Steve Smith

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So is this guy completely recovered? I didn't know he was only 27, I thought he was like 31.

I think that Bradford is gonna rely heavily on the guy, I really hope this isn't just a more experienced version of DX (w/ regard to the owies).

SteveSmith.jpg

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Angry Ram said:
So is this guy completely recovered? I didn't know he was only 27, I thought he was like 31.

I think that Bradford is gonna rely heavily on the guy, I really hope this isn't just a more experienced version of DX (w/ regard to the owies).

SteveSmith.jpg
No one playing today compares to DX on the number of injuries. Steve Smith had one injury and surgery, and a setback last year, probably trying to do too much too soon. It's been 1-3/4 years since his surgery, while he made it through training camp and the preseason without any further setbacks.

I also expect him to put up decent numbers this season.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Let's not forget that microfracture surgery normally takes two years to recover from. Smith is in his second year after the surgery, and like Quixote said, that was the only injury he's ever had in his playing career.

He'll be just fine.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
To a lot of fans he's kind of a Meh player.
If he gets back to 95% of what he was he will be a major asset for the Rams.
Great signing.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, it is sorta of a "meh" signing, b/c of his owie. A knee owie is a knee owie, and I can only think of Welker of a WR that's had a major knee owie and came back strong.

I hope he's more than then slot/possesion guy. There's already a lot of those on the roster.

RAMilyGuy

UDFA
Steve looks healthy again. I think it comes down to Bradford getting his deep accuracy up and being able to hit him. We saw Steve get open deep a few times this preseason, Sam just couldn't hit him.

While Steve is very much a mid-range slant and out route possession receiver, he has the capability to wiggle his way past the secondary and get open deep. Like I said, Sam just has to be able to hit him.

F. Mulder

Starter
I agree that Smith is at best a mid-range WR somewhat in the mode of DA with more speed. You can try to sneak him deep (where you can't with DA because he isn't able) but IF Bradford develops a solid rapport with DA (which he has), Smith, and Gibson (another mid-range guy I don't care for) then you have potential first down makers but to me not necessarily TD or big play makers. Quick needs the be a red zone match up problem guy for other teams and right now Givens needs to run the token fly pattern 2 times a game just to stretch the defense somewhat. I think in time Quick can become a "complete" WR and Givens can be an Hakim type WR but right now Givens wouldn't scare opponents running inside or in traffic IMO. IF he can develop that then you have something dangerous.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
F. Mulder said:
I agree that Smith is at best a mid-range WR somewhat in the mode of DA with more speed. You can try to sneak him deep (where you can't with DA because he isn't able) but IF Bradford develops a solid rapport with DA (which he has), Smith, and Gibson (another mid-range guy I don't care for) then you have potential first down makers but to me not necessarily TD or big play makers. Quick needs the be a red zone match up problem guy for other teams and right now Givens needs to run the token fly pattern 2 times a game just to stretch the defense somewhat. I think in time Quick can become a "complete" WR and Givens can be an Hakim type WR but right now Givens wouldn't scare opponents running inside or in traffic IMO. IF he can develop that then you have something dangerous.
I agree with all your assessments. Well said.