Suffocating to serviceable? 49ers’ defense trending in wrong direction

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Suffocating to serviceable? 49ers’ defense trending in wrong direction

There’s no longer talk about the 49ers’ defense reaching the level of historically great units such as the 1985 Bears, 2000 Ravens or 2013 Seahawks.

Why? Because for nearly two months, it hasn’t looked like the imposing unit it was early in the season.

Thanks to a stiffer schedule and a host of injuries, the 49ers’ second-ranked defense, downright scary in its first seven games, has been closer to serviceable in the past seven games.

Consider:

• The 49ers allowed the second-fewest points per game (11) in the NFL from Weeks 1-8 (their bye was in Week 4). Since then, they’ve allowed the 24th most (25.9).

• After setting a franchise record by posting at least three sacks in eight straight games, they’ve managed just three combined in their past three games.

• After setting the tone in their season opener with three interceptions, two of which they returned for touchdowns, they’ve had one interception in their past seven games.

• Finally, in their past three games — a win against the Saints and losses against the Ravens and Falcons — the defense has allowed a go-ahead score in the final minute.

In October, after the 49ers limited quarterback Jared Goff to 48 net passing yards and didn’t allow a point in the final 54 minutes of a 20-7 road win over the defending NFC champion Rams, it didn’t seem as if the lofty standard cornerback Richard Sherman’s spelled out was unattainable.

“We aspire every year to be compared to one of the great defenses of all time: the ’85 Bears, the 2000 Ravens, and the (1970s Steelers) ‘Steel Curtain,’” Sherman said.

Two months later, defensive coordinator Robert Saleh suggested Wednesday the 49ers couldn’t maintain that level of early-season domination, particularly given the injuries they’ve suffered.

“From a statistical standpoint, it was almost historic over those first eight games,” Saleh said. “I almost feel like we kind of spoiled people. We’ve still been playing good. … It’s something that we’ve got to just continue to keep grinding and getting better with the different guys that are coming in and out of the lineup.”

In their past seven games, the 49ers have had five season-opening starters miss a total of 13 games because of injuries. Another starter, Pro Bowl pass rusher Dee Ford, has played just 24 snaps over the past five games because of a hamstring strain.

“Football is a game of tiny, tiny, tiny things,” rookie defensive end Nick Bosa said. “And when you lose a lot of guys with a lot of experience, and you don’t have them on the field, then those little things show up. It’s going to take the guys that are out there to fix those little things. But I think we’ll be just fine.”

The 49ers’ strongest position group, the defensive line, has absorbed season-ending injuries that have wiped out much of that pass-rushing depth. Edge rusher Ronald Blair and his replacement, Damontre Moore, are both on season-ending injured reserve.

Defensive drop-off

The 49ers’ defense — which was rock solid in the first seven games of the season — has stumbled a bit since then. A look at several key categories in the 49ers’ first seven games and the seven games since then:

Points allowed
Total (Avg.)​
NFL rank​
Games 1-7​
77 (11)​
2​
Games 8-14​
181 (25.9)​
24​

Yards allowed
Total (Avg.)​
NFL rank​
Games 1-7​
1,571 (224.4)​
1​
Games 8-14​
2,195 (313.6)​
7​

Sacks
Total (Avg.)​
NFL rank​
Games 1-7​
27 (3.9)​
3​
Games 8-14​
20 (2.9)​
T9​

Takeaways
Total (Avg.)​
NFL rank​
Games 1-7​
16 (2.3)​
T3​
Games 8-14​
10 (1.4)​
T17​

Interceptions
Total (Avg.)NFL rank
Games 1-710 (1.4)T2
Games 8-141 (0.14)32

Instead of bringing defensive linemen in waves and keeping them fresh, the 49ers have had to send the same players at opposing quarterbacks: Bosa, Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner have missed an average of only 7.1 snaps over the past three games.

“We’ve got to find ways to get more of a rotation going,” Saleh said.

The 49ers also have been going against vastly superior quarterbacks.

In their first seven games, the 49ers didn’t face a QB who is currently ranked among the NFL’s top 17 in passer rating. In fact, four of the QBs they played — Cincinnati’s Andy Dalton, Cleveland’s Baker Mayfield, Pittsburgh’s Mason Rudolph and Carolina’s Kyle Allen — have the league’s four lowest quarterback ratings among qualified passers.

In their past seven games, the 49ers have faced five QBs ranked among the league’s top 13 in passer rating. And the other two games have been against Arizona’s promising rookie Kyler Murray, the No. 1 pick who threw four touchdown passes with no interceptions and rushed for 101 yards and a score against the 49ers.

The 49ers have lost to Baltimore’s Lamar Jackson, Seattle’s Russell Wilson and Atlanta’s Matt Ryan. New Orleans’ Drew Brees had five touchdown passes against them in a 48-46 loss.

And, of course, the 49ers are likely to keep facing elite QBs in the playoffs.

Are they up for the challenge? One game over the past two months showed they can summon their early-season domination against a future Hall of Famer: In November, in a 37-8 win over Green Bay, they limited Aaron Rodgers to 66 net passing yards and sacked him five times.

It wasn’t the 1985 Bears, but the 49ers would be happy to take that early 2019 version of their defense to the postseason.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good news for them, Goff is coming to town to lift those Int numbers.
All stats relate to one another.
Still not giving up a ton of yards. But, the turnovers are way down. Meaning, the D is on the field more and the team is not way out in front as much meaning other teams Os are not one dimensional.
It always looks easy when everything is clicking.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Being in the 49er market, I've seen plenty of their games. Yeah, that defense isn't what is was the first half of the season. I'm pretty sure if we beat them it knocks them out of division contention. All the scenarios I tried on the playoff machine had the Seahawks owning the tie breakers if the 49ers beat them in week 17. Knocking them from a possible 1st seed down to the 5th would make my season.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
49'ers are beatable - Falcons just proved that. Vikings are going to be minus Dalvin Cook on Monday with the Packers trying to hold onto the #2 seed.

Let's take a big step this weekend.

Ellard80

Legend
I hope they are trending down... because there defense kicked the living fuck out of us last time.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for making my day @ CGI Ram!

RamWoodie

Legend
SF is just plain good...but it's pretty much the league catching on to their scheme, as well as the tendency of their players.

Just as teams have caught in to the Rams offensive scheme. It's on coaches to constantly counter so they have good success.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
A lot of teams that start hot out of the gate fall off later in the year. It's called putting things on film. Players have weaknesses and tells it takes about 6 to 8 weeks for the NFL to catch up.

dang

Legend
let’s hope Rams bring their A game and give Rams fans an early christmas present and 69ers fans a lump of s#|%. I mean coal.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not holding my breath for a win...

Anyhow I think it’s possible we win Saturday night.

It’s possible the Vikings lose as well in a close game vs the Pack.

It should be an interesting couple of games at the very least.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I would not be at all surprised with a Rams win and I will be watching eagerly.

Has McVay not lost to division teams twice in the same season?

I believe that is correct.