Steven Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd give this multiple likes if I could. Very well put. Thanks 24/7

Agreed. I don't know how a player could of given more. If you are not a SJ fan, not sure how you are a Rams fan. I call your Ramdom into question and challenge you to run the Gauntlet!!!!!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're welcome to have your opinion, but I don't understand why so many Ram fans don't care how SJ does after he's given so much to this team over 9 years. This is a guy who played the last half of a season with a herniated disc in his back for a team that won 1 game. The guy who never complained about the losing. Always bought into the new regimes, had the respect of coaches, teammates, and players league wide. And I don't agree with you statement: he "didn't want to be part of the solution, so he left." Really? In 2008 he was frustrated with the Rams because he had clearly emerged as a top back in the league in 2006 & 2007 and they were still paying him shyte money in the final year of his rookie contract. He wanted to commit to the Rams, but he needed a commitment from them. They had just endured a 3-13 season, Isaac had left, coaching staff was on the hot seat. He could have walked after 2008 and gone to a "better" team, but he wanted to see thing through with the Rams, help them reach the glory days again. That's all SJ ever wanted: to be a lifetime Ram and get them to the playoffs again and hoist a Lombardi Trophy once again in STL. He was the consummate pro with one of the greatest work ethics I've ever seen. To say he didn't want to be part of the solution is completely short sited. All SJ ever wanted to be was part of the solution. He wanted to return in 2013, but he also believed he could still be a bell cow in this league. The Rams wanted to get younger and couldn't find the amount of touches SJ wanted or the salary he believed he deserved. Unlike some I will always root for SJ, Ram or not because he has simply earned my respect, love, and trust for everything he did for the St. Louis Rams, it's fans, and the city of St. Louis over 9 years.
I think you're confusing my reluctance to look beyond his PAST efforts, with disdain for him now that he's gone. Fact is, I love the guy as a player, but I don't care what happens to the rest of his career because he's not a Ram anymore. I'm not a Falcons fan. But I do look back fondly on his career here. I didn't care about Dickerson when he left. Didn't care about Torry after he left. Don't really care about any of them once they leave. But I do cherish the memories. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone on any forum that liked SJ as much as I did. Hell, I made about 10 videos of him while he was here (fuckin' YouTube :frown:), and I had his back on every topic that tried to cast him in a negative light. Every time.

And no, he didn't want to be a part of the solution. He wanted the Rams to honor the bonus in his contract that gave him an out, even though he didn't achieve the benchmarks that activated it. The Rams obliged. It's not the Rams' fault that they wanted to go RB by committee so that they could work in his replacement a couple of years down the road. Jackson explicitly said that he wanted to be the bell cow, and ironically, he went to Atlanta where they're using him exactly like the Rams would have. That said, I'm not absolving the Rams of any wrong doing. They probably didn't want to pay him free agent money either. But don't mistake the timeline. Jackson wanted his contract voidable. That wasn't the Rams who brought that up.

Either way, people don't need to be defensive if others aren't worshipping at his altar. It's a business.

Last edited by a moderator:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Unlike some I will always root for SJ, Ram or not because he has simply earned my respect, love, and trust for everything he did for the St. Louis Rams, it's fans, and the city of St. Louis over 9 years.

...wait...you love him? :wow:

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I think you're confusing what I deemed appreciation of his PAST efforts with disdain for him now that he's gone. Fact is, I love the guy as a player, but I don't care what happens to the rest of his career because he's not a Ram anymore. I'm not a Falcons fan. But I do look back fondly on his career here. I didn't care about Dickerson when he left. Didn't care about Torry after he left. Don't really care about any of them once they leave. But I do cherish the memories. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone on any forum that liked SJ as much as I did. Hell, I made about 10 videos of him while he was here (freakin' YouTube :frown:), and I had his back on every topic that tried to cast him in a negative light. Every time.

And no, he didn't want to be a part of the solution. He wanted the Rams to honor the bonus in his contract that gave him an out, even though he didn't achieve the benchmarks that activated it. The Rams obliged. It's not the Rams' fault that they wanted to go RB by committee so that they could work in his replacement a couple of years down the road. Jackson explicitly said that he wanted to be the bell cow, and ironically, he went to Atlanta where they're using him exactly like the Rams would have. That said, I'm not absolving the Rams of any wrong doing. They probably didn't want to pay him free agent money either. But don't mistake the timeline. Jackson wanted his contract voidable. That wasn't the Rams who brought that up.

Either way, people don't need to be defensive if others aren't worshipping at his altar. It's a business.

We can agree to disagree on your first paragraph. I root for Ram greats after they leave, you don't. I respect your opinion.

As for paragraph #2, yes the contract was voided. He was due $7 or $8 in 2013, and both he and the Rams knew no team (Rams included) in this league would pay him that salary at this stage in his career (ATL is paying him $5.25 M). I'm not even ripping the Rams for the decision they made; at the time I was very frustrated, but I realize at the bottom line this is a business (just ask Peyton Manning). I get wanting to get younger and splitting the carries like they did last year. What I don't believe is that SJ didn't want to be a part of the solution. He was still open to returning at a lesser salary than he was due on the voided contract, but the Rams didn't want to pay him the money to be the bell cow for their O. I don't fault either party: the Rams needed to make a business decision they thought was best for the franchise and SJ, the prideful athlete that he is, still believed he had enough to warrant starters pay.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Sure I do. He's part of my Fab Four Rams: Marshall, Biggame, Ike, SJax. They were all consummate pros and great people who always embraced their fans

OK...not that there's anything wrong with that...:wow:

Warner didn't rate?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Agreed. I don't know how a player could of given more. If you are not a SJ fan, not sure how you are a Rams fan. I call your Ramdom into question and challenge you to run the Gauntlet!!!!!!!

Ok, please tell me this is a joke.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We can agree to disagree on your first paragraph. I root for Ram greats after they leave, you don't. I respect your opinion.

As for paragraph #2, yes the contract was voided. He was due $7 or $8 in 2013, and both he and the Rams knew no team (Rams included) in this league would pay him that salary at this stage in his career (ATL is paying him $5.25 M). I'm not even ripping the Rams for the decision they made; at the time I was very frustrated, but I realize at the bottom line this is a business (just ask Peyton Manning). I get wanting to get younger and splitting the carries like they did last year. What I don't believe is that SJ didn't want to be a part of the solution. He was still open to returning at a lesser salary than he was due on the voided contract, but the Rams didn't want to pay him the money to be the bell cow for their O. I don't fault either party: the Rams needed to make a business decision they thought was best for the franchise and SJ, the prideful athlete that he is, still believed he had enough to warrant starters pay.
Fair enough.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
OK...not that there's anything wrong with that...:wow:

Warner didn't rate?

Of course Warner will always be important to me for the magic he created during the 3 year span of the GSOT, but he didn't have the longevity of the others with the Rams. Pretty much 3 great years and that was it. Pace, Little, Aeneas, Bulger are up there too. I will always appreciate what guys like Deacon, ED, Youngblood, etc. did for this franchise, but I didn't start watching the Rams until the early 2000s so I didn't get a chance to watch the guys play.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think you're confusing my reluctance to look beyond his PAST efforts, with disdain for him now that he's gone. Fact is, I love the guy as a player, but I don't care what happens to the rest of his career because he's not a Ram anymore. I'm not a Falcons fan. But I do look back fondly on his career here. I didn't care about Dickerson when he left. Didn't care about Torry after he left. Don't really care about any of them once they leave. But I do cherish the memories. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone on any forum that liked SJ as much as I did. Hell, I made about 10 videos of him while he was here (freakin' YouTube :frown:), and I had his back on every topic that tried to cast him in a negative light. Every time.

I get what you're saying. I don't think blaming is where many of us continuing SJ fans are. Each side made business decisions. I think the Rams' decisions were based more on the idea that they felt they needed to move on and let SJ pursue his personal business direction. I just don't think it worked out as well as I would have liked for either party.

As I said, I continue to be a SJ fan. Some I'm sure has to do with following him through college and onto my Rams. But part of it is what he endured while here and the kind of warrior he really was for us. It puts him up in my mind with the great warriors like Jack Youngblood.

I realize that you release your feelings for players when they go to another team. For the most part, I do the same. With a few players though, I just can't do that. SJ might top that list.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I get what you're saying. I don't think blaming is where many of us continuing SJ fans are. Each side made business decisions. I think the Rams' decisions were based more on the idea that they felt they needed to move on and let SJ pursue his personal business direction. I just don't think it worked out as well as I would have liked for either party.

As I said, I continue to be a SJ fan. Some I'm sure has to do with following him through college and onto my Rams. But part of it is what he endured while here and the kind of warrior he really was for us. It puts him up in my mind with the great warriors like Jack Youngblood.

I realize that you release your feelings for players when they go to another team. For the most part, I do the same. With a few players though, I just can't do that. SJ might top that list.
I feel ya man.

Curious ... how did you feel about Ike when he went to that shit city south of you? That broke my heart. But mostly because of the way the Rams treated him. Luckily for them, they made amends and had him retire a Ram. Those were dark days for me, and it made me sorta resentful of the team I love.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

Agree 100% on that last line. I only root for the very special players who spent more than just a handful of years with the Rams, after they leave. For example I respect all Danny did, but I'm don't really care how he does (part of that is probably bc its the Pats!). Last guy I really rooted for after he left the Rams was Torry.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I feel ya man.

Curious ... how did you feel about Ike when he went to that shyte city south of you? That broke my heart. But mostly because of the way the Rams treated him. Luckily for them, they made amends and had him retire a Ram. Those were dark days for me, and it made me sorta resentful of the team I love.

I hope SJ retires a Ram & has his # retired too. When we look back at the 2007-2011 Rams in 30 years only 2 things will be remembered: DANG those teams really sucked & That Steven Jackson kid was NO JOKE

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I feel ya man.

Curious ... how did you feel about Ike when he went to that shyte city south of you? That broke my heart. But mostly because of the way the Rams treated him. Luckily for them, they made amends and had him retire a Ram. Those were dark days for me, and it made me sorta resentful of the team I love.

Probably the same as you. But of course I was SO not surprised by the way THAT front office treated him. What a bunch of two faced POSs. I get a lot of what goes on with teams and the business of football but when you come out publicly and, after negotiating a contract, gloat negotiating a deal that will make Ike a life long Ram, you don't then cut the guy instead of paying him. Yeah - pretty dark. I really don't blame him for going to the whiners. Unfortunately, that meant I could NEVER root for him even if we weren't playing against him.

had

Rookie
Does anyone remember, way back, after Faulk was gone, but before the death spiral, when the Rams were in San Francisco for a game, and SJ got the ball in the flat, I believe from a pass, and some niner DB tried to arm tackle him at about the knee level, and SJ broke that guy's arm?

That was awesome.

As far as SJ playing for the Falcons. What a shame for him.

I liked SJ, but for some reason, not that much. Not sure what it is. Maybe that all of his effort was lost to the abyss of terrible football. I don't know. Maybe that no matter how good he was, it rarely ever turned a game. Me? I don't know. He was, however, a very fine soldier for the team.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
You're welcome to have your opinion, but I don't understand why so many Ram fans don't care how SJ does after he's given so much to this team over 9 years. This is a guy who played the last half of a season with a herniated disc in his back for a team that won 1 game. The guy who never complained about the losing. Always bought into the new regimes, had the respect of coaches, teammates, and players league wide. And I don't agree with you statement: he "didn't want to be part of the solution, so he left." Really? In 2008 he was frustrated with the Rams because he had clearly emerged as a top back in the league in 2006 & 2007 and they were still paying him shyte money in the final year of his rookie contract. He wanted to commit to the Rams, but he needed a commitment from them. They had just endured a 3-13 season, Isaac had left, coaching staff was on the hot seat. He could have walked after 2008 and gone to a "better" team, but he wanted to see thing through with the Rams, help them reach the glory days again. That's all SJ ever wanted: to be a lifetime Ram and get them to the playoffs again and hoist a Lombardi Trophy once again in STL. He was the consummate pro with one of the greatest work ethics I've ever seen. To say he didn't want to be part of the solution is completely short sited. All SJ ever wanted to be was part of the solution. He wanted to return in 2013, but he also believed he could still be a bell cow in this league. The Rams wanted to get younger and couldn't find the amount of touches SJ wanted or the salary he believed he deserved. Unlike some I will always root for SJ, Ram or not because he has simply earned my respect, love, and trust for everything he did for the St. Louis Rams, it's fans, and the city of St. Louis over 9 years.

+ infinity

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Does anyone remember, way back, after Faulk was gone, but before the death spiral, when the Rams were in San Francisco for a game, and SJ got the ball in the flat, I believe from a pass, and some niner DB tried to arm tackle him at about the knee level, and SJ broke that guy's arm?

That was awesome.

As far as SJ playing for the Falcons. What a shame for him.

I liked SJ, but for some reason, not that much. Not sure what it is. Maybe that all of his effort was lost to the abyss of terrible football. I don't know. Maybe that no matter how good he was, it rarely ever turned a game. Me? I don't know. He was, however, a very fine soldier for the team.

Mike Rumph Sunday Night Football 2004 SJ's rookie year
break_arm.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
SJ is 25th in ALL TIME rushing yards... Even with this lost season; he's 1300 yards away from top-15. It's hard to imagine a scenario where he does not reach that achievement.

He did all of that on some pretty bad Ram teams (plus one bad Falcon team).

When the Rams were a laughing stock; SJ was the one constant. A true pro.

I'm not a Falcon fan, but I'm a Steven Jackson fan. One of the best at his position. I'll root for him until he retires.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
SJax was our only hope for a while. I was really rooting for him and the Falcons this year. I think Bradford can easily be where Matty Ice is if his WRs mature and start reaching their potential.

I don't think the Falcons are bad. They're just plagued by injuries this year. They've been missing Roddy White and Julio Jones for the majority of the season. I don't think any team could be without two of their superstars and be expected to win games.