Stel's 2015 Rams mock 1.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
For sake of discussion.

I usually don't forecast trades or FA signings.

Round 1 (10): OT Ereck Flowers, Miami - I'd like to trade down a few spots here and pick up an extra day 2 pick before taking Flowers. I know others prefer Scherff (who may go before #10) or Collins but I really like Flowers as a bookend OT with Robinson.
Round 2 (41): OG A.J. Cann, South Carolina - a very experienced, solid guard
Round 3 (72): QB Garrett Grayson, Colorado State - my favorite of the non-first round QBs
Round 4 (119): DB Nick Marshall, Auburn - played DB before the switch to QB and played QB well at a top program. May take him a year or two to get the DB skills up to par, but I think he could be a very good FS. Until then, would be a good special teams player and game day active emergency QB
Round 6 (215): DT Joey Mbu, Houston - purely a rotational, space eating run stuffer
Round 7: TE C.J. Uzomah, Auburn - will need some time, but I think he could become a good blocker in the run game and has soft hands to be a target across the middle and in the red zone; not used enough in Auburn's game

As a note, depending on how our center situation shapes up before the draft, and whether I got that extra day 2 pick, I'd be looking for a center: Gallik or Morse (to convert) in the third, or Max Garcia in the 6th.

That's my current thoughts at a fluid time of the process.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, this is not a good draft.

There will be several players better than Flowers available at 10. If you mocked a trade, it would make more sense.

Grayson probably won't be there in the 3rd. And Marshall I wouldn't touch until the 6th or 7th rounds.

Cann would be a solid pick and no issue with your 6th and 7th rounders.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Nice draft,

I like Flowers, but I don't like him at 10. He is a late teens to mid 20's prospect. Makes more sense in a trade back but I don't know who you projected to be available.
AJ Cann is excellent but I think Ram fans need to lay off this one. I really don't think he is going to be available when we pick, but I hope I am wrong. Would be a great pick for us if he was still available.
Grayson: I just don't like him at all. There is nothing about his game that is very good except his guts. That being said, outside of Winston and to a lesser degree Mariota, Im not a fan of the QB class this year.
I like Marshall a lot but I might look at him in the 5th depending on how the draft played out. Seems like a luxury pick.
Like Mbu and Uzomah.

Athos

Legend
Great to see you back posting mocks, Stel.

But....this is my least favorite. Hate it.

Flowers is a big time overdraft imo. Is that's our option, I trade down in the 1st so we can take a risk/reward boom pick in the 2nd.

Just don't want Grayson at all. I really don't want a noodle-armed QB on this team. You just can't have a noodle-armed QB in this division and succeed imo. Just no mustard on his passes. Bradford was great against the division (when he had pieces, etc) because he's just a hard QB to pick off. Grayson....those lollipops would put us in the hole more than I'd like to think about. Heck, even the tactician Manning couldn't get it done against them really, or not as well, because his arm wasn't what it was.

Marshall seems like an overdraft in the 4th. I think the conversion drops him to the 5-7th because he'll almost need to relearn the position again.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Great to see you back posting mocks, Stel.

But....this is my least favorite. Hate it.

Flowers is a big time overdraft imo. Is that's our option, I trade down in the 1st so we can take a risk/reward boom pick in the 2nd.

Just don't want Grayson at all. I really don't want a noodle-armed QB on this team. You just can't have a noodle-armed QB in this division and succeed imo. Just no mustard on his passes. Bradford was great against the division (when he had pieces, etc) because he's just a hard QB to pick off. Grayson....those lollipops would put us in the hole more than I'd like to think about. Heck, even the tactician Manning couldn't get it done against them really, or not as well, because his arm wasn't what it was.

Marshall seems like an overdraft in the 4th. I think the conversion drops him to the 5-7th because he'll almost need to relearn the position again.

Agree with everything you said.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Flowers at 10 works just fine for me. The kid is 20 years old and he fits the Rams perfectly. He was to Duke Johnson what GRob was to Tre Mason. If you want to maul for the next decade, having Flowers and Robinson as your bookends is a great start.

Stel

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I put this one together I knew that if you aren't a fan of Flowers, you aren't likely to like where I went with this mock. Realistically, Flowers is probably a late teens to mid 20s pick in this draft. In my "trade with KC for a second draft fantasy" I'd take him at #18 and have KC's #49 pick in the bank. Most of the "internet experts" place Flowers in the final third of the first round. I don't think there is a lot of day 1 difference between the top 5 or 6 OT prospects and I think Flowers has a lot of upside for what we are trying to do.