Starting to see a changing of the (old) guard out there

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
COLTS PART WAYS WITH DWIGHT FREENEY
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football/article/363374/196/Colts-will-not-extend-offer-to-Freeney" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football ... to-Freeney</a>

Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - After 11 years together, the Indianapolis Colts and defensive end Dwight Freeney will be parting ways.

The Colts announced on Friday they will not extend a contract offer to the free agent to be, effectively ending a productive partnership. Free agency starts March 12.

Indianapolis has reaped the benefits of Freeney's production ever since drafting him with 11th pick in the 2002 NFL Draft, as he became the team's all-time sack leader and a seven-time Pro Bowler, while also helping the Colts capture Super Bowl XLI in 2007.

"Few people have meant as much to the success of the Indianapolis Colts as Dwight Freeney," said owner and CEO Jim Irsay. "He has been a dominant player, which is all the more impressive considering his size for his position, and he has won a lot of games for this franchise. Dwight was an artist, a joy to watch, and the dedication he put toward his craft was a rare quality. We will miss him, but look forward to his future induction into the Hall of Fame and Colts Ring of Honor."

During his illustrious tenure with Indianapolis, the three-time All-Pro notched 107.5 career sacks along with 44 forced fumbles.

Freeney recorded double-digit sack totals in seven of his 11 seasons with the Colts, producing his greatest single-season amount in 2004, when he led the league with 16 sacks.

However, the 32-year-old has seen his production decrease over the last four campaigns. In 2012, he only registered five sacks and 12 tackles in 14 contests.

PACKERS RELEASE WOODSON
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football/article/363359/196/Packers-release-Woodson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football ... se-Woodson</a>

Green Bay, WI (Sports Network) - Charles Woodson's seven-year run with the Green Bay Packers came to an end Friday, with the team formally giving the former NFL Defensive Player of the Year his release.

Coming off an injury-plagued 2012 campaign, Woodson was due a $6.5 million salary and would have counted $10 million against the cap had the Packers exercised an option bonus for the upcoming season. The 36-year-old defensive back was limited to just seven regular-season games last year due to a broken collarbone, though he did return to play in Green Bay's two playoff tilts.

One of the most successful free-agent acquisitions in franchise history, Woodson went to four Pro Bowls and started all 100 games he played in during his time with the Packers, who signed the veteran playmaker in April of 2006 following an eight-year stint with the Oakland Raiders.

His best season came in 2009, when Woodson tied for the NFL lead with nine interceptions and added four forced fumbles, two sacks and 18 passes defensed to become only the second Packer ever to garner the league's Defensive Player of the Year award.

Woodson set career bests with 92 tackles and five forced fumbles the following season, helping Green Bay to its most recent NFL title after the team's 31-25 victory over Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLV.

"We are grateful for all that Charles has given to the Green Bay Packers over the past seven years," said Packers general manager Ted Thompson. "He has been an integral part of the Packers' success and our Super Bowl title in 2010 would not have been possible without his contributions. A once-in-a-generation talent as a player, he is also a great leader and ambassador for the organization off the field. Charles will always be a member of the Packers family and we look forward to his eventual induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. We wish him and his family all the best."

Woodson also concludes his Green Bay tenure owning franchise records for defensive touchdowns (10) and interception return touchdowns (9), while his 38 interceptions in a Packer uniform are tied for fourth in club history.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Woodson would be a great leader for a team with a young secondary. His character and work ethic are top notch. First ballot HOF, IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel old. I remember when these cats were rookies. Like it was yesterday.
And it was 11 years ago. Where does the time go? :bummed:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
I do, and you are right. Time goes too quickly.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:

I'm entering the age where for the 1st time I'm actually gonna be older than the guys entering the draft. Now that's a sickening feeling. It's weird to "look up" to these guys. At least there's Sam...who I had the oppurtunity to take a class with. Well, OK the 2 classrooms were in the same building. And he was a year ahead of me. With a totally different major. BUT BUT in 2007 (my freshman year) I saw him go to class.

Edit: 5000 posts bitches!!!! :dancin: :dancin: :dancin: :peace: :peace: :peace:

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
DR RAM said:
Woodson would be a great leader for a team with a young secondary. His character and work ethic are top notch. First ballot HOF, IMO.

Agreed. And although he has lost a step I think he'd come at a fair price and could be our 4th corner and/or our 3rd safety. His ability to play near the LOS is also a positive.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Angry Ram said:
X said:

I'm entering the age where for the 1st time I'm actually gonna be older than the guys entering the draft. Now that's a sickening feeling. It's weird to "look up" to these guys. At least there's Sam...who I had the oppurtunity to take a class with. Well, OK the 2 classrooms were in the same building. And he was a year ahead of me. With a totally different major. BUT BUT in 2007 (my freshman year) I saw him go to class.

Edit: 5000 posts bitches!!!! :dancin: :dancin: :dancin: :peace: :peace: :peace:

You know, you probably also pee'd in the same urinal at some point. :lmao:

Congrats; 5k of pure buttery goodness.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I haven't searched the net to learn of his intentions; but I wonder if Woodson will retire?

He got torched over and over in the SF playoff game.

EDIT: According to this piece, his agent says he intends to play in search of a contender. The article speculates these landing spots;

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139546/article/where-could-charles-woodson-land-as-nfl-free-agent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... free-agent</a>

New England Patriots: Yeah, Bill Belichick has been known to sign an intelligent, versatile veteran player at the end of his career. Woodson could help Tavon Wilson, who may be slated to start opposite Devin McCourty. This one almost makes too much sense to happen.

Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens are going to be very thin at safety if Ed Reed leaves town. Having Woodson and Bernard Pollard in the same secondary could make the Ravens too slow though.

Denver Broncos: Denver has not shied away from veteran players in the secondary over the last few years. Their young safety crew could use a mentor at the position.

Houston Texans: The AFC South champs have four free agents at cornerback and safety, including starting free safety Glover Quin. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is good at coming up with plans that go to a player's strengths.

Minnesota Vikings: This wouldn't be like Brett Favre heading to rivals, but it would be weird. The Vikings have a need for help in the secondary because they don't really have a starter in place opposite Harrison Smith at safety.

Seattle Seahawks: I wouldn't have thought of this one on my own; the Seahawks are pretty well stocked. But Richard Sherman invited Woodson to come to Seattle on Twitter (and on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access", airing Friday night), so who am I to argue?