Still Watching The Rams LBs Play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamWoodie

Legend
After the Oakland game I rated the LB play as MARGINALLY SOLID, which is pretty good given their youth.

The standout among the LBs was Littleton. The guy was everywhere! Early in the game he got caught watching Ebukam go on a blitz and let Raider TE Cook go right by him on a big play. After that he settled down and played well.

I'm looking at the LB tackling because in a 34 defense the LBs have to tackle well. To often the Ram LBs are tackling high which leads to extra yards often.

Littleton, Ebukam, and Barron (when he gets back) are small LBs. They're fast but will many times be tackling guys that are bigger and they must wrap up at the legs to get these guys down.

Tackling has to be better!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
After the Oakland game I rated the LB play as MARGINALLY SOLID, which is pretty good given their youth.

The standout among the LBs was Littleton. The guy was everywhere! Early in the game he got caught watching Ebukam go on a blitz and let Raider TE Cook go right by him on a big play. After that he settled down and played well.

I'm looking at the LB tackling because in a 34 defense the LBs have to tackle well. To often the Ram LBs are tackling high which leads to extra yards often.

Littleton, Ebukam, and Barron (when he gets back) are small LBs. They're fast but will many times be tackling guys that are bigger and they must wrap up at the legs to get these guys down.

Tackling has to be better!
I would be in agreement withyou here ...but there's so much new ongoing here in this unit. First inside is where Wade is forced to go with a duo Christian/Wilson to play the Barron post. Good for this strong safety Christian where he was given the opportunity to play as a regular in this hybrid LB'ing post for the first time in usual passing situations. Wade had to insert him due to the "not up to par" coverge componet of Ramik Wilson. This duo should improve. No issues with Cory.:sneaky:

On the ouside LB'ing post Wade went with Easley/Ebukam followed by Longacre & Franklin-Myers. Easley should improve too as he has a good chance to be the starter here as a Rams for the first time since he arrived in 2016. The talking head on Monday Night Football had issue's with saying Ebukam's name the correct way.....which was often because he was all over the field!:yess:

JRobinson

MiLB
I can’t wait for Okoronkwo to make his mark.

When and if that happens. They may very well use this season as a “redshirt” type year for Obo. The chances that he comes in and makes a significant difference aside from what we have already is not very likely. I believe the Rams feel very confident in who they have going right now.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Bryce Hagar seems to improve with experience. I'm guessing he'd not far behind on the depth chart.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tackling was actually pretty damn good. Both Littleton & Ebukam showed excellent open field closing ability. It's the edge rush that's the issue right now.

Franklin needs more snaps IMO, on the left side. And Ebu is about as good as it's going to get for us right now on the blindside, think he's a high-effort, 6-8ish sack total type dude.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
IMO by mid season Littleton will prove to be an upgrade over Ogletree, due mainly to his tackling. Tree missed too many tackles due to high tackling, almost like a clothesline. Littleton is not afraid to put his shoulder in there and hit guys and looks to wrap up better than Tree did.

TexasRam

Legend
Tackling was actually pretty damn good. Both Littleton & Ebukam showed excellent open field closing ability. It's the edge rush that's the issue right now.

Franklin needs more snaps IMO, on the left side. And Ebu is about as good as it's going to get for us right now on the blindside, think he's a high-effort, 6-8ish sack total type dude.

agreed, open field good. edge - very questionable.

hope i’m wrong - but it’s possible Ebukam will be replaced by a better rush presence.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
The way Ebukam closed on Doug Martin in the flat was very impressive IMO. He's still raw, but he's got a shot at being a + starter IMO. Littleton is the the new Fletcher. Not flashy, but he makes a big impact on the D.

I'm intrigued by Justin Lawler. He just seems to be in the right places early on.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The way Ebukam closed on Doug Martin in the flat was very impressive IMO. He's still raw, but he's got a shot at being a + starter IMO. Littleton is the the new Fletcher. Not flashy, but he makes a big impact on the D.

I'm intrigued by Justin Lawler. He just seems to be in the right places early on.
I've been high on Littleton since last year. I'm not saying I never saw him miss a tackle because I didn't pay that close of attention. However, whenever I noticed someone close on the ball carrier and wrap up and tackle the way they should the first time, it was always Littleton. Every. Single. Time.

Screw interceptions and sacks. Stopping a screen pass for 1 yard because you know how to tackle in space is essential.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I have to admit Littleton was better than what I thought he would be. He really showed up in this game plus I think he is a better tackler than Ogletree.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

hope i’m wrong - but it’s possible Ebukam will be replaced by a better rush presence.
It's pretty rare that a linebacker is equally good at rushing the passer and stopping the run or sealing the edge on a run.

Quinn, at his prime, was an excellent pass-rusher but not that good at stopping the run.

I think this is the real part of the process where Phillips and Joe Barry and Chris Shula, etc. Figure out who to rotate in depending on their abilities.
Run downs versus passing downs.

And of course it'll be up to Philips to try to figure out the best package for which play he thinks is going to be called against his D.

But I have complete confidence in him doing that.
Complete.

Ram65

Legend

I didn't see much from Ebu as far as pass rush. He was against a rookie LT too.

Littleton looked good for first game. He does fly around the field. He can blitz from the inside with his quickness. We will have to see how the outside pass rush progresses with Easley, Longacre, JFM, and Lawler rotating in. Right now it's a big ?

RamWoodie

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hager got no stats in the Raider game. He looked pretty solid in preseason and according to the depth chart, is backup to Littleton. I was looking to see if he would get in the game at LB.

He kind of reminds me of Hacksaw Reynolds...BUT...will he get to that level of play?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hager got no stats in the Raider game. He looked pretty solid in preseason and according to the depth chart, is backup to Littleton. I was looking to see if he would get in the game at LB.He kind of reminds me of Hacksaw Reynolds...BUT...will he get to that level of play?
With Cory Littleton taking all the defenseive snaps guess there was no need for Hager to get his uni dirty. Bryce Hager was the star LB'er in pre season & saw a ton of action. Joe Barry has to be :D over Hager's development now. The rookie Micah Kiser was the 3rd LB'er last Monday night.
I notice that in pre season too he has the ability even as a rookie to read most all the plays he see's. Not blessed with great physical skills, but he must have a big football brain. @ the moment appears to be a steal in the 7th rd. Wade see's him as a strong side OLB/ER in his Ram future.
Littleton and Kiser could be a very good ILB combo in the future
Yes it does, that would require Littleton sliding back over to the weak side interior post where Mark Barron was surpose to be this season & Kiser taking up the MLB'er post. Ramik Wilson & Bryce Hager do not have 2019 contracts with the Rams. I would also suspect that a healthy Barron's NFL future is in serious trouble.

RamWoodie

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With Cory Littleton taking all the defenseive snaps guess there was no need for Hager to get his uni dirty. Bryce Hager was the star LB'er in pre season & saw a ton of action. Joe Barry has to be :D over Hager's development now. The rookie Micah Kiser was the 3rd LB'er last Monday night.
I notice that in pre season too he has the ability even as a rookie to read most all the plays he see's. Not blessed with great physical skills, but he must have a big football brain. @ the moment appears to be a steal in the 7th rd. Wade see's him as a strong side OLB/ER in his Ram future.

I didn't even see Hager on STs, and he plays well there too. I kinda wonder was he feeling well. Don't know though.