Starting fast at top of Rams' list against Niners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Starting fast at top of Rams' list against Niners
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...rting-fast-at-top-of-rams-list-against-niners

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams and San Francisco 49ers kick off Sunday at 1 p.m. ET at the Edward Jones Dome. Here are three things to watch from a Rams' perspective in that matchup:

1. Starting fast: The Rams' defense is good enough to keep them in the game for all four quarters against the Niners, but it sure wouldn't hurt if the Rams' offense actually woke up before the second half this week to help take some of the pressure off the defense. Simply put, the Rams' offense has been atrocious in the first quarter of games.

The Rams have scored just once on their opening possession (a 17-yard drive after a fumble recovery on the kickoff against Arizona) and the offense has mustered just 10 points in the first quarter. Worse, the Rams aren't even moving the ball in the opening quarter, averaging a league-low 2.85 yards per play and 30.8 yards. Perhaps most damning, the Rams have mustered only 11 first downs in the first quarter, which lags far behind everyone else in the league. Miami is 31st with 21.

San Francisco is yielding 89.7 yards per game and 5.92 yards per play in the first quarter, both of which ranks in the 20 range in the NFL, meaning there could be an opportunity for the Rams to get on track early in this one.

The Rams found an offensive spark last week when they went to the no huddle in the third quarter. Perhaps it could be used to get them off to a faster start this time around.

Carlos Hyde
Carlos Hyde's status for this week is uncertain, but if he does play, the Rams must focus on slowing him down.
2. Slowing the run: In San Francisco's seven games, they've lost by two or more touchdowns in four of them. In the Niners' three other games, they've won two and lost the other by a field goal. While there are plenty of reasons for those varied outcomes, there's one common denominator present in the wins and close game that isn't in the blowout losses: running back Carlos Hyde has been prominently involved.

Hyde was at his best in the season opener against Minnesota, a 20-3 victory in which he had 182 yards of offense and two touchdowns. He had 97 yards and a touchdown in a three-point loss to the New York Giants and 60 yards in a win against Baltimore. In all three games, Hyde had at least 21 carries, so even when he didn't produce much against the Ravens, he was at least a heavy part of the game plan.

Hyde has been dealing with a foot injury and has been ruled out for this week. Reggie Bush is the primary backup who will be asked to get the running game going. The Niners are 31st in the NFL in passing yards per game (ranked only better than the Rams), so slowing Bush and the run game should provide plenty of chances to get after quarterback Colin Kaepernick and force turnovers.

3. Airing it out: It's no secret that running back Todd Gurley has already emerged as the focal point of the Rams' offense and that will continue this week. But the Rams also need to start finding some traction in the passing game. Quarterback Nick Foles and Co. are last in the league in passing yards per game (though they're middle of the road in yards per attempt). That's not a big deal if the running game is rolling, but if it's not, the Rams are in trouble.

Long passing plays would help loosen things up for Gurley and allow the Rams to put together long drives without having to piecemeal them together. The Niners' defense offers a prime opportunity to do just that. San Francisco is 31st in the league in pass defense, allowing 292.7 yards per game, and 31st in net passing yards allowed per attempt at 8.07. They've also given up a whopping 28 pass plays of 20 yards or more (tied for 28th in the NFL) and seven pass plays of 40 yards or more (tied for third-from-last in the league).

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Agree, that will gash their confidence early. Would be huuuge to win the coin toss and get a quick three and out. Then put a 7 min 30 drive together capped off with a Gurley TD inside the ten.

This would be a great week to get Tavon going. Niners game plan is stopping Gurley. I can see Tavon breaking a big one pretty easy.

(Was reading the Niners message board but had to stop. They are flat out making fun of themselves and hoping they fail to get the coach fired. We've had a lot of grumbling in our times, epic bad times at that. But I've never seen a board more toxic than that. It wasn't even funny. So yeah, that's how it should be lol. Great time to be a Rams fan! Oh, they did point out the spread is Rams by 8.5 now. That's the biggest spread in the NFL right now, they say.)

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm gonna be in the ED and the Rams do need a fast start. This is a dangerous team...don't let the record fool you! I'm leaving for St Louis now!

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Worried about our flood of injuries that are starting to spread. Especially on our BIGTIME "D". WE NEED EVERYONE WE HAVE READY FOR vikes game next week. I Want PLAYOFFS !!!:icare:So many need to step up for Tomorrows game like Big Doug W. To backup Brockers . NO MORE INJURIES PLEASE!!!:grouphug:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Much as I love the Rams , I hate to see that big a spread...It just makes me a little nervous...Just need a win by 1 or 51...I hope for the quick start..They got the 2 quick tos last week, but the Browns were still in the game for longer than the should have been..I want the Rams to drop a big load on the Whiners early...