Stat of the Week: Week 7 (You have to learn to pace yourself…)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
This week's stat is about PRESSURE.

In 2020, the Rams allowed a pressure rate of 20.1%.

In 2021, its down to 11.9%.

Interestingly, the Rams have improved this stat without relying on play action. In 2020, the Rams lead the league with 194 play action plays (over 12 per game). This year, the Rams have run only 37 play action plays (just over 5 per game).

So how did the Rams accomplish this? Well... I'm sure you have some cosmic rationale, but
I think this can be attributed to many factors, including better pass protection and Stafford's pocket presence and quicker release time.

If the Rams can keep this up, Matthew Stafford will continue to carve up defenses.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The Oline is definitely improved, compared to '20 and '19.
I'm impressed with the job they're doing.

Stafford also helps.
He's shifty and processes things quickly.
It will only get better as Stafford gets more comfortable in this offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Removing Blythe was a big part of that. The rest is defenses fear Stafford.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Stafford is Manning esq when at the line. Which is why he was one of the least sacked QBs. But I give a lot of credit to the oline as well. I just hope mcVay can adjust if we have a game where our oline doesn't shine.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While Blythe was a problem, I'd love to see PFF (or another analysis that watched every single snap they played and graded them) compare him and Allen.

I'm pretty sure it's Stafford helping the OL more than anything.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
While Blythe was a problem, I'd love to see PFF (or another analysis that watched every single snap they played and graded them) compare him and Allen.

I'm pretty sure it's Stafford helping the OL more than anything.
Really because pressure up the middle in under 2 seconds is something easy to see with the naked eye and I feel like it's beyond obvious our Oline, espescially the interior, is playing much better than last year. Allen over Blythe is a NOTICEABLE improvement, no metrics needed imo.

Of course Stafford is a well seasoned veteran QB with over 12 years of games played in his memory bank.... so beating the blitz or just making good, fast decisions are naturally going to be better than with the last guy, who struggled with it. So defenses are probably blitzing less... I definitely think MS is helping our line play... but he's not dealing with the same constant pressure up the middle the way the last Rams QB was.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really because pressure up the middle in under 2 seconds is something easy to see with the naked eye and I feel like it's beyond obvious our Oline, espescially the interior, is playing much better than last year. Allen over Blythe is a NOTICEABLE improvement, no metrics needed imo.

Of course Stafford is a well seasoned veteran QB with over 12 years of games played in his memory bank.... so beating the blitz or just making good, fast decisions are naturally going to be better than with the last guy, who struggled with it. So defenses are probably blitzing less... I definitely think MS is helping our line play... but he's not dealing with the same constant pressure up the middle the way the last Rams QB was.

Yes but if you think about it....

In McVay's first four years, we had physically awful centers who were smart. This season, we have a more physically gifted center who is probably not as smart.

And really, saying Allen who has been everyone's whipping boy is firmly better than Blythe is a sketchy sentiment. At times our OL was incredible last year.

It's not like we replaced Blythe with a stud.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes but if you think about it....

In McVay's first four years, we had physically awful centers who were smart. This season, we have a more physically gifted center who is probably not as smart.

And really, saying Allen who has been everyone's whipping boy is firmly better than Blythe is a sketchy sentiment. At times our OL was incredible last year.

It's not like we replaced Blythe with a stud.
Wait, you don't think Allen is playing much better this year than Blythe did last year? Also, why do you think he is not as smart? Not as experienced, sure, but not as smart?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait, you don't think Allen is playing much better this year than Blythe did last year? Also, why do you think he is not as smart? Not as experienced, sure, but not as smart?

It's an assumption because Blythe has been pretty mediocre for several years now - yet kept his starting job from 2018-2020. So my assumption is that he was doing something well, and when he moved to C and stayed there, the logical conclusion is that calling protections and communication was the strength for him.

Allen does look better when I watch the games, but I haven't zoned in on him specifically, which is why I'd like to see what their PFF grades (or since people hate PFF, any grade from people who have taken the time to watch literally every snap the two have taken while focusing solely on them).

Blythe also beat out Allen in 2020. While it's possible Allen improved THAT much from one year to the next I'm....skeptical that's actually the case.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This isn't rocket science. Teams aren't loading the box against Matthew fucking Stafford for one. Also, he has been in shotgun a ton and getting the ball out decisively as well. Some here would have you believe this is all about Allen and the OL. While the OL haS been great, Stafford is the absolute biggest reason for these numbers IMO.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
FWIW, Stafford has gone on the record complimenting Allen on his football smarts and reading the D’s.

Stafford kinda phrased it as if he and Allen were often on the same page on their reads presnap.

That’s a helluva endorsement from the vet QB, don’t you think?

Having said that, I think we’re witnessing a tremendous synergy of Stafford, vastly improved OL play, and the influence of the new OL coach Carberry. That is a potent combo.

dang

Legend
I would be interested in a stat on Rams missed tackles. I gotta believe they are in the bottom 5 of the league. I also gotta believe if we could improve significantly on that stat our defense could be a legitimate top 5 defense.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
This week's stat is about PRESSURE.

In 2020, the Rams allowed a pressure rate of 20.1%.

In 2021, its down to 11.9%.

Interestingly, the Rams have improved this stat without relying on play action. In 2020, the Rams lead the league with 194 play action plays (over 12 per game). This year, the Rams have run only 37 play action plays (just over 5 per game).

So how did the Rams accomplish this? Well... I'm sure you have some cosmic rationale, but
I think this can be attributed to many factors, including better pass protection and Stafford's pocket presence and quicker release time.

If the Rams can keep this up, Matthew Stafford will continue to carve up defenses.
The oline is playing extremely well when judged simply on its own merits. Yes Stafford is playing at a high level, but he wasn't getting this kind of protection in Detroit and didn't put up the numbers there that he has now.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I would be interested in a stat on Rams missed tackles. I gotta believe they are in the bottom 5 of the league. I also gotta believe if we could improve significantly on that stat our defense could be a legitimate top 5 defense.
https://www.pro-football-reference....Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#advanced_defense