Starting OLine?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shawnbb158

Starter
So are we going to have 4 Tackles starting on the line for us next year with Long at LT, Robinson at LG, Saffold at RG and Barsdale at RT? is that what they are projecting right now?

iced

yep - most likely...

I for see a lot of running plays Left, behind our 2 best run blockers

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
yep - most likely...

I for see a lot of running plays Left, behind our 2 best run blockers

Your forgetting Saffold looked like a probowler playing RG last year? Man this line has the potential to be the best in the league in pass blocking and run blocking.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Runblockers = Fisher's favorite thing.

Long - Robinson - Wells - Saffold - Barksdale

I would like two more solid line picks to fill in for inevitable injuries so that we have Robinson able to play RT/LT, Saffold RT/LT and then add Guards from there.

iced

Your forgetting Saffold looked like a probowler playing RG last year? Man this line has the potential to be the best in the league in pass blocking and run blocking.

No I know Saffold is good - but Long is a much better blocker than Barksdale in the run game.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Or we might draft a Guard and for a jumbo set have Long (LOT), Guard, Wells (C), Safford(G), Robinson (ROT) and Barksdale @ Jumbo TE. And ideas for Guards: The kid out of UCLA, Bitonio (sp? out of Nevada), Yankey, Maybe Turner out of LSU....just throwing some names out.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Runblockers = Fisher's favorite thing.

Long - Robinson - Wells - Saffold - Barksdale

I would like two more solid line picks to fill in for inevitable injuries so that we have Robinson able to play RT/LT, Saffold RT/LT and then add Guards from there.
As long as those picks are LATER if the Rams don't think current depth is adequate.

I'm going to bang the drum about this until the Rams are out of the range where picking another OL would be moronic.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
They are doing the right thing. Getting the guys now to prepare for the future. long and Wells are not getting any younger. They are setting themselves up to not miss a beat in the depth dept. in case of injury and good to go when the older guys are finally done. As THIS team well knows .... you can NEVER have enough depth.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So are we going to have 4 Tackles starting on the line for us next year with Long at LT, Robinson at LG, Saffold at RG and Barsdale at RT? is that what they are projecting right now?

It does seem that many college OT's do move inside and do very well. I have been beating the drum for the move of college OT Saffold to OG since 2011 back in my RRF yrs. Saffold was a serious powerful run blocker from the OLT post. Saffold short arms and very stout frame was made for plowing DT's into the turf. Funny that no other OL coach figured that out till Boudreau.

Greg Robinson was always a OLG all his football life until but was thrown into the open OT very early after being red-shirted by the Tigers. Nothing new for GR to line up @ OLG. Barrett Jones started inside then moved outside then moved back inside.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm not going to be surprised if we also add another Guard. This is something I've felt we needed to address for some time. We need a beastly O-line in this division.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Long-Barksdale-Wells-Saffold-Robinson (by the end of the season)

I also have confidence that Barrett Jones might become the starting center by the end of the year

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm not going to be surprised if we also add another Guard. This is something I've felt we needed to address for some time. We need a beastly O-line in this division.

We will know soon enough here what their desires are...if they draft stickily a OG like a Gabe Jackson or a Xavier Su'a-Filo then we know who be our swing OT is .....Barrett Jones. I do not see Boudreau using the second overall draft selection in the 2014 draft as the back up swing OT. I do not see them bouncing GR from spot to spot as a rookie. Best to insert and cement Robinson where you want and leave him there if possible. Of course Jake Long rehabbing event will have some say so on that. But using a current Ram OL'er who won the Outland Trophy in 2011 playing & starting @ Left OT for the NCAA championship team till Jake Long is fully recovered & in full football playing shape is not all that bad of an option if they fail to draft a OT.

IMO the Snead need to look more in the direction of an OT/OG type player tonight like Joel Bitonio, David Yankey or a Billy Turner.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
They are doing the right thing. Getting the guys now to prepare for the future. long and Wells are not getting any younger. They are setting themselves up to not miss a beat in the depth dept. in case of injury and good to go when the older guys are finally done. As THIS team well knows .... you can NEVER have enough depth.
I'm all for getting more depth... at appropriate draft slots to draft depth. Not with our 2nd rounder and hopefully not with our 3rd rounder either.

It's the same reason I don't want a QB until the 4th either.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We will know soon enough here what their desires are...if they draft stickily a OG like a Gabe Jackson or a Xavier Su'a-Filo then we know who be our swing OT is .....Barrett Jones. I do not see Boudreau using the second overall draft selection in the 2014 draft as the back up swing OT. I do not see them bouncing GR from spot to spot as a rookie. Best to insert and cement Robinson where you want and leave him there if possible. Of course Jake Long rehabbing event will have some say so on that. But using a current Ram OL'er who won the Outland Trophy in 2011 playing & starting @ Left OT for the NCAA championship team till Jake Long is fully recovered & in full football playing shape is not all that bad of an option if they fail to draft a OT.

IMO the Snead need to look more in the direction of an OT/OG type player tonight like Joel Bitonio, David Yankey or a Billy Turner.
Yeah - I'd be more expecting them to take a Guard for real depth and as you say, maybe a multi-dimensional O-lineman is the reality. I'm not saying it is their next pick or anything but I really think they are going to take a guard/OL at some point over the weekend.