a couple of times and just having him come out of the backfield into the slot.

Another benefit is that if they do put a safety in the box as you suggest this will remove him. If they go 4 wide, one being Gurley motioning out of the backfield, and CJ in the backfield that will get the safety out fast. They could even go 3 wide and a TE.

He needs to use these two in tandem effectively, any edge matters in this game.