Strauss: Longer deal for Bradford may make sense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Those of you who've never read Joe Strauss is that he was the Cardinals beat writer (pretty good one too) and is now a columnist. He was a bit controversial and referred to himself as "El Diablo"

The narrative outside Earth City doggedly clings to this being Sam Bradford’s make-or-break season as Rams quarterback. It’s as if the only options regarding Bradford are super stardom, Siberia or worse. (Buffalo, perhaps?) Jeff Fisher repeatedly has fielded the question, as has Les Snead. The Rams’ head coach and general manager turn away the notion of a looming pass-fail schedule like so much junk mail.

For a franchise striving for its first winning season since 2003, this is smart on several levels:

It keeps media jackals at bay — at least unless Sam the Ram endures a three-pick Sunday or, heaven forbid, something more than a minor injury.

It lessens pressure on the fourth-year quarterback.

And there is, of course, always the possibility that the organization’s public stance is sincere.

Bradford insists he is unmoved by the chattering class and print speculation. (“I really don’t pay attention to what’s in the media,” he says.) The make-or-break talk gains no traction with Bradford because it makes no sense to him.

“Why would you do that? I really don’t understand it,” Bradford says. “I think you have to approach each year the same that you want to play to the best of your ability and give your team everything you have to give it every possibility to win. If you do that, it’s all you can ask.”

Accept the premise Bradford has shown enough in three seasons to convince his second head coach and third offensive coordinator that he represents an answer rather than a nagging question.

Accept that he is an ascending player on an improving team. Approaching him about a longer-term arrangement backs up an organizational belief that Bradford can elevate this team, not just vice versa.

Such a stance raises an obvious question: If the Rams believe Bradford part of their long-term future, can there possibly be a better time than the present to make him a Ram for Life, or at least the football portion of it?

The answer, at least from the club’s standpoint, is probably not.

Bradford turns 26 in November. He will be 28 when his current deal expires after the 2015 season. He will average $15 million a season for the balance of the contract. For now he is the league’s ninth highest-paid quarterback.

To say the club is committed long-term to Bradford is to say it is convinced he will improve upon his rookie year’s 60 percent completion rate or last season’s career-best 3,702 yards. Bradford also threw 21 touchdowns against 13 interceptions, marked improvement over his total 24 TD passes against 21 interceptions in 2010-11. Bradford enjoyed his first 350-yard passing day last December against Minnesota, a devastating home loss earmarked by an inability to contain Vikings running back Adrian Peterson.

Bradford amassed a single-game passer rating of 100.0 or better four times last season after doing so three times in his first 26 NFL starts, including none during his battered 2012.

Engaging Bradford now regarding a contract extension would reinforce the organization’s public commitment. One assumes any such discussion would involve adding at least three years to the current framework, taking him through his 31st birthday.

The Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens in March paid a premium to retain quarterback Joe Flacco for six years at $120.6 million. (The final two seasons are options.)

Though Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford had two years plus an option remaining on his deal, he and the club reached agreement last month on a three-year, $53 million extension. Stafford turns 26 next February.

To his credit Bradford calls a potential extension “the furthest thing from my mind right now.” He notes he has as much of his first deal ahead of him as behind him. Bradford insists any such talk would only involve his St. Louis-based agent, Tom Condon.

Bradford’s fixation is instead a familiar offense that has added speed since last season. Reticent to discuss his thoughts about finances, he volunteers his enthusiasm for the scheme and its personnel.

“For the first time in my career we’re going into the second year of an offense,” Bradford said after Tuesday’s late afternoon workout, attended by owner Stan Kroenke, among others. “It’s amazing how much difference it makes when you’re not having to learn an offense. I don’t think the average fan realizes what it’s like trying to learn something as opposed to fine tuning it. ”

By all accounts Bradford fits the St. Louis blueprint. He carries Oklahoma heritage. He enjoys the Midwestern experience rather than craving a coastal experience. He presents an understated, even humble persona that plays well here. He drives a pick-up, likes to golf and seems to smile more than laugh uncontrollably. Bradford appears to play well with others, at least when operating on something more than a high left ankle sprain. In other words, he seems to like it here.

The Rams under current leadership act as a confident bunch. Rather than offer trepidation, they act as a franchise confident of a three-year blueprint that carries through the 2014 season. In all permutations that blueprint focuses on Bradford.

If Bradford and this offense evolve further for a team that challenges or even reaches the postseason, Bradford only gains leverage. A year after ranking ninth in the conference and 18th in the league in passer rating, he fits the description of a player poised for breakout.

The Rams are at a place where they might bet big(ger) on Bradford’s future. Of course, Bradford similarly is at a place where he could bet big on himself.

FRO

Legend
I'd be shocked if Bradford didn't have a big year. If I were the Rams I would try and get a deal done before he has that mister year. Buy low.

Milamber11

UDFA
Name
George
I think Sam will play better and put up better stats when Snead and Kroenke are 110% behind him, Bradford has soooo much talent, we have only seen glimpses of it, the contract will give him so much confidence, hope he signs soon :)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Milamber11 said:
I think Sam will play better and put up better stats when Snead and Kroenke are 110% behind him, Bradford has soooo much talent, we have only seen glimpses of it, the contract will give him so much confidence, hope he signs soon :)
Welcome to the board.

I don't know that a new contract would do much for Bradford's confidence. I just don't see him as someone who's motivated by that kind of thing. To me, that would signify that he was without confidence prior to the new deal, and I just don't think that's the case. He's been a confident athlete his entire life.

That said, a new deal would help the Rams quite a bit. If they can smooth out his cap hit over an additional 3 years (5 total) instead of seeing it spike after this year, then that would be a pretty big benefit. The only stumbling block to that is Tom Condon. He tends to get premium dollars for his clients, and if Bradford has a breakout year this year, then he's going to want that extension to match that of the upper tier QBs. THAT could result in his extension being MORE than what Bradford is to be paid in the next two years (annually).

V3

Hall of Fame
The best argument for signing Bradford to a new extension would be to see all the heads explode on the Anti-Bradford trolls. That alone would be worth the cost of Bradford's new contract.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
V3 said:
The best argument for signing Bradford to a new extension would be to see all the heads explode on the Anti-Bradford trolls. That alone would be worth the cost of Bradford's new contract.

I would love that.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
V3 said:

Agreed. :lol:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I guess it's always a gamble for the front office when doing contract extensions for star players, especially QBs.

Condon is a smart agent and he realizes Sam is poised for a potentially monster numbers season so I doubt he is too motivated to work a deal right now unless he thought the Rams were ready to pony up big. And the Rams are probably ready to see a little more "show me" action from Sam before they bite. It wouldn't surprise me about mid-season, when the Rams are 6-1, 7-1, 8-1, that both sides might start to talk behind the scenes.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think Demoff said in one of his chats somewhere on the web that Bradford will be restructured after this season and the reason it's going to be then is that is what the CBA allows. You have to wait a certain time before doing a deal over.

He pretty much said it out loud that they are going to restructure but the posters who want to see Bradford go tend to ignore stuff like that.

That said it'll be set up to make it cap friendly just in case they have to cut him a year later.

The thing I'm waiting for is when SK announces he is building his own stadium in STL. I'm going to rub that shit in some faces until the end of time. My dying Kahn-like last breath will be "I fuckin' told you the Rams aren't moving".