Studs and duds from Rams' Week 6 loss to 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_13512381.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 14 hours ago

Coming out of Sunday’s loss to the 49ers, the Rams are left with plenty of questions. Have defenses figured Sean McVay out? Is Jared Goff truly a franchise quarterback? Is the offensive line the worst in the NFL?
The Rams have found themselves in an unfamiliar position, losing three games in a row and dropping all the way back to 3-3 after starting 3-0. There’s still plenty of time for them to turn things around, but with the inconsistency they’ve experienced, it won’t be easy.

Week 6 was yet another example of a lack of identity on offense and the Rams’ inability to play a complete game. The defense stepped up, but the offense lagged well behind.
While the standout performances on defense are encouraging, the terrible showing on offense raises some red flags.

Studs

Aaron Donald
Donald continued his dominance of the 49ers on Sunday, adding two more sacks to his career total against San Francisco. He also had three tackles for loss and hit Jimmy Garoppolo three times in the game, forcing a fumble on his second sack. He played a big part in the Rams limiting the 49ers to just 99 yards rushing, too.

Cory Littleton
Littleton isn’t great as a run defender, but he and Troy Reeder stepped up against the league’s No. 1 rushing attack. Littleton led the team with 14 tackles and recovered a fumble, also knocking away one pass. The pass breakup he had should’ve been an interception, too, as he read Garoppolo’s eyes and stepped in front of the throw. Had he caught it, which he should have, it would’ve been a walk-in touchdown.

Nickell Robey-Coleman
Robey-Coleman only played 30 snaps, but he was productive despite that limited playing time. He made two tackles for loss on screen passes and provided good coverage in the slot, as he typically does. Marcus Peters was solid, too, as the Rams held San Francisco’s wide receivers to only nine catches for 89 yards on the day.

Sebastian Joseph-Day
Joseph-Day quietly had a very good game against the 49ers. He was in the backfield often as a pass rusher and against the run, recording a tackle for loss, six total tackles and a quarterback hit. Joseph-Day is fairly quick for a guy his size and has provided a boost at nose tackle this season – especially on Sunday.

Duds

Dante Fowler Jr.
Fowler played 62 snaps this week, facing the 49ers’ backup tackles on the left and right side. Yet, he was called for more penalties than he had tackles. He finished with one tackle assist, no quarterback hits, no sacks and no tackles for loss. Essentially, he was blanked by San Francisco’s second-string tackles. His offsides penalty on the 49ers’ first touchdown drive was costly because the Rams would’ve gotten off the field on that third-down play. Instead, it gave the 49ers another chance and they took full advantage.

Brian Allen
Allen’s play has gotten to the point where the Rams should consider making a change at center. He allowed a sack, was beaten by pass rushers regularly and outside of the first drive, he didn’t do much in the running game, either. It was a difficult matchup for him, but the Rams need Allen to be better on the interior. Otherwise, Jared Goff is going to be under constant pressure up the middle.

Jared Goff
Goff has had worse games in terms of turnovers and poor decisions, but statistically, this was his least productive performance ever. He threw for 78 yards on 24 attempts, averaging 3.25 yards per attempt. He missed a wide-open Gerald Everett late in the fourth quarter for what would’ve been a touchdown. He also had a fumble, which was recovered, after a sack by Dee Ford. All of the blame can’t be put on Goff for this one, but he bounced several passes and didn’t look like himself.

Sean McVay
McVay deserves plenty of criticism for this loss. He came out and established the run with a seven-play, 56-yard drive for a touchdown, but after that, the Rams found no rhythm on offense. His play calling in the red zone was questionable, as was his decision to run right at the 49ers’ defensive line in short-yardage situations on third and fourth down after the Rams had been stonewalled before. Overall, the game plan lacked creativity and it hurt the offense.

Rob Havenstein
Havenstein couldn’t handle the 49ers’ edge rushers, specifically Dee Ford. Far too often, Ford collapsed the pocket on Goff when rushing against Havenstein, who has really struggled all season long. Havenstein is supposed to be one of the Rams’ better offensive linemen, but that hasn’t been the case this season.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
We need to get help for AD. He can't do much being double or triple teamed all game long other players need to step up but haven't.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Dante Fowler being beat by two 9er OT's who are filling in for starters is amazing......one of the 9er OT's is a UDFA rookie who started his first NFL game ..... Dominated the former #3 overall first round selection Dante Fowler silly. Appears to me DF Jr. is already working hard on his way out of LA onto greener pastures elsewhere. What happen Sunday afternoon to him should never happen with his talent & skills.

fearsomefour

Legend
Dante Fowler being beat by two 9er OT's who are filling in for starters is amazing......one of the 9er OT's is a UDFA rookie who started his first NFL game ..... Dominated the former #3 overall first round selection Dante Fowler silly. Appears to me DF Jr. is already working hard on his way out of LA onto greener pastures elsewhere. What happen Sunday afternoon to him should never happen with his talent & skills.
How much help were the tackles given?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would think that if there were extra help it would go to Aaron Donald issue would you think. I do know this I saw DF one on one by a blocking TE several times. DF did not have one solo tackle last Sunday.
Brockers is another one not living up to his contract.
I have always been a big fan of Brockers & his sacrifice for this team so AD could be placed in a position to be what he is. Brockers has had a lot to do with AD's success IMO (y):).

Now onto your point....when you're playing close to AD who is often targeted with extra OL helpers & you find it hard to make an impact on the field on Sundays then you should be concerned with your play & how to get a better effort while you have the chance while playing with AD who should be advantages to showcasing your effort.

When you add in the very big element that Brockers is one of the top 5 salaried Ram players then this magnifies his non impact performance even more. Brockers has a near $11 million cap hit this season. Thus far this season Brockers is playing more snaps than at any other time in his 8 yr career. He is on a pace to have his most tackles this season.:palm:

Last edited:

Dirigo

Rookie
Name
Andrew

Agreed

No doubt Fowler has been a huge disappointment so far this season. He’s the invisible DE.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It seemed like SJD got more snaps against the 49ers? I know they wanted to rush. Definitely one of the few bright spots this year, I hope he continues.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brockers is another one not living up to his contract.

They could use a nice OG or OT with his salary . Brockers hasn't made enough of an impact to justify his price . He should be making plays with all the attention Donald gets .

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I look for the Rams To cut ties with Fowler, Brockers, and Peters after this season. Hopefully, Weddle and Matthews have another year or too left in them and want to come back.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Didn't matter because there were no long passes. Shanny went with power runs or very short passes to negate our rush. It's what the Pats do when their OL is garbage. Brady takes so few hits because he has options very quickly and usually pretty short which is another reason why he can play longer...

Unfortunately, unlike McVay's scheme relies on zone runs which set up the mid level play action routes.

That's defeated pretty well by blasting both A gaps, amplified by our inexperience on the interior OL.

But as for the D, we got no pressure from the edge because that takes time and Shanny wasn't going to let our D get going. Plus, we made it easier with that damn hybrid zone we were running to accommodate Peters because he's just not a man cover guy. He's an off/zone ballhawk and just not a great fit for this scheme. I had hopes, but Peters is just who he is.

I really don't hold much against our DL this game. We held them in check in the run game, but schematically, we were just in a bad matchup on both sides of the ball.

The moves today are hopefully a big part of addressing these issues as well as bolstering a starting lineup that was decimated with injuries...

fearsomefour

Legend
Didn't matter because there were no long passes. Shanny went with power runs or very short passes to negate our rush. It's what the Pats do when their OL is garbage. Brady takes so few hits because he has options very quickly and usually pretty short which is another reason why he can play longer...

Unfortunately, unlike McVay's scheme relies on zone runs which set up the mid level play action routes.

That's defeated pretty well by blasting both A gaps, amplified by our inexperience on the interior OL.

But as for the D, we got no pressure from the edge because that takes time and Shanny wasn't going to let our D get going. Plus, we made it easier with that damn hybrid zone we were running to accommodate Peters because he's just not a man cover guy. He's an off/zone ballhawk and just not a great fit for this scheme. I had hopes, but Peters is just who he is.

I really don't hold much against our DL this game. We held them in check in the run game, but schematically, we were just in a bad matchup on both sides of the ball.

The moves today are hopefully a big part of addressing these issues as well as bolstering a starting lineup that was decimated with injuries...
Thanks for the great reply.
I did wonder if the Rams punches in that TD and it was 14-14 how much more aggressive the Whiners O would have been.
Once they were up a score Shanny seemed to play a very conservative game.
Given how inept our O was it made sense.