Steve Savard on Tampa Sports Radio

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
On the mental make up of the Rams:
They still have something to prove. Any playoff hopes were extinguished, but this is a young football team and has really come along under Fisher. 15-65 is the worst 5 year record in NFL history. They beat the 49ers at home, the game they tied at Candlestick they shot themselves in the foot. Let a couple other games get away from them...

What is Fisher's imprint on this team?
He brought instant credibility the minute he walked into the place. It was important for guys like SJax who has fought incredibly over the years. The important question is, how many young guys are playing. The previous coaching staff couldn't have won ONE game with this many youngsters. He brought in a rock star coaching staff. Jeff is a very cool, laid back customer. We noticed week one in Detroit. They played with an edge, especially on defense, fought through adversity - which wasn't always the case in previous years.

There's been far too much turnover in recent years. We hope he stays there for a long time, because this is a team that needs some stability. Right now everything is pointing in the right direction.

About Sam Bradford
I think there are some pieces here. Danny is a phenomenal player. He's probably the best receiver nobody talks about. When he left the lineup for 3 weeks, the offense really struggled. But they need to get more explosive on the perimeter, and that will help Sam an awful lot. We knew Brian Quick would be a project, and they expect a lot bigger things from him in year two. They have to invest some money in a wide receiver, and maybe the TE position. Their starter Lance Kendricks is becoming what they thought he would. But this has not become a one-TE league, but a 2-TE league. Shore up a couple positions on the offensive line. I think Sam's a lot better in the pocket, he understands where his opportunities open up. When the talent around him is commensurate with his own talent, I think that's when we'll see things take off.

I think most people see that he's going to be the Franchise guy for the next 8-10 years, but I still think there's a faction that points their finger at the QB because of his draft status and money. Time will tell, but I think he's got all the tools. And Mike Martz (who always knows the QB position), thinks he's got it all. He would LOVE to work with Sam if he was still coaching. He thinks IF the Rams invest around him, it's going to pay off in multiple pro-bowls.

On the defense:
The most improved part of the football team is the defense. They're 9th right now in total defense. I think they have a chance to stay in the top 10 for a long time. They drafted Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, added some nice pieces, Michael Brockers is now playing very well, a cornerstone piece in James Laurinaitis. I think they become a legitimate defense for years and years.