Steelers at Falcons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Wow, look at that the Steelers are playing their 1’s both sides of the ball to start this game.

What a concept, a tune up game before starting games that count.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm sure Kenny Pickett gonna morph into Peyton now.

Lance Kendricks was a preseason stud.

Preseason don't mean nothing. Never will.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Totally disagree. The Rams approach of not playing your first team together for at least a quarter or two during preseason means the team is not prepared to start the season.

Especially in the case of a team with 1/3 ofvthe team never having played together in meaningful games.

Angry Ram

Totally disagree. The Rams approach of not playing your first team together for at least a quarter or two during preseason means the team is not prepared to start the season.

Especially in the case of a team with 1/3 ofvthe team never having played together in meaningful games.

A couple series that are bare bones doesn't dictate a teams performance dude.

It's the hundreds of drills in camp that do that.

Besides this same approach didn't really affect them before did it?

By this thinking is Philly gonna stink it up now since Jalen and friends aren't playing right now???

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
A couple series that are bare bones doesn't dictate a teams performance dude.

It's the hundreds of drills in camp that do that.

Besides this same approach didn't really affect them before did it?

By this thinking is Philly gonna stink it up now since Jalen and friends aren't playing right now???
Nonsense practice is not the same as game time action and neither are those controlled practices.

And “didn’t affect” them when they had a bunch of vets as 1’s who had played together? You think that’s the same as the team they will be putting out there against the Seahawks?

Got their asses kicked for them last year so yeah I think it affected them last year too.

Not playing your 1’s in preseason is the same as playing not to lose. The attitude is they area afraid to get someone hurt.

Wins and losses in the first month are just as important as in the last.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't know. We looked like shyte vs Buffalo in Week One last year after resting starters during preseason. It seems like we are willing to forfeit the first game through rustiness.....

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This team needs to see game time. The more the better. The Rams should be playing a lot of starters, even if only a series or 2. This isn't a loaded roster that can wink at preseason anymore.

Get the young starters used to a live NFL and stadium game before they are thrust into one that counts.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I don't know. We looked like shyte vs Buffalo in Week One last year after resting starters during preseason. It seems like we are willing to forfeit the first game through rustiness.....

Was that McVay’s first opener loss?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Steelers are gonna be GOOD this season and sounds like Pickett is taking a step and Pickens is a STUD. We're gonna get rocked by them.

Angry Ram

Nonsense practice is not the same as game time action and neither are those controlled practices.

No its not. Not even close. Preseason isn't "game time action". There is no where near the intensity or high stakes or the players out there remotely close to what will be there for 4 quarters come September. The only thing similar is that they are in full pads.

It's a penalty filled slop fest with guys doing whatever the hell to make a team.

And “didn’t affect” them when they had a bunch of vets as 1’s who had played together? You think that’s the same as the team they will be putting out there against the Seahawks?

Of course not. Most of these dudes won't be on the team in a couple weeks.

Got their asses kicked for them last year so yeah I think it affected them last year too.

And they also kicked ass for 5 straight years game 1 using this same method. One outlier season and all of a sudden it's a vital part of the process?

Not playing your 1’s in preseason is the same as playing not to lose. The attitude is they area afraid to get someone hurt.

Oh stop. Almost every team does that. Cooper Kupp already got hurt in camp. What would've been if he got an acl making a cut or a horse collar in a pointless preseason game by some schmuck DB not knowing what he's doing? They've done this for years not playing their 1s. 1 series isn't gonna do anything.

Wins and losses in the first month are just as important as in the last.

Sure. If that first month is September. Wins in August mean nothing. They just don't. The Ravens had a 24-0 record in preseason or something right? What do they have to show for it?

The Colts and Steelers aren't gonna smash this year b/c what they did tonight. The Eagles aren't gonna stink b/c they sat Jalen Hurts.

Coaches don't care about preseason. Which is why they don't play their 1s.

The league doesn't care about preseason. Which is why after 2020 they only keep 3 preseason games.

The fans USED to not care about preseason, but suddenly since 2020 they've become this all important precursor to the regular season. Your team is losing b/c they are hurt. Or the players don't respect the coaching or decision makers. Or maybe they just plain stink compared to other teams.

What matters is the practices. Training. Coaching. Game planning. Studying. Practicing. All of that is what wins football games. Not a single bare bones set of plays and just going through motions against a bunch of backups.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No its not. Not even close. Preseason isn't "game time action". There is no where near the intensity or high stakes or the players out there remotely close to what will be there for 4 quarters come September. The only thing similar is that they are in full pads.

It's a penalty filled slop fest with guys doing whatever the hell to make a team.

Of course not. Most of these dudes won't be on the team in a couple weeks.

And they also kicked ass for 5 straight years game 1 using this same method. One outlier season and all of a sudden it's a vital part of the process?

Oh stop. Almost every team does that. Cooper Kupp already got hurt in camp. What would've been if he got an acl making a cut or a horse collar in a pointless preseason game by some schmuck DB not knowing what he's doing? They've done this for years not playing their 1s. 1 series isn't gonna do anything.

Sure. If that first month is September. Wins in August mean nothing. They just don't. The Ravens had a 24-0 record in preseason or something right? What do they have to show for it?

The Colts and Steelers aren't gonna smash this year b/c what they did tonight. The Eagles aren't gonna stink b/c they sat Jalen Hurts.

Coaches don't care about preseason. Which is why they don't play their 1s.

The league doesn't care about preseason. Which is why after 2020 they only keep 3 preseason games.

The fans USED to not care about preseason, but suddenly since 2020 they've become this all important precursor to the regular season. Your team is losing b/c they are hurt. Or the players don't respect the coaching or decision makers. Or maybe they just plain stink compared to other teams.

What matters is the practices. Training. Coaching. Game planning. Studying. Practicing. All of that is what wins football games. Not a single bare bones set of plays and just going through motions against a bunch of backups.
You’re welcome to your opinion.

There are reasons that for decades all of the teams in the league followed a pattern of getting starters built up in game time during preseason. They can’t do it in practice and they can’t just flip a switch to turn it on on e the season starts.

Now the money involved and players not wanting to play in preseason is sll about their ridiculous contracts.

Being afraid to have someone hurt is the reason they don’t play, eluded to it yourself.

It waters down the product and Kupp’s hamstring is a dumb comparison. He tweaked that in practice, I guess they shouldn’t do that either.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
McVay has always played the starters sparingly, if at all, in preseason.

The Rams’ record in games 1-3 in those 6 years: 15-3.

I do hoping the Steelers start strong this year, though, as they open against the Whiners.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
I'm not sure, but it was the most devastating opening day loss I had as a fan.
Opening day against the Eagles back in 2009 or so was the most devastating.

However, I had to laugh at the Rams that game they were so horribly bad.

Especially when the two secondary guys collided not once but TWICE on deep throws that game.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Bottom line is pre-season means nothing. if I remember correctly the year the Rams went 1-15 was the year that they were undefeated in the pre-season. Practice is were you get the team ready for the season to begin. Pre-season is to find out how your second and third team players perform and what the final 53 will look like.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I gotta go with 2016. Late ass game as it was the second half of a Monday night double headed to open the season. I'm on the east coast, so yeaaahhh....

The cheese and whiners dominated the Rams in every facet of the game resulting in a 28 to bagel embarrassment so bad that AD lost his shit and got ejected.

I told my son that night that he had to watch every snap of that abomination because it would be that much sweeter IF the Rams ever became good again, haha. Little did we know what was coming...

Tano

Legend
I gotta go with 2016. Late ass game as it was the second half of a Monday night double headed to open the season. I'm on the east coast, so yeaaahhh....

The cheese and whiners dominated the Rams in every facet of the game resulting in a 28 to bagel embarrassment so bad that AD lost his shit and got ejected.

I told my son that night that he had to watch every snap of that abomination because it would be that much sweeter IF the Rams ever became good again, haha. Little did we know what was coming...
I remember that game - Case Keenum started with Goff not even dressed up for the game

Case was so horrible in that game and I knew we were never going to score many points that season

Plus we had Boras as our OC and I have since called him the worst OC in the history of football.

Gurley called it a Middle School Offense

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Bottom line is pre-season means nothing. if I remember correctly the year the Rams went 1-15 was the year that they were undefeated in the pre-season. Practice is were you get the team ready for the season to begin. Pre-season is to find out how your second and third team players perform and what the final 53 will look like.
Wins and losses means nothing but the time to practice together, especially for younger players trying to fit within established groups is invaluable.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

However, I had to laugh at the Rams that game they were so horribly bad.

Especially when the two secondary guys collided not once but TWICE on deep throws that game.
Naw... We were defending Super Bowl Champs with fans like me calling for a repeat. Whether those dreams were realistic or not doesn't matter, seeing our team getting crushed as well as any real hope for the season in the first game was the worst. The capper was seeing one of our Super Bowl stars. Von Miller, celebrating a sack over his Super Bowl teammate was as bad as it gets for me. My love for Von went 180 degrees that day.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Naw... We were defending Super Bowl Champs with fans like me calling for a repeat. Whether those dreams were realistic or not doesn't matter, seeing our team getting crushed as well as any real hope for the season in the first game was the worst. The capper was seeing one of our Super Bowl stars. Von Miller, celebrating a sack over his Super Bowl teammate was as bad as it gets for me. My love for Von went 180 degrees that day.
Its almost like you're saying he's not... Loyal!

(See what I did there?)