Steve Spagnuolo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Spags.jpg

Remember, his stellar work as DC for the Giants got him the head coaching gig for the Rams. A disaster for him and a disaster for us. So far this season the Giants are ranked 19th on defense with 6 sacks( 2 of those by the free safety Landon Collins) and 2 interceptions(both by Janoris Jenkins). Hope we hang 40 points on his defense.
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/08/4_downs_with_giants_dc_steve_spagnuolo_pieces_are.html

4 downs with Giants' DC Steve Spagnuolo: Pieces are in place
By Dan Duggan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
August 04, 2016

EAST RUTHERFORD — Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo must have felt like a kid on Christmas morning this offseason. As he licked his wounds from overseeing the worst defense in the NFL last season, Spagnuolo watched general manager Jerry Reese stock up on marquee free agents.

The Giants shelled out nearly $200 million in contracts to defensive end Olivier Vernon, cornerback Janoris Jenkins and defensive tackle Damon Harrison this offseason. On Thursday, Spagnuolo received another toy with the signing of veteran slot corner Leon Hall.

Spagnuolo met with the media for the first time in training camp after Thursday's practice. Here are four key points the defensive coordinator touched on:

1. The potential is high

Spagnuolo has been at the commands of some good defenses throughout his career and he sees the potential for the Giants to fall into that category this season.

"The more talent you can get with really good coaching, which I think we have in our coaches, the higher chances you have of being good," Spagnuolo said. "There's some things we can't control. Hopefully we won't suffer those things, but if the guys keep working like they have up until this point, I anticipate us getting better and better."

Spagnuolo, of course, is referring to injuries as things they can't control. But if the defense stays healthy, it should be much improved this season.

2. Secondary competition is beneficial

There has been a talent infusion in the secondary with the additions of Jenkins and Hall, as well as early-round draft picks Eli Apple and Darian Thompson. That might make playing time tougher to come by, but after scraping through last season with no depth in the secondary, this is a much better problem to have.

"Jerry is doing a great job of it and always has, of bringing in people to compete. I would anticipate that the level of play and work in the secondary would go up," Spagnuolo said. "There's only so many jobs. This is professional football, so the livelihood of everyone just keeps plugging away...I'd rather have guys complaining because they're not out there rather than guys that accept it. Guys that accept it are not the competitors that we're looking for."

3. There will be a spot for Apple

With so many veterans in the mix at corner, it's obvious to wonder where Apple fits in. Spagnuolo said the 10th overall pick in this year's draft will have a role.

"We'll get him in there," Spagnuolo said. "There's a lot of downs in this league now with three wide receivers, four wide receivers, so I don't anticipate that being a problem. Look, Eli has a long way to go, too. I like what he's doing to this point, but it's going to be a process. We know all the games are completely different from practice or even preseason games, so we'll see where we're at."

Spagnuolo has known of Apple since early in the cornerback's career at Ohio State. Spagnuolo visited an Ohio State practice and he saw Urban Meyer teaching the same type of press techniques, so that has made the adjustment easier for Apple.

4. Bend it like JPP

The praise for defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul continues. Spagnuolo raved about Pierre-Paul's God-given ability as a natural "knee-bender."

"Not all guys have that, especially at his size," Spagnuolo said. "A lot of guys play high. As soon as that ball starts going, they start running and to run fast you have to have high hips and go. But all the game is not played like that. There is a lot of misdirection back and forth and he's able to, if you watch him, he looks like a rubbery Gumby man out there. He can move all over the place, his change of direction, long armed. I'm glad he's here. This time last year we didn't have him."

Pierre-Paul looks like he's returning to his pre-fireworks accident form. If that happens, it will take the Giants' defense to another level.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Read the thread title and threw up a lil in my mouth.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No love for our old buddy, Spags? :eek:
I didn't really have a problem with Spagz. I saw he had an impossible task and an unprecedented amount of injuries.
I'm just avoiding the conversation. I spent enough time on that subject back from 2009-2011.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Prime you should Ban yourself for posting that.
I think you could use a little time to think about what you have done.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
All I want to know is ... what ever happened to "Reggie". Spags must have mentioned him 10 times in every postgame interview. He was something of a legend back in the day. LOL

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I like the matchup of Boras and our offense vs the Gints defense. Think they'll score some points on Sunday, but the Rams defense vs those receivers... nightmare. Only way we win is if the DL puts Eli on his back early and often.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't really have a problem with Spagz. I saw he had an impossible task and an unprecedented amount of injuries.
I'm just avoiding the conversation. I spent enough time on that subject back from 2009-2011.
As did I, my friend... as did I