Stop the Crazy Trade Bradford Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Howard Balzer
December 28, 2011 @ 1:29am
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101espn.com/category/hbalzer-blogs/20111228/Stop-the-Crazy-Trade-Bradford-Talk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101espn.com/category/hbalzer ... ford-Talk/</a>

[wrapimg=left]http://www.101espn.com/images/authors/medium/hbalzer.jpg[/wrapimg]Please, stop the madness now. Let’s not spend the next four months debating whether the Rams should select a quarterback with their high pick in the 2012 draft and trade Sam Bradford.

These rumblings were being heard over the last several weeks, but gained traction when Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden said if a new coach was hired by the Rams they would have to give serious consideration to finding a better quarterback than Bradford. Gruden, of course, specifically mentioned Stanford’s Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III of Baylor.

It’s hard to tell whether Gruden really believed what he was saying or if he was tweaking fellow analyst Ron Jaworski, who is high on Bradford. Following Gruden’s comment, Jaworski lauded Bradford again, and Gruden had that sly, Chucky grin on his face.

Since Gruden said what he did, the trade Bradford bandwagon has grown. When I mentioned on 101 ESPN the other day how this shouldn’t even be discussed, a text came in that said “three draft experts” with pay sites were advocating a draft Luck, trade Bradford scenario.

Well, then, that settles it. Of course, those draft sites probably never heard of the salary cap. But, salary cap ramifications aside (and I’ll get to that in a moment), the idea makes no sense on a basic talent evaluation level.

While Luck, and even Griffin, are the flavors of the month, if all three were in the draft at the same time, Bradford could very well be rated as the best of the bunch. At the least, it would be a good debate.

So, believing that the evaluation would be very close, why trade a quarterback that already has 26 games under his belt, has shown his ability and that you have already invested $30 million?

I’d love for someone, anyone, to give me a compelling reason why this would make any sense at all.

As for the salary cap, a Bradford trade on or before June 1 would mean a $14.4 million dead-money cap charge for the Rams. If he was traded after June 1, the hit would be $3.6 million in 2012 and $10.8 million in 2013.

On the roster in 2012, Bradford counts $15.595 million against the cap and his base salary is $12 million guaranteed. The final three years of his contract are worth a total of $36 million with $8 million of his $9 million 2013 salary guaranteed.

While the $14.4 million hit isn’t that much different than his cap charge on the roster, that would still be dead money for a player no longer on the team.

It can be also argued the Rams would have less leverage trying to trade Bradford because of those high salaries.

However, they would likely have significantly more leverage as the draft approaches to make a deal as teams start falling in love with the incoming class and the lower salaries they will command compared to Bradford.

The new, hard rookie pool resulted in quarterback Cam Newton, this year’s first overall pick, receiving a four-year contract worth a shade over $22 million. Newton’s signing bonus was $14.5 million and his base salaries are $375,000; $1.376 million; $2.377 million and $3.378 million. There is an option for the fifth year that has to be exercised after the end of the third year, but most high picks that prove worthy will likely sign contract extensions before they ever get to that fifth year.

With the overall salary cap expected to be very close to the 2011 total of $120.375 million, the rookie contracts will also be very similar to 2011.

Assuming Griffin enters the draft, the Rams should be in an excellent spot to build around Bradford with extra choices, even if they wind up with the second pick in the first round.

If the Rams lose to the 49ers, they can’t pick any lower than second. The scenarios:

Rams lose, Colts lose to Jacksonville: Colts pick first, Rams second.

Rams lose, Colts win: Rams pick first, Colts second.

If the Rams win, it doesn’t matter what the Colts do. Win or lose, Indianapolis would pick first. However, the Rams would pick third if they win and the Vikings lose to the Bears, which would give Minnesota the second selection.

This assumes the Rams don’t make up a five-game differential in strength-of-schedule percentage with the Vikings, which is unlikely.

If the Rams pick second, either the Colts will select Luck or trade the pick to a team that wants him. The Rams would still be in position to swing a deal with a team that wants Griffin, if he is rated that high and there are no other highly-rated quarterbacks. Currently, Cleveland, Jacksonville and Tampa Bay have four wins, while Miami and Washington have five. It’s conceivable the Browns, Dolphins and Redskins would be in the market for a quarterback.

Obviously, the best result would be for the Rams to have the first pick. That could lead to a double trade down. Trade with Indianapolis, if they want Luck, and do the best deal you can for moving down just one spot. Then, deal the second pick in what would hopefully be a seller’s market to multiple teams that desire Griffin..

That should provide a collection of picks this year and in future years that will fill several of the holes on the roster and improve the offense around Bradford. Whatever the package, it’s probable that it would be more than the Rams would acquire for Bradford.

So, end the debate. Please.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ugh. Why would ANY team trade us multiple draft picks for a QB in this years draft when they KNOW we won't draft one??? Come April, the Rams will sit on the clock for no reason, only to take Kalil with the 2nd overall pick.......

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Faceplant said:
Ugh. Why would ANY team trade us multiple draft picks for a QB in this years draft when they KNOW we won't draft one??? Come April, the Rams will sit on the clock for no reason, only to take Kalil with the 2nd overall pick.......
It's not so much that teams know WE won't draft one, but there are plenty that would love to leapfrog a team that WILL take one. Say Minnesota is at #3 and the Rams are at #2. Don't you think there would be teams who would want to get in front of Minnesota? Minnesota isn't going to trade out of that spot, so the next available option would be the team above them. Know what I mean?

steferfootball

Starter
It’s hard to tell whether Gruden really believed what he was saying or if he was tweaking fellow analyst Ron Jaworski, who is high on Bradford. Following Gruden’s comment, Jaworski lauded Bradford again, and Gruden had that sly, Chucky grin on his face.

Does anyone have a youtube of this?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JT77 said:
If the Rams end up with the first overall pick, it will be too tempting to pass up on Luck...

http://thexlog.com/201112280905/xtr...a-meaningful-nfl-week-17-for-almost-everyone/
Too tempting for who? The Rams? So it makes sense to have two #1 overall quarterbacks on the team, with one of them not playing, and tying all that money up at one position while forsaking the possible huge return in draft picks that would come with trading out of that spot?

Yeah......... not so much.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
RealRamsFan said:
steferfootball said:

I took it as Gruden saying do your job and evaluate all the QBs. But I think it would be stupid as shit to trade Sam

+100000000000

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
Faceplant said:
It's not so much that teams know WE won't draft one, but there are plenty that would love to leapfrog a team that WILL take one. Say Minnesota is at #3 and the Rams are at #2. Don't you think there would be teams who would want to get in front of Minnesota? Minnesota isn't going to trade out of that spot, so the next available option would be the team above them. Know what I mean?

Good points, but does MN go with back to back first round QB picks? I guess the coming months and the combine will tell us a lot more about whether this years class is as good as many are saying it is.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
steferfootball said:

No, but I have a RODtube of this. :mrgreen:

[flv]http://ramsondemand.com/video/grudenMNF.mp4[/flv]

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
steferfootball said:

Gruden..... "That's why there are 31 flavors of ice cream".... that's his freaking rationale for wanting to look at replacing Sam? Give me a break.

Jaws is a good guy. I spoke to him many times in the parking lot of the LA Coliseum before anyone knew who he was. I'll trust his opinion.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
X said:
steferfootball said:

Gruden..... "That's why there are 31 flavors of ice cream".... that's his freaking rationale for wanting to look at replacing Sam? Give me a break.

Jaws is a good guy. I spoke to him many times in the parking lot of the LA Coliseum before anyone knew who he was. I'll trust his opinion.
Also all the more reason to NOT let a head coach have full control. You wouldn't think it would take a mastermind to point out that drafting another QB #1 overall would be ridiculous on its face, but there ya go. Yeah he's had some success as a head coach, and yeah he knows QB's (sorta), but he's just so damn smarmy. I don't like smarmy.

steferfootball

Starter
RealRamsFan said:
steferfootball said:

I took it as Gruden saying do your job and evaluate all the QBs. But I think it would be stupid as shyte to trade Sam
I didn't get that vibe from that video. I got that he wanted to replace him. "RG3 is special" "Luck is special" Bradford is what, not good enough to be held in the same light as two college players?

But as he said, there are 31 flavors of Ice Cream.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
steferfootball said:
RealRamsFan said:
steferfootball said:

I took it as Gruden saying do your job and evaluate all the QBs. But I think it would be stupid as shyte to trade Sam
I didn't get that vibe from that video. I got that he wanted to replace him. "RG3 is special" "Luck is special" Bradford is what, not good enough to be held in the same light as two college players?

The vibe I got was, "I'm a douche and I like to get people upset." I'd really struggle with him as a head coach. It's hard for me to root for people I don't care for much. He'd do cartwheels all the way to RG3 and stick his smug ass head in his lap. Great. Good for you. But the problem with his "fantasy" is that he assumes, as head coach of the Rams, that he'd be ALLOWED to make that kind of decision. When clearly that's not the objective for any head coach the Rams have. It's a symbiotic relationship with the GM and quite possibly, a new team President. So he can take his delusions of grandeur elsewhere for all I care.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
steferfootball said:
RealRamsFan said:
steferfootball said:

The vibe I got was, "I'm a douche and I like to get people upset." I'd really struggle with him as a head coach. It's hard for me to root for people I don't care for much. He'd do cartwheels all the way to RG3 and stick his smug ass head in his lap. Great. Good for you. But the problem with his "fantasy" is that he assumes, as head coach of the Rams, that he'd be ALLOWED to make that kind of decision. When clearly that's not the objective for any head coach the Rams have. It's a symbiotic relationship with the GM and quite possibly, a new team President. So he can take his delusions of grandeur elsewhere for all I care.
It was just for TV. I bet Gruden secretly loves Bradford. I've seen Gruden drool over Bradford several times in the past. Gruden was saying the right things as a prospective Head Coach, "I would evaluate everything.." was the point he was making. Him and Jaws fighting is part of the show.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
X said:
interference said:
X said:
steferfootball said:

Also all the more reason to NOT let a head coach have full control. You wouldn't think it would take a mastermind to point out that drafting another QB #1 overall would be ridiculous on its face, but there ya go. Yeah he's had some success as a head coach, and yeah he knows QB's (sorta), but he's just so damn smarmy. I don't like smarmy.

Gruden is just a poser. Playing to the audience and owners. He knows they can't trade Bradford this off season. No way can they adsorb the 26 mil. cap hit. But what he might be doing if he's interested in the HC job if it was open is saying " Hey I'm a loose cannon and i might just take Luck or RGIII if I like them then sort it out in training camp". Making the pick more desirable as trade bait.

For the Rams to barter their first round pick into a boatload of picks they have to put the seed in others teams mind that they might take a QB themselves. Yeah it's nuts. But got to play it that way otherwise the Rams get squat while the team behind them gets the bounty.

And Hell no to Chucky!!!!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yamahopper said:
Gruden is just a poser. Playing to the audience and owners. He knows they can't trade Bradford this off season. No way can they adsorb the 26 mil. cap hit. But what he might be doing if he's interested in the HC job if it was open is saying " Hey I'm a loose cannon and i might just take Luck or RGIII if I like them then sort it out in training camp". Making the pick more desirable as trade bait.
That's an interesting angle. Never thought about that.

I'll have to let Interference be the judge though. He'll tell me if that has any merit. :sly: