Steeler's Waived One of My Favorite 2012 Draft Prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
After rookie fourth-round defensive tackle Alameda Ta’amu was arrested on a laundry list of charges last month, the team suspended him two games. Apparently, that was the extent of the punishment.

Apparently, it wasn’t.

On Monday, the Steelers waived Ta’amu, creating a roster-spot for practice-squad receiver David Gilreath, who’ll help replace injured receiver Antonio Brown for Monday night’s game against the Chiefs

Ta’amu will be required to pass through waivers, and every team will have a crack at claiming the contract of the fourth-round pick. The fact that he already has been punished by the Steelers arguably means that he can’t be fined or suspended by the league.

If Ta’amu passes threw waivers, the Steelers could sign him to the practice squad. If they don’t, then it shows they’ve decided that they’re done with him.

I really liked this kat coming out of Washington. He is a massive body that is quick off the snap. We just dropped a DT yesterday, could he replace Heard?

He was waived because of off the field problems. So he isnt free of risk.

Big knock on his game was he is a NT that doesnt like to eat blocks. He likes to penetrate and doesnt anchor well against the run.

Russ Lande had him as his number 1 NT in last years draft.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
After rookie fourth-round defensive tackle Alameda Ta’amu was arrested on a laundry list of charges last month, the team suspended him two games. Apparently, that was the extent of the punishment.

Apparently, it wasn’t.

On Monday, the Steelers waived Ta’amu, creating a roster-spot for practice-squad receiver David Gilreath, who’ll help replace injured receiver Antonio Brown for Monday night’s game against the Chiefs

Ta’amu will be required to pass through waivers, and every team will have a crack at claiming the contract of the fourth-round pick. The fact that he already has been punished by the Steelers arguably means that he can’t be fined or suspended by the league.

If Ta’amu passes threw waivers, the Steelers could sign him to the practice squad. If they don’t, then it shows they’ve decided that they’re done with him.

I really liked this kat coming out of Washington. He is a massive body that is quick off the snap. We just dropped a DT yesterday, could he replace Heard?

He was waived because of off the field problems. So he isnt free of risk.

Big knock on his game was he is a NT that doesnt like to eat blocks. He likes to penetrate and doesnt anchor well against the run.

Russ Lande had him as his number 1 NT in last years draft.
I was a huge fan too. I saw him play a lot of games in college, and he was one of the quickest DT's that I've ever seen off the snap.

nittany ram

Rookie
Well I think the Rams could use another good DT for the rotation but I'm hoping they use a high draft pick on one. And after this week, I don't think they need to add any more players with character issues.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
Interesting, what's the cost though?
Money wise, or player wise? He can't be too expensive, he dropped to the fourth round. Player wise, is he better than our 53'rd player? That is the question.

Side note: I don't think he fits the type of DT's that Fisher wants. It appears as if he likes really tall DT's.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
Side note: I don't think he fits the type of DT's that Fisher wants. It appears as if he likes really tall DT's.

I would tend to agree based on who we have targeted.

I will say, however, we need a little more beef in the rotation IMO. The game yesterday proved that. Early in the game our Dline held their own against what is arguably the best Oline in the NFL. By the end of the game we were pretty much being blown off the ball. Our lighter/taller/quicker DTs were worn out. IMO a slob we could rotate in there would help.

Ta'amu has that slobbish frame. Doesnt like to play like one tho. Something coach could potentially correct.

nittany ram said:
Well I think the Rams could use another good DT for the rotation but I'm hoping they use a high draft pick on one. And after this week, I don't think they need to add any more players with character issues.

This is the big thing with me. Do we bring in a guy with character issues to replace a guy that was apparently released because he violated team rules?

Ta'amu is more of an asset than Heard was, but it could call the staffs credibility into question.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
nittany ram said:

I don't think another DT is needed. I think Cudjo has been awesome this year. Plus he has experience. So yeah, we're pretty set at DT and the DL as a whole.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It's got to be tempting to explore. I really wanted the Rams to draft the kid. Making these tough decisions is why these coaches get paid the big bucks.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I liked him coming out of college. Now? You couldn't pay me to take him and his baggage. Ta'amu could be headed to jail for a very long time. It's a miracle that he didn't kill anyone when he was committing his crimes.