Starting Job Not Guaranteed If Bradford Returns

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.

03:41

ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner discusses St. Louis' interest in bringing QB Sam Bradford back, despite Bradford suffering a second torn left ACL in as many seasons, and coach Jeff Fisher's comments that nothing is guaranteed when it comes to starting QB.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Always interesting when I hear "Bringing back" Sam Bradford. They makes it sound like he isn't under contract lol.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Always interesting when I hear "Bringing back" Sam Bradford. They makes it sound like he isn't under contract lol.
crazy things sometimes happen. I doubt Sam would do it but maybe him and his agent won't restructure because some other team offered a better deal someone. So we could trade him and cut or losses (sorry I'm a pesimist i prepare for anything ). And get someone with decent potential or bring in a seasoned vet. Anyways most likely Sam stay and beats them out. But then hopefully we have a better backup just in case

SierraRam

Recreational User

uh, yeah. That's from the same guy that just gave Shotty a vote of confidence

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
crazy things sometimes happen. I doubt Sam would do it but maybe him and his agent won't restructure because some other team offered a better deal someone. So we could trade him and cut or losses (sorry I'm a pesimist i prepare for anything ). And get someone with decent potential or bring in a seasoned vet. Anyways most likely Sam stay and beats them out. But then hopefully we have a better backup just in case

I think Bryce Petty's stock is gonna soar and he's gonna be a first round pick. If we lose Sam, he's my guy.

EDIT: I take that back, Petty is not a first round talent. I thought he had a gun for an arm but he doesn't.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His starting job may not be GUARANTEED but barring injury, who is going to take it?

I think Bryce Petty's stock is gonna soar and he's gonna be a first round pick. If we lose Sam, he's my guy.

That sounds positively awful. Can't think of many situations in recent years where NFL teams reached on a QB and it panned out.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
His starting job may not be GUARANTEED but barring injury, who is going to take it?

That sounds positively awful. Can't think of many situations in recent years where NFL teams reached on a QB and it panned out.

I took it back, thought he had a huge arm with touch. He doesn't.

Turns out he has several flaws

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
only problem is that the Oline is shattered. IMO it needs addressed with one top Olineman in the draft and another in FA. Then QB in second round or a trade up into first. Or maybe even a Cutler if desperate.

uh, yeah. That's from the same guy that just gave Shotty a vote of confidence
what can i say don't shoot the messenger I'm just relaying what the head coach relayed to Wagoner. i can understand fisher not telling the truth its easier to just drop the ax without being bombarded for weeks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I took it back, thought he had a huge arm with touch. He doesn't.

Turns out he has several flaws

Yep. I get why people want a QB...but getting a QB isn't enough, we have to find the RIGHT QB. I'd hate to see us waste a premium pick because we tried to convince ourselves that a guy could possibly end up being the right QB.

The first and second rounds have offered us quality players over the past few years, I really would be upset if we passed up a quality player out of desperation for a QB. It pains me to say but this year's class outside of Winston and Mariota SUCKS. It really sucks.

I am going to try and give Petty and Hundley another chance but thus far, they just haven't shown me anything that makes me believe they're quality starting QBs in the NFL.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yep. I get why people want a QB...but getting a QB isn't enough, we have to find the RIGHT QB. I'd hate to see us waste a premium pick because we tried to convince ourselves that a guy could possibly end up being the right QB.

The first and second rounds have offered us quality players over the past few years, I really would be upset if we passed up a quality player out of desperation for a QB. It pains me to say but this year's class outside of Winston and Mariota SUCKS. It really sucks.

I am going to try and give Petty and Hundley another chance but thus far, they just haven't shown me anything that makes me believe they're quality starting QBs in the NFL.

My guess is two teams will reach for these two. I would be reluctant to give a third rounder for Hundly. He needs to sit for a couple years. He's not even close mentally.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

He's also not going to be a 6th rnd steal from the University of Phoenix.
I'm tired of those.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Wagner can say what he wants but there isn't any other significant QB option over Bradford that is within reason. If Bradford's knee is good to go, he is under center. I GUARANTEE IT!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Yep! Bradford's starting job is just a guaranteed as Aaron Roger's. If he's healthy he's starting.

There are no better options.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's also not going to be a 6th rnd steal from the University of Phoenix.
I'm tired of those.

Wasting a 1st/2nd/3rd round pick on a cruddy QB is a lot worse than a 6th rounder. Simply drafting a QB earlier doesn't guarantee you anything.

Gotta be someone worth drafting.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nonsense. If Sam is under contract, he will be the starter.
Reading tea leaves here
Option 1- Fisher says no guarantee, then they negotiate extension which forces Sam to convert salary to performance based incentives (Not sure how that goes but..) Sam questions the commitment to him and how logical the incentives can be met if he is not playing, so he doesnt restructure. Ends up being released, but the Rams publicly look as though it was Sam's choice not theirs.
Option 2- Fisher got burned last year by proclaiming who his starter was, and had to go back on it several times. Doesnt want to proclaim Sam the starter (even though he unequivocally will be) in case he gets hurt and its same story all over again

Sam will not be beat out in an open competition by pretty much any QB not named Rodgers, Brady, Manning. And in pre-season his perfomance has always been A+ stuff so if he's in camp, he's the guy

fearsomefour

Legend

"Id hate to us waste a premium pick because we tried to convince ourselves that a guy could possibly end up being the right QB"
That statement sums it up.
Teams reach out of desperation. The financials make less of a disaster than before, but, the push to start a high draft QB still changes the focus of the organization. There is one QB I like quite a bit in this class, the other I have seen, not so much.
The ability to bring someone in who can compete in a real way with Bradford is why his job is basically his unless injury happens again.
It will interesting to see if the Rams do try to trade for another QB with NFL experience like a Glennon or if Hill is ok with them as the backup going forward.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wasting a 1st/2nd/3rd round pick on a cruddy QB is a lot worse than a 6th rounder. Simply drafting a QB earlier doesn't guarantee you anything.

I dont necassarily agree. If the expectation is "Franchise QB" then the expection is too high. There's only been a small few of them drafted in the last 10 years. Cant keep hoping for Aaron Rodgers may have to settle for Andy Dalton. Just need a guy who wont kill you and can play 16 games

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Nonsense. If Sam is under contract, he will be the starter.
Reading tea leaves here
Option 1- Fisher says no guarantee, then they negotiate extension which forces Sam to convert salary to performance based incentives (Not sure how that goes but..) Sam questions the commitment to him and how logical the incentives can be met if he is not playing, so he doesnt restructure. Ends up being released, but the Rams publicly look as though it was Sam's choice not theirs.
Option 2- Fisher got burned last year by proclaiming who his starter was, and had to go back on it several times. Doesnt want to proclaim Sam the starter (even though he unequivocally will be) in case he gets hurt and its same story all over again

Sam will not be beat out in an open competition by pretty much any QB not named Rodgers, Brady, Manning. And in pre-season his perfomance has always been A+ stuff so if he's in camp, he's the guy

Its this - unless Sam is physically unable to perform, he will beat out anyone in camp minus the above 3.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Completely agree with this also.
Most starting caliber QBs do get drafted in the early rnds. The 6th rnd Tom Bradys are incredibly rare.

The unfortunate fact is the 1st rnd Geno Smiths aren't.

Although it's always a gamble. The odds sway in the teams favor with the earlier rnd qbs. As long as your not reaching to far up for them.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I didn't want to say this immediately because I didn't want to be That Guy®, but I'm pretty sure it's been long said by others that Sam wasn't going to be guaranteed the starting job. And even for someone who still likes Sam, that makes a lot of sense.

Although I do agree that a healthy Sam is going to easily beat out anyone else we bring in.