Stuff from Rams pods

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Although it's not strictly a "Rams pod".. the play callers is fun and, I think, gives us some real insight into what the Rams will be doing next year, if you pay attention.
We know the Rams personnel on the Oline is beefier.. that's not an accident. Running the ball is back en vogue as the way to attack the current wave of defenses with lighter boxes and lighter linebackers.
Demoff was asked about what the Rams would be doing, point blank, on "The 11" podcast.. and, of course, didn't answer. But Whitworth, on the Playcallers, talked about what needed to be done in the near future on offense for all teams. He's as wired into the Rams as anyone.. and he talked about running the ball.

I just don't think it could be more clear... we're going to see a more varied run game.. more of it.. and more ability to run power than in recent years.
I do wonder what we end up seeing as the most used personnel grouping... namely.. who are the WRs getting most snaps besides Kupp?

Also.. one HUGE thing I think is illustrated...

McVay's not going anywhere for a while. I think he's figured out quite a few things about himself and his life.. and knows that he loves being a coach in the NFL. Managing how he approaches it and finding a better balance is the key.. but when I hear him talk, it's a guy with a different sense of himself.

As always, we'll see.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I listened to that 11 personnel podcast your talking about with Demoff and when they asked him if the run scheme was going to change with bigger bodies up front he said something to the effect of McVay would kill him if he talked about there run scheme this year. It sounds like they are making some changes.

Ram65

Legend
I stated in the Ryan Wendell thread it was about time the Rams use the power run game more. He is a perfect fit for the Rams O Line coach as an overachieving smart former NFL center. I'm looking forward to a reenergized McVay and offensive line.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yes, we have to run more than outside zone and duo (or even just having an occasional toss play as a switchup). I believe we'll see much more gap and power runs and probably more of those out of shotgun too.

For those of you looking for more lead blockers in the run game, I suspect we'll see an uptick of that too as it's just not done as much in zone running.

It's just so tough, for every additional run play we rep in practice, that's one less other play on offense to get in. And if you want to run everything (running game wise) then that leaves a lot less reps for the passing game (*mostly 3rd down get's cannibalized).

*I'd say that's the one weakness in the 49ers offense is a rather un-diverse 3rd down package. But hey, if you're never in 3rd and long then it's not that much of a problem!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am very hopeful. But I've been hopeful of the run game for years and we won a Super Bowl largely without one. So idk. Feel like McVay is only willing to go so far with that but I would love to see a dominant run game because his offense would be unstoppable. He's as good as anyone in his playcalling when that run game is going. In fact he's damn good when he doesn't have a run game though it's been very hard on his QBs.

Sure would be a fun surprise to see that happen this season. Then watch the asshole experts choke on their excuses when this team outperforms expectations.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am very hopeful. But I've been hopeful of the run game for years and we won a Super Bowl largely without one. So idk. Feel like McVay is only willing to go so far with that but I would love to see a dominant run game because his offense would be unstoppable. He's as good as anyone in his playcalling when that run game is going. In fact he's damn good when he doesn't have a run game though it's been very hard on his QBs.

Sure would be a fun surprise to see that happen this season. Then watch the asshole experts choke on their excuses when this team outperforms expectations.
It feels if he doesn’t have a Gurley prime level RB he’s not going to make it the focal point…imo

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It feels if he doesn’t have a Gurley prome level RB he’s not going to make it the focal point…imo
This is where I am at right now. I think half their problems have simply been the guy they're relying on. But definitely to me it also feels like McVay is half-in at best with the run. It's like a window dressing to him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is where I am at right now. I think half their problems have simply been the guy they're relying on. But definitely to me it also feels like McVay is half-in at best with the run. It's like a window dressing to him.
A few fumbles by Akers and he’ll be right back to half in on the running game.

@Neil039 good point and it could be a conundrum. McVay wants a Gurley level back so that he can trust his run game. However he won’t want to pay a Gurley level runningback. I guess he was willing to roll with McCaffrey but guys like him are few and far between. So does this mean that we may never see a 100% committed to the run under McVay?

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

@Neil039 good point and it could be a conundrum. McVay wants a Gurley level back so that he can trust his run game. However he won’t want to pay a Gurley level runningback. I guess he was willing to roll with McCaffrey but guys like him are few and far between. So does this mean that we may never see a 100% committed to the run under McVay?
I think so unless a trade happens for a Jacobs or Barkley, but reality is the RB has three duties in this offense: Run, Catch and Pass Block. Seems like a unicorn lately.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think so unless a trade happens for a Jacobs or Barkley, but reality is the RB has three duties in this offense: Run, Catch and Pass Block. Seems like a unicorn lately.

I’ll continue to call BS!!! IMO Cam Akers is going to get locked in on a 3 year deal before the season. If not The Rams will regret it because of how well he’ll play in 2023.

LMAO about a TRADE!

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ll continue to call BS!!! IMO Cam Akers is going to get locked in on a 3 year deal before the season. If not The Rams will regret it because of how well he’ll play in 2023.

LMAO about a TRADE!
You must be right because you told us you were.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You must be right because you told us you were.
We’ll check back & see.

The Von Miller trade was amazing.Never thought that would happen.

Cam Akers maturity is undervalued,mainly because last season was Polor opposite..

Mcvay ? What happened with last year was a thing called LIFE catching up to him.I can name 5 major things from the Superbowl to first week of training camp.

Cam Akers & D. Henderson coming in camp out if shape didn’t help either. Then the TE position got over looked,plus Higbee(health)burning the candle on both ends.

There is a lot that goes into the running game.

My question to you or anyone out there have The Rams not resigned players(Goff,Gurley,AD99) to long term deal after there first before the deal was up? AD99 - I just know he held out all training camp & preseason.The other 2 I questioned,but would they have held out?

The RB’s aren’t valued by NFL teams and some of that is the Gurley effect. Cam Akers wasn’t a 1st.rd pick either,so that changes things ??? I can go into this all deeper.

I gave good facts,but what happens & how The Rams feel about Cam Akers will be tested these next 2 months.How he handles himself & progresses will be the deciding factor.
—Health is always a concern,plus mental HEALTH.What happened to Tre Mason through me off. He was pissed Gurley got drafted.That was a time I thought Les Snead was there thinking about having a stable of RB’s.
—I’ll always say D.Cook was the PICK in 2017.Having an extra RB would have put pressure on Todd Gurley.His mental HEALTH(DAWG) was a concern.More DIVA.
—I watch and evaluate players(minds) & careers.Ram players mostly.There are things that can be picked up on.Will only be at 3 camp dates.Can give examples,but Hopkins is a player that might get cut?IMO there is something odd there,but each year can be so different.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For those wondering what the Rams really think of Akers.. on the 11 Personnel podcast, Demoff referred to him as the best player on the Rams offense down the stretch in 20.

Based on who is still there and who is gone and who the Rams have added... I expect a big season from Akers.

Ram65

Legend

Regular season totals.
He may have some bad timing with fumbles but, he is at least average if not better with only 3 fumbles with only 3 in 338 rushing attempts. Plus he has 27 receptions. Rams lost all three fumbles.

2022 Rushing​

See All
STATS
Regular Season
Career

CARYDSAVGTDLNGRECYDSAVGTDLNGFUMLST

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I dunno... seems for a team that didn't have a run game in 21', he certainly kept trying to run it in the playoffs and Super Bowl.