Strange Fears

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I was just wondering if anyone else has any strange or irrational fears? For me it's crabs (the sea creature, not the disease). For as long as I can remember I've been utterly terrified of them. I only mention it as someone told me today that I'm not alone and it's a real phobia- kabourophobia apparently. Funnily enough people just laugh when I tell them!

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Spiders. I don't go catatonic or anything, but I do flinch. I often imagine seeing them on walls when they aren't there. Obviously, I stomp, squish or sweep away any that I find.

But when I found black widows when we lived in California, I usually paused and planned it out. Freak me out that much. Fortunately, they aren't up here in the Northwest.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Biggest phobia has to be heights. I get paralyzed when I'm higher than five feet off the ground. And when it's higher than that...I don't even want to talk about it. I clearly remember a time when I was a teenager that tried to go cliff jumping in Arkansas. The only way I got down was when someone else pushed me off.

Irrational fears...cemetaries or anywhere where there are coffins definitely rank up there. Mirrors are another one. And the weirdest one of all...tapeworms. Yes, you heard me right: tapeworms.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Memento said:
Biggest phobia has to be heights. I get paralyzed when I'm higher than five feet off the ground. And when it's higher than that...I don't even want to talk about it. I clearly remember a time when I was a teenager that tried to go cliff jumping in Arkansas. The only way I got down was when someone else pushed me off.
I too have this phobia. I hate heights. I used to get scared if I was on a balcony higher than two stories. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it still effects me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Alligators. I have no idea why, but as a kid I always thought I was gonna be killed by an alligator. My brother and I also got lost way out in the everglades once, and they were all over the place. That probably has something to do with it, but I still can't go near canals anymore.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Interesting .......

I have two. Heights and Spiders. Funny to see both listed already.

Heights
My Dad is a pilot,,, and he used to purposely scare the shit out of me as a young kid doing some dive bombs and act like we'd lost power. He's a maniac. He never put me in danger that I KNEW OF.

I also had an elevator fall 3 floors with me in it alone when I was like 8 or 9.

Driving over super high bridges/overpasses is never good for me either. My knees buckle.

Spiders
I don't want to bore you with all of the spider attacks I've encountered living in a tropical / sub-tropical environment for almost my whole life. Here's a couple that still give me chills though.

My Dad brought home a bird eating tarantula as a pet. This thing was massive. He put it on top of the sheet in the bed with me while I was sleeping. It was fucking crawling up towards my face... That was it's last move just so you know. I woke up and Freaked,,, killing that hairy beast in the process of my spastic reaction.

Banana spiders here in FL are very large. They used to build webs that would stretch from one orange tree to another in my Grandparents' orange grove. I would ride my dirt bike through the grove and pick these monsters up in my face and on my head. I remember one was on the top of my head and it was so big that it's legs were touching both of my ears while I was crashing my bike.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Mine is kind of a social quirk. I hate to ask people for things that would require them to go out of their way for me. So much so I have an inability to ask for it. Its almost like a fear of rejection, except much more circumstantial.

As an example, Im currently applying to a plethora of grad schools. Some of the schools Im applying to are top 20 schools. I have put in a tremendous amount of time and effort to get myself into the position where these schools are even considering me for admission. The one thing that is holding up the application process is the letters of recommendation letters. Almost every program requires them and I cant get myself to ask people I know would willingly write me a letter.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm pretty sure I would be terrified of tropical spiders if I ever saw one, thankfully there are no animals designed specifically to kill you in the UK... It's one of the reasons I rather enjoy it here.

The fear of rejection (if that's how you explain the recommendation thing) I can kind of relate to, although yours sounds worse. I quite often find myself not doing things or delaying things for fear that it won't have my favoured outcome. I eventually got into grad school after manning up and sending the forms off, I start in a couple of weeks. Let us know how you get on!

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Im terrorfied of birds and small mammals... Especially ones that move fast, like mice, and squirrels. My girlfriends cat had 3 kittens two months ago. Before she went to work she said its about time it went into labor. So a few hours later I went to put on my shorts, that were on the floor. I picked them up and they felt heavier than normal. So i kinda shook them and a new born kitten feel out! I almost killed myself trying to get away from it! If only there was a camera in the room, lol. It took me about 20min to go back in the room to get my shorts... And i stood on the bed just to be sure the kitten didnt.... Attack me i guess, lol. And im not to fond of dead mammals either. I would literally cross the street to pass a dead carcous.

Another weird phobia i have is hearing my heart beat (told u it was weird). You know how u get your blood pressure checked and the thing squeezes your arm and you can hear/feel your heart beating? That spooks me out.
Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fastcat said:
Im terrorfied of birds and small mammals... Especially ones that move fast, like mice, and squirrels. My girlfriends cat had 3 kittens two months ago. Before she went to work she said its about time it went into labor. So a few hours later I went to put on my shorts, that were on the floor. I picked them up and they felt heavier than normal. So i kinda shook them and a new born kitten feel out! I almost killed myself trying to get away from it! If only there was a camera in the room, lol. It took me about 20min to go back in the room to get my shorts... And i stood on the bed just to be sure the kitten didnt.... Attack me i guess, lol. And im not to fond of dead mammals either. I would literally cross the street to pass a dead carcous.

Another weird phobia i have is hearing my heart beat (told u it was weird). You know how u get your blood pressure checked and the thing squeezes your arm and you can hear/feel your heart beating? That spooks me out.
Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
Hey - welcome to the board!

Your comment about small animals reminded me of a Kevin Pollack appearance on a National radio show where he was doing an impression of Christopher Walken. If you're on Tapatalk you won't see this YouTube video, but the first couple of minutes are what I'm referring to. Funny stuff.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xKXbOVbAvE[/youtube]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
RATS.... I HATE RATS!!!!

I suppose it's not really a phobia but the dirty little disease ridden rodents make my skin crawl. My first kill with my longbow was actually a rat. Stuck him to the outside wall of my wife's studio from 20 yards. Mighty fine shot if you ask me. :tooth:

Not too keen on spiders either. I used to like having the little things around - y'know figuring they ate a lot of bugs and stuff. I used to catch and play with tarantulas when I was a kid. They were kinda cool. During certain years, there would be so many of them around that they'd get into the house. I rember sitting on the couch and watching two of them crawl down the drapes. Pretty creepy but kinda cool at the same time.

That all changed when I got bit in the back by what I assume was a Hobo spider. That damn bite turned into a dime sized hole in my back right next to my backbone. Lasted for about 6 months. Now I see 8 legs, I squish it.

Oh wait... there is one more. Women with mustaches. Definite phobia there.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Frogs/toads. When I was like 3 or 4 I had a dream that a toad was jumping on the window sill and crawlin up my legs. It was a dream, but it felt so damn real. Ever since then, those things just...bleh. Like I would mow the lawn and like 3 toads would just jump away just before I reached there w/ the mower. Or in school when I head to dissect the things. Eww. I tell you the worst part was my sophmore year @ OU in physiology. The instructor had us do muscle twitching experiments w/ dead frogs...THAT HAD THEIR DAMN HEADS CUT OFF. It was freaky shit. 503 would've hated that too, b/c the instructor also showed us this GIANT RAT she was dissecting. :sick: :sick: :sick:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Angry Ram said:
503 would've hated that too, b/c the instructor also showed us this GIANT RAT she was dissecting. :sick: :sick: :sick:

Was she sportin' a mustache too? :shock:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:
503 would've hated that too, b/c the instructor also showed us this GIANT RAT she was dissecting. :sick: :sick: :sick:

I once had a science teacher last name of Fox with a serious 'stache.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Not sure if this counts as a fear, but when I fly in an airplane, I need to keep my feet flat on the floor when the plane takes off and lands. During the flight no issues. :boing:

Angry Ram

RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:

Wouldn't surprise me. She was one of those that had a cute voice and looked good from far away, but once you get close... :peek: :peek:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Angry Ram said:
RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:

Wouldn't surprise me. She was one of those that had a cute voice and looked good from far away, but once you get close... :peek: :peek:

Butter face?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
would fear of sam bradford getting crushed count as 'strange'?

Angry Ram

RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:
RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:

Butter face?

Yeah, and she was a lot older up close.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Heh. When I was younger, my friends and I used to call it "2 blocks."

Meaning, she looked good 2 blocks away.