Starting Right OG Harevy Dahl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7d1e727f-2b0e-55a8-a3ce-462b56c7dfa6.html

Rams starting right guard Harvey Dahl is expected to miss several weeks after suffering a knee injury Monday night against Seattle.

“The big thing with the report we got from the doctor was that Harvey is going to miss some time,’’ Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said following Wednesday afternoon’s indoor practice at Rams Park in Earth City. “Don’t know, a couple of weeks perhaps, with the MCL.’’

Dahl, 32, strained the medial collateral ligament in his left knee in the third quarter of the 14-9 loss to the Seahawks. Shelley Smith took over and is expected to start Sunday when the Rams host the Tennessee Titans at the Edward Jones Dome.

“Praying for Harvey to make a quick recovery, but just trying to fill in where I’m needed to help the team,’’ said Smith, 26, who has been rotating at left guard with Chris Williams. “We definitely have a next-man-up mentality here because we have a lot of good players on the o-line who’ve helped create a lot of competition. We’re fortunate to have some depth so guys are just ready to go.’’

Smith, a fourth-year pro who was in on 39 of the Rams’ offensive plays Monday, felt he played well enough.

“We didn’t get the win, so obviously there’s work to be done,’’ he said.

I am thankful that its just a strain. From what I can find, this would be Dahl's first knee injury in the NFL. That says alot to me about him. I know he has not had a great year but the more the Rams run the better he gets. Top reserve OG Shelley Smith has put on some muscle & his poundage is also up last yr where he was playing around the 295-300 pound range. This off season he worked himself up & is now running around the 310-315 pound range depending what Ram sites you look at.

I am wondering if Boudreau will find a new rotational partner for OLG Chris Williams or run him full-time. IMO the rotation helped the OLG overall position play. Rams seemed to have several reserves ( Barnes-Barrett Jones-Persons) ready to fill Shelley's place in rotation @ OLG. I would like to see the rotation continue with Chris Williams myself.

fearsomefour

Legend
Harvey has been good the last several weeks after really struggling early in the season. I am looking forward to seeing what Smith brings to the table in more extended play.
As for the weights I have noticed most sites (even team sites) never update their info, so, if a guy is listed at 290 as a rookie he is listed as 290 10 years later. As we all know NFL weight training and conditioning can move these numbers around quite a bit. I agree Smith has gotten bigger.
I would assume the coaches dont want to have Barnes play a ton at G so they are not risking injury to their top reserve C. I would like to see Jones get some work if he is ready.
Back to Smith. It will be interesting to see how he holds up at the point over the course of an entire game....or several games when teams get more film to break down on him.