Surprise, surprise: Rams upset 49ers --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Surprise, surprise: Rams upset 49ers

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c04f98fa-febc-52ac-9e37-65b0fe07583a.html

SANTA CLARA, Calif. • They were given up for dead a week ago in Kansas City. Battered, bruised and beaten. Two starters lost for the season. An injury report twice as long as the team’s sack total for the season. And yes, another second-half meltdown.

So no one saw this coming, certainly not the San Francisco 49ers. Maybe not even the Rams. But on a day when the Rams’ pass rush returned with a vengeance, the Rams didn’t crumble in the second half. Instead they pulled off an improbable upset, hanging on — barely — to defeat the 49ers 13-10 Sunday at Levi’s Stadium.

It came down to the next-to-last play,

third-and-1 for the 49ers, about a half-yard from the goal line with 9 seconds to play. San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick tried to go up and over on a sneak. Not only did he fail to get over, somewhere in the process he lost the football.

“Jo-Lonn (Dunbar) did a great job recognizing sneak,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “You can just tell a quarterback’s mannerisms when they’re gonna sneak.”

So Dunbar went high on the 6-foot-4 Kaepernick, while Laurinaitis went low.

“He fumbled the snap a little bit,” Laurinaitis said. “A guy that tall, he wants to catch it and jump over the pile.”

As Laurinaitis went low, he said: “I could see the ball sitting there. Usually in scrums like that, you’ve got to show the refs quick. That way they know the ball was out.”

Laurinaitis did just that, and after a lengthy booth review, the original call stood. Fumble, Rams recover, touchback.

“There was nothing we could see that could change the ruling on the field on the last play at the goal line,” referee Jerome Boger told a pool reporter.

“I know I crossed the line,” Kaepernick said.

Because of the touchback, it was Rams ball on the 20 with 2 seconds remaining. After a kneel-down by quarterback Austin Davis, the Rams left town with their first victory over the 49ers in the Bay Area since 2007. The final score in that game at old Candlestick Park was 13-9 for Scott Linehan’s Rams.

“I know I’ve said it before, but teaching a young team how to win close games is not an easy thing,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “And it doesn’t get any closer than that one today.”

Two plays before the ill-fated sneak by Kaepernick, he threw a 1-yard pass to wide receiver Michael Crabtree toward the right sideline. Running back for the ball, Crabtree came oh-so-close to catching the ball over the goal line for what would’ve been a game-winning touchdown with 19 seconds remaining.

But the ruling on the field was that Crabtree caught the ball short of the goal line. And after a lengthy booth review, which also reviewed whether Crabtree made the catch, the call stood.

There was another close shave at the end of the first half. Phil Dawson’s 55-yard field goal attempt as time expired in the second quarter was well short of the crossbar for San Francisco. Tavon Austin fielded the ball several yards deep, hesitated and then started out of the end zone.

He was a couple of yards out when he suddenly reversed field and appeared to be brought down in the end zone by San Francisco’s Derek Carrier. San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh cut off Boger before he could get off the field for halftime to plead his case. Fisher joined the fray as well.

Another booth review, another play upheld. It was ruled that Austin was knocked back across the goal line by Carrier — and the original call stood.

“The ruling on the field was that the ball-carrier brought the ball out onto the field of play, and there was contact by the defender that forced him back into the end zone,” Boger said.

Had the call been reversed, the 49ers would’ve been awarded with two points for a safety and taken a 12-10 lead at the half. Instead, it remained 10-10 at the half. Imagine how the game-ending possession by San Francisco might have played out if that safety was awarded and the 49ers were trailing only 13-12 and needed just a field goal for the win.

“(Austin) probably should’ve just stayed in once he saw there were too many opponents in the area,” Fisher said. “I don’t know why they reviewed it because the ruling on the field was a touchback. A touchback is a touchback, but obviously the envelope of the end zone is all subject to potential review.

“I was talking to Coach Harbaugh out there and he was kind of hoping it was a safety, and I was kind of hoping it wasn’t.”

It wasn’t, so the Rams headed home with a 3-5 record at the midpoint of the 2014 season. San Francisco, which has been in the past three NFC championship games, and played in the Super Bowl two seasons ago, fell to 4-4.

Just three weeks ago in St. Louis, the 49ers dominated the Rams in the second half at the Edward Jones Dome, winning 31-17. This time around, the 49ers seemingly had everything going their way entering the game.

The Rams were so beat up, with 13 players on their injury report, they scrubbed their regular Wednesday practice routine and held a walk-through instead. Meanwhile, the 49ers had the benefit of a bye week and were rested and healthy for the most part.

When asked if he was surprised by the outcome, Harbaugh replied: “Got to play at the highest level to win football games in this league. Didn’t get that done.”

That was largely because the Rams’ defense played the kind of wire-to-wire game that has eluded them all season but finally arrived in Game 8.

A Rams defense that had managed only six sacks total in its first seven games rang up eight on Kaepernick on Sunday: two apiece by Robert Quinn and William Hayes, and one apiece by Laurinaitis, Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald and Eugene Sims.

For weeks as the Rams struggled to generate a pass rush, Quinn has repeated that all it takes is a snowflake to generate an avalanche. Does eight sacks in one game constitute an avalanche?

“Not quite,” Quinn said, smiling. “Once the first sack came, guys just kind of sparked it and got going. The sacks are picking up and guys are selling out. So hopefully, it doesn’t stop here.”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

fuck off jt you dicknose. why didn't he mention all the calls that went against the rams? that's why i hate most media journalists, always got some sort of agenda instead of just reporting what happened.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
To think the Rams were beat up and the 49ers were coming off their bye and getting their guard back.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Dunbar did a great job of recognising the sneak?

As far as I could see he jumped over the top but didn't get anywhere near Kapernick thereby taking himself completely out of the play. Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure it warrants any praise at all from JL55.

Now JL55 himself deserves loads of praise cus he was excellent in this game

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No surprise here. The light finally came on, on the defensive side of the ball. (knew it would just when) This is what all the opposing OCs were shuttering about before the season started. If this sticks (and it will) we will be in every game we play the rest of the year. The defense will give use the opportunity to win.

Tweed335

UDFA
Dunbar did a great job of recognising the sneak?

As far as I could see he jumped over the top but didn't get anywhere near Kapernick thereby taking himself completely out of the play. Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure it warrants any praise at all from JL55.

Now JL55 himself deserves loads of praise cus he was excellent in this game

I completely agree, but another way to look at it is, it's pretty much a 50/50 play by Dunbar. He went left and CK went right, but what he did was at least take one side away, and due to good communication between JLD and JL, JL went to the right hole and the sneak was contested and stopped. At least there was recognition, communication, and it was contested, rather than letting him just walk in.

Not saying you weren't grateful for the result, but had CK went to Dunbar's side, JLD would be the vaunted hero this morning.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I completely agree, but another way to look at it is, it's pretty much a 50/50 play by Dunbar. He went left and CK went right, but what he did was at least take one side away, and due to good communication between JLD and JL, JL went to the right hole and the sneak was contested and stopped. At least there was recognition, communication, and it was contested, rather than letting him just walk in.

Not saying you weren't grateful for the result, but had CK went to Dunbar's side, JLD would be the vaunted hero this morning.

Fair point and very true. He would also have taken Kap's head off if he had gone that way

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Its been an old pass down saying down here....better NOT try to mess with anything that is hurting & wounded......they will hurt you with really bad results.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
They said we starting bringing pressure for the other side of Quinn........You mean from the spot that's normally manned by Chris Long....and he's been out for a while. And you finally did this and lo and behold the sacks show up........... Guess what...here's my shocked face....
9311d1355706721-invicta-jason-taylor-line-etrade-kid-shocked-face.jpg

Wow...it took us 7 games to figure out that out....... Not good...........But at least we did it against SF........(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“I know I crossed the line,” Kaepernick said.
Too Bad , the ball didn't! :p

That was largely because the Rams’ defense played the kind of wire-to-wire game that has eluded them all season but finally arrived in Game 8.
Game #8, 8 Sacks. Game #9 ? 9 would be Fine! (y)(y)

For weeks as the Rams struggled to generate a pass rush, Quinn has repeated that all it takes is a snowflake to generate an avalanche. Does eight sacks in one game constitute an avalanche?
The Snow Ball is just starting to roll down the Hill!! :D

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
It's never a surprise beating the 49ers' mediocre talent. What is the surprise is beating the refs, unforced turnovers and other luck that usually gives the 49ers wins they didn't earn. Without their usual +3 or +4 turnover margin the 49ers are a bad team. Harbaugh is 11-13 with a +0 or less, he can't win without a free advantage, any adversity at all breaks down him and his team crying like little babies.

jap

Legend
They said we starting bringing pressure for the other side of Quinn........You mean from the spot that's normally manned by Chris Long....and he's been out for a while. And you finally did this and lo and behold the sacks show up........... Guess what...here's my shocked face....

It wasn't just Hayes and Sim coming from the left DE spots, but also jitterbug Aaron and Brockers up the middle were balancing The Mighty One's efforts.

fearsomefour

Legend

freak off jt you dicknose. why didn't he mention all the calls that went against the rams? that's why i hate most media journalists, always got some sort of agenda instead of just reporting what happened.

The only bad calls I remember are the clear fumble blown dead in the first half that would have been a TD for JL and Austin stepping out on the punt return.....oh right, thats 14 points and changes everything....carry on.

fearsomefour

Legend
Held Gore and the Whiners to a low per carry average....that has been the difference in the recent Whiner games as much as anything. Kap had a couple of balls that could have been/should have been picked. The Rams left multiple scores on the field....Davis underthrowing Britt for an easy walk in score....the first half fumble picked up by JL....the punt return (although they did call penalties on both teams so it would have been kicked over, unless that was sort of a CYA call because they realized they blew Austin stepping out of bounds). This game could have easily been a Rams win 27-12 (I will even give them the safety at the end of first half). Rams D just outplayed them all day, up and down.
Will be interesting the next two weeks.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
It wasn't just Hayes and Sim coming from the left DE spots, but also jitterbug Aaron and Brockers up the middle were balancing The Mighty One's efforts.
I hear you. But I am stunned they had the guts to admit this openly. It's a almost laughable that our defensive coaching staff figured out what most of us already do. Chris Long has a great first step and because he's in the QB's normal vision, he can see him, so he adjusts....right into Quinn who he can't. This formulae has been slowly coming together ever since we drafted Quinn. And now add Donald collapsing the inside of the pocket and you have the recipe for........fun......for us Rams fans that is.....but it's kind of scary they finally realized a stategy everyone was employing of running away from Quinn when they don't have to worry about Long.
But as a side note..... I thought yesterday was one of the better games I have seen Hayes play. Certainly this year. He seemed to be trying to run to the QB instead of getting pressure from the outside. It was more "Long-like". But very solid game.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I like how Kaep is all upset about crossing the line. Too bad you fumbled in the process BITCH.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Was I pleasantly surprised by the outcome? Yes. Did I know the Rams always had this kind of preformed in them? Yes.

The title of the article may be true for 9er fans and national media, because this game was a surprise, but to be quite honest we Rams fans know we should have beat them the first time. The difference is we played 4 quarters instead of 29 minutes

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
JT never mentioned the two blown calls against the Rams that would've made it 27-12... even some Whiner fans admitted that. Both of the calls he mentions seemed correct as called, or as the refs & the head of officiating said, it was impossible to tell from multiple angles if a knee was down, etc., so the call stands on the field. Is JT a 49 homer???? The guys at Walter Football also had a 49-homer recap of the game. No one, except some reasonable 49 fans, want to admit that the 49ers were BEATEN.
Very interesting comment by Quinn at the end... possibly the D-Line has been playing too tentatively, and once the first sack happened, they loosened up a bit. But yes, it took long enough for them to start compensating for Long's absence on the line. Glad they figured it out now!