Stop Blaming the Players, This is Jeff Fisher's Team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Stop blaming the players, this is Jeff Fisher's team
By Palmer L. Alexander III | Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:32 pm

http://www.stlamerican.com/sports/s...cle_7e55a376-6219-11e5-baad-47bc55f95de6.html

One of the first things that concerned me about the St. Louis Rams’ first road game of the 2015 season was that there was going to be some sort of hangover after beating Seattle Seahawks in the home opener last week. And not only did the Rams have a hangover, they flat out got their assets kicked by the Washington Redskins, 24-10. In all the years watching and covering this football team, I’ve never seen them get beat so badly.

The Rams got beat this badly because they were reading their own press clippings again. They didn’t take this game too seriously. It’s like they thought all they had to do is show up and the Redskins would just kneel before them.

After beating the Super Bowl runner up, I kept hearing about a new Rams’ T-shirt with the catchphrase “Mob Squad.” Man, they need to stop with the shenanigans. How about a meaningful winning streak? How about achieving .500 football? They always win off the field with these great names and catchphrases, but never on that 100-yard field when it counts.

For all the talk about how Jeff Fisher is such a player’s coach, we’ve have yet to see it in the win column. And for those that say he’s just an average .500 coach, he’s sporting a losing record since he came to St. Louis. His record here is now 21-28-1, and this is his team. He constructed this team, and they’re not consistent. They’re consistently inconsistent.

I was asked a couple weeks ago by Chris Cashman of KOMO TV-4 in Seattle if this is a make-or-break year for Fisher. In my opinion, no. He’s comfortable. He only answers to one person, and that’s Stan Kroenke.

Let’s use a little bit of common sense for a second. You got an NFL coach with over 20 years’ experience coaching at this level. He hires the general manager, and it’s a first-time general manager in Les Snead. Do you think for one second a veteran head coach would hire someone who would someday fire him? Fisher has complete control. He put this roster together in the image he sees fit.

Look at all the running backs, defensive lineman and secondary players he’s brought in since becoming head coach in 2012. He fostered competition at those positions, yet neglected to do the same at important positions such as linebacker, wide receiver, offensive line and, most importantly, quarterback.

Middle linebacker James Laurinaitis needs some healthy competition. He looked absolutely awful in that game against the Redskins. He got sucked up in the wrong gap again and again as the Redskins just ran all over the Rams’ press clipping defense.

And this talk during the preseason about resigning Janoris Jenkins is troubling. As usual, he’s “Shaqtin A Fool” on defense by allowing receivers to run past him untouched like you playing football in 4th hour PE class. Then he got burnt like toast by Redskins receiver Pierre Garcon in the red zone for a touchdown and then lobbied to the ref looking for a push off. If he keeps this up, NBA power forward JaVale McGee is going to get jealous.

Another big mistake Fisher made was signing tight end Jared Cook. He couldn’t get in sync with QB Nick Foles. He had several passes go off his hands. Every time he does catches the ball you are almost in shock that he actually caught the ball. Then he gets flagged for a facemask penalty and was just dreadful when it came to blocking.

After a while, you stop blaming the players. This is Jeff Fisher’s fourth year, and nothing has changed. He doesn’t think it’s him. But, according to the sub-.500 record it’s him.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Meh.

In college I put almost all stock in a how a team does in the coaches, because it's majority amateurs.

At this level it's an equal share b/w coaches and players. If a player can't follow what the coach tells him, something is wrong.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yeah, I have no faith in him anymore. We have plenty of talent. There's no reason we shouldn't be a dominate team.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Yeah, I have no faith in him anymore. We have plenty of talent. There's no reason we shouldn't be a dominate team.

There's 2 explanations:
1. We don't have the talent - No one to blame but Fisher (and Snead), it's his team, he's had 6 1st round picks, if he can't build a talented enough team then get rid.
2. We do have the talent - Which means it's being coached poorly/wrongly, in which case get rid.

Of course the team could always put together consistently good performances and I wouldn't have to bitch and moan.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
2. We do have the talent - Which means it's being coached poorly/wrongly, in which case get rid.

Honestly, I think we've been given hints as to the reason from the local media in STL. It's preparation, and the practice schedule. That's why Fisher is messing with it. I give him props for wanting to change it up, but it's got to get figured out.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I tend to agree now, this is his team. This is year 4, and on a second 'fleeced' trade, the excuses are starting to run thin. Eventually the onus on why these players keep coming out unprepared and lackadaisical for 4 years has to fall on the coach, you can't just keep saying it's the players fault, it's the players fault because eventually it comes down to "why aren't these players getting prepared or ready in the first place? Why is their execution lacking?"

There's a reason he's called a coach, it's his job to coach these guys up and make sure they're ready and this trend has been around for all 3 years of his tenure. It's starting to just not make sense to say it's not his fault.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Honestly, I think we've been given hints as to the reason from the local media in STL. It's preparation, and the practice schedule. That's why Fisher is messing with it. I give him props for wanting to change it up, but it's got to get figured out.

In his defence he's only been a HC for 21 seasons, give the guy a chance.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
There's 2 explanations:
1. We don't have the talent - No one to blame but Fisher (and Snead), it's his team, he's had 6 1st round picks, if he can't build a talented enough team then get rid.

Of course the team could always put together consistently good performances and I wouldn't have to bitch and moan.
Last year the Cardinals lost about 15 QBs and starters all across the board. And they still found a way to get it done. Talent only matters so much at this level. I mean, Tavon Austin should be an Antonio Brown clone with his speed and ability. Just a straight up fucking nightmare on the field that you just can't cover. It's coaching man. Bruce Arians would have this team in the playoffs every year. I would put money on that.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seasons over boys, lets pack it up and find a new hobby.

It's only week 3, not enough information to freak out, I'm going to let the full season play out first before I critique the team.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well .. after all is said .. It's still Only week #3 coming up and the Rams are 1-1!!

V3

Hall of Fame
How many of those WRs have turned into anything? Quick currently can't even get on the game day roster, not because of his injury, but because he can't perform like he needs to. Austin has been doing well as a gadget RB this year but he has 4 receiving yards. Four. The other WRs haven't done much either. The WRs he drafted aren't very good and/or they aren't being coached up. Either way, it's Fisher's problem.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
In all the years watching and covering this football team, I’ve never seen them get beat so badly.

How many years has the author of this article been "watching and covering this football team," about three? Hyperbole much?

That said, the blame does solely rest on Jeff Fisher. He is the architect of all that we see from this team. The buck stops here, etc. He either hired, or gave the approval to hire, the GM, the entire coaching staff, and probably everyone else associated with the team. It is his vision or lack of it that we are seeing on the field each week.

My feeling when he was hired was that he would pull the team out of the realm of basement dwellers we were in and bring us up to the 7-8 to 9-7 level. He would rebuild the team to respectability and then another head coach would be hired who would get us to perennial playoff team status. So far that is close to being on schedule. If Jeff Fisher can get the Rams to the playoffs this season and next, then I will gladly be wrong.

For now I'm grateful we are not still basement dwellers but can at times beat teams we aren't supposed to. Now if we can only also beat teams we are supposed to, then all will be well in Rams Land.

FRO

Legend
We are only two games into this thing. I'm going to let this season play out before making sweeping judgements. Fisher has clearly improved this team since taking over. Can he bring us to that next step? We will find out. Sunday was horrible. It was a repeat of past Rams teams. It was only one game though and we can bounce back. If we don't I will have no problem passing judgement on Fisher or the players.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last year the Cardinals lost about 15 QBs and starters all across the board. And they still found a way to get it done. Talent only matters so much at this level. I mean, Tavon Austin should be an Antonio Brown clone with his speed and ability. Just a straight up freaking nightmare on the field that you just can't cover. It's coaching man. Bruce Arians would have this team in the playoffs every year. I would put money on that.
Very true with the Cardinals but let's temper it a bit. They were what 9-1 with their starting QB. And 2-4 with his backups? Not much of a record difference between us with backups though one of their two wins was vs us in the dome. I agree Arians is a better coach but take out starting QBs and most any team struggles. I'm not backing Fisher here just pointing out Arians wasn't as perfect as he's sometimes given credit for. Fisher gets nowhere near the offensive production that Arians does from his players.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I have a thing about Players Play....if they can't get it done, Fish will be gone at the end of his contract. Not before...It's on Foles to hit the open target, Cook to catch what he can, wrs to get open & catch the damn ball, linemen to block, defenders to tackle...players, play....but the coach takes the blame....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't disagree with a lot of what he said, but man he sounds like such a c_nt.