Suh at DE...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
by golly I think you are right... I don't think that RT barely got a hand on him. Suh just side stepped him & charged. Great play at the right time.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I've been wondering why Donald hasn't been playing more outside. But Suh will do.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Our defensive line is struggling a bit. I would like to see more of the players rotating positions on the line. It seems to have some success.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
This Dline got those sacks towards the end of the game when they were one dimensional.

I am seriously concerned about our edge rush it is terrible! This is absolutely the weakness of the team.

fearsomefour

Legend
This Dline got those sacks towards the end of the game when they were one dimensional.

I am seriously concerned about our edge rush it is terrible! This is absolutely the weakness of the team.
Hard to argue.
Samson tends to get swallowed up by tackles.
Longacre looks slow and just doesn't get around the corner.
The guy I thought might have potential at OLB was Easley. He still may. A lot of season left. Hopefully he gets back on.
I would think he would do well setting the edge and getting some rush.
Franklin-Myers had been good and continues to improve. He got pressure a couple of times tonight and of course sealed the game with his strip of cousins.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
JFM absolutely dipped that left shoulder so low & hurled himself at Kirk... can't teach that folks. I'm excited to see mor eof him.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
Yeah, I've been wondering why Donald hasn't been playing more outside. But Suh will do.
I believe we might see more of that to eliminate some of the holding against Suh/Donnald that goes on in the middle of the line.... if anything make the holds more obvious when you're 1/1 ... anything to help the blind refs :whistle:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I saw where the rams are blitzing 20% less this year. They can do this because of the pressure the dline brings. Maybe if they are blitzing as much as last year then the sacks are there but with the quick releases of today's qbs perhaps wade prefers to keep the pressure on the qbs while forcing them to throw into heavier coverage.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Honestly, I like it. Suh inside on running downs, Suh outside on passing downs. Its harder to double-team him at that position.

Wade with the adjustments again, like Brockers moving to DE last year.

TexasRam

Legend
The last price of the Super Bowl puzzle is edge rusher.

We need to find one before the season is over or we aren’t bringing a trophy home.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Vikes' OL held so much tonight that they were too exhausted by the fourth quarter to cheat any more. Suh outside looked like it surprised the OT to the point where he was just frozen.

And that sack dance. :rolllaugh:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Am I mistaken or did both of Suh's sacks over the last two weeks come at DE??
True He was not playing the NT post when he got his two sacks. He lined up outside & went through the two RT's.
Hard to argue.
Samson tends to get swallowed up by tackles.
Longacre looks slow and just doesn't get around the corner.
The guy I thought might have potential at OLB was Easley. He still may. A lot of season left. Hopefully he gets back on.
I would think he would do well setting the edge and getting some rush.
Franklin-Myers had been good and continues to improve. He got pressure a couple of times tonight and of course sealed the game with his strip of cousins.
https://www.therams.com/news/injury-report-9-28-mcvay-provides-updates-on-talib-easley

McVay said outside linebacker Dominique Easley could be out for some time. With his history of knee injuries, Easley is apparently having some complications related to everything he’s been through before.

“We're looking into it and this poor guy has been through a whole lot,” McVay said. “In terms of exactly what that means, you just look at how much his knee has been through, the amount of surgeries, the way that he has persevered through it. It might be something that if he has to get that thing cleaned up again, it will be a tough situation. We're still evaluating, but it's looking like it could be something that could keep him out for a while.”Easley had been productive after moving to the outside linebacker spot during training camp, drawing a pair of holding calls in Los Angeles’ first two games of the season.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I noticed as well. It looked like a traditional 4-3 front with Suh and JFM on the outside. Maybe it's a wrinkle we will see more of.

John Franklin-Myers is far more DL'er than a 34 D OLB'er. Wade has been using JFM on both sides on the egde at times. However most of the snaps that JFM goes in is when Wade orders up a four man DL on passing downs. In the standard 34 D lineup JFM goes in to give Brockers a rest.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Our defensive line is struggling a bit. I would like to see more of the players rotating positions on the line. It seems to have some success.

If by struggling you mean not able to escape holds, I agree. Eventually the refs will have to start calling holds, but I am not going to hold my breath, already been waitng several years for this to happen.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
John Franklin-Myers is far more DL'er than a 34 D OLB'er. Wade has been using JFM on both sides on the egde at times. However most of the snaps that JFM goes in is when Wade orders up a four man DL on passing downs. In the standard 34 D lineup JFM goes in to give Brockers a rest.

I honestly think our blindside rush is best with him at ROLB. He's not the best on the contain, but he brings some speed plus power, a nice combo, on the rush. And that swipe he made on the ball to win the game was heads up as F.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I honestly think our blindside rush is best with him at ROLB. He's not the best on the contain, but he brings some speed plus power, a nice combo, on the rush. And that swipe he made on the ball to win the game was heads up as F.
Ebukam usually lines up @ that Right side ER/OLB post. What @fearsomefou said about Ebukam in correct IMO. But he does cover some ground when he not tied up in traffic. JFM does a better job remaining UNtied with blockers. But when your over 6-4/290 & is as fast a Ebukam you understand why.

Now that ER/OLB Dom Easley is out for a long while Wade is going to have to find a solution or some new wrinkles with the Defensive players still remaining healthy. With Wade all ready short of OLB'er s they may be forced to IR Easley quickly once they get a full results on those knees. OLB Matt Longacre is still not back to where he was this time last year. Leaving rookies Lawler & Young as his only releivers. Trevon young was active for the first time Thursday for the injured Easley. If I recall correctly Coach Barry liked OLB Marcus Martin who he just signed last week. So that bares watching too.

Wade might get our drafted 6th round NT his first regullar season a look too. #69 Sebastian Joseph-Day is as big as Suh is a bonafied true NT. Having another NT available & getting some regular season action now may come in handy later this season. If Joseph-Day can play it allows Suh & Brockers an added big NT run supporter into the mix & might permit Suh more oportunities to play one of the outside DL post as the need pass rusher!.

Wade might just go with your thoughts on flipping Ebukam back to the side he played last season & give JFM a starting Right OLB post. Then use Matt Longacre in relief of Ebukam/JFM. It would be odd that our OLB'er @ 6-4 290 playing next to DL'er Aaron Donald who is under 6-1 & less than 280 lbs.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
True He was not playing the NT post when he got his two sacks. He lined up outside & went through the two RT's.

https://www.therams.com/news/injury-report-9-28-mcvay-provides-updates-on-talib-easley

McVay said outside linebacker Dominique Easley could be out for some time. With his history of knee injuries, Easley is apparently having some complications related to everything he’s been through before.

“We're looking into it and this poor guy has been through a whole lot,” McVay said. “In terms of exactly what that means, you just look at how much his knee has been through, the amount of surgeries, the way that he has persevered through it. It might be something that if he has to get that thing cleaned up again, it will be a tough situation. We're still evaluating, but it's looking like it could be something that could keep him out for a while.”Easley had been productive after moving to the outside linebacker spot during training camp, drawing a pair of holding calls in Los Angeles’ first two games of the season.
Bummer.
Was looking forward to Easley finally getting to play and e productive, which I think he could have been.
He appears to be deadwood.....is Barron far behind?