Start of Title Defense Nothing Like Crazy 2000 Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The first two games of the Rams' current title defense might not be exactly what we expected.

Still, its not as crazy as the start of the previous title defense in 2000.

That year, the Rams started 6-0 and, during that span, they scored an average of 43.7 points per game.

Not, that wasn't a typo. 43.7 points per game! And, on top of that, the offense averaged 509.3 yards per game (again, not a typo!).

A couple of problems, though. First, the defense gave up 29.0 points per game during that span, on its way to being the 31st ranked scoring defense that year. Second, Kurt Warner was injured and, though Trent Green filled in admirably, the offense's dominance had a lot more lapses as the season wore on.

During that 6-0 start, another issue started to emerge: turnovers. They had 9 in those 6 games. That's not ideal, but it got worse. In the remaining 10 games, the Rams turned the ball over 26 times. 35 turnovers in 16 games is not good, and this foreshadowed the Rams' playoff loss to New Orleans, in which they turned it over another 5 times, including the Az Hakim fumble that haunts us to this day.

The Rams would retool the next year, bringing in everything needed to repeat except a better anti-spying security system, but a trip to the big game in two consecutive seasons was not to be.

I don't know how this year will turn out. Will it be a better attempt to repeat than 2000? Who knows? I'm pretty sure it won't be weirder, though.

At least, I hope not.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Still, its not as crazy as the start of the previous title defense in 2000.

That year, the Rams started 6-0 and, during that span, they scored an average of 43.7 points per game.

Not, that wasn't a typo. 43.7 points per game! And, on top of that, the offense averaged 509.3 yards per game (again, not a typo!).
Damn. Yeah, WOW those stats are CRAZY! And that was early 2000’s.

The NFL season is a journey!

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
That year and to some degree this year it's hard to tell what's coming. Back then I knew our defense sucked so I was hopeful but did't expect to go all the way.

This year, our defense has looked good at times. , While we only forced 1 punt in two games, keep in mind that we forced like 6 turnovers which is better than a punt.

It's our offense that is questionable. Without Van Jefferson or OBJ, defenses can stack their coverage against Kupp and Robinson, although Kupp is so good that he still gets his.

But I'm hoping OBJ comes back because the hype might sway him to Buffalo which would make them nearly unbeatable.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
When I think of the 2000 Rams, my first thought is about their crazy demolishing of the Chargers in week 5, a game they won 57-31. Really enjoyed Chris Berman's recap of the game, complete with the William Tell Overture and an early reference to the circus and "the Greatest Show on Earth"... (which later was tweaked to GSOT).

2000 offense was insanely good. But the defense was *almost* as bad as the offense was good. What a crazy season that was.

Anyway, here's a clip of Berman's memorable recap of that game:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8rrS-gv8w0s

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
When I think of the 2000 Rams, my first thought is about their crazy demolishing of the Chargers in week 5, a game they won 57-31. Really enjoyed Chris Berman's recap of the game, complete with the William Tell Overture and an early reference to the circus and "the Greatest Show on Earth"... (which later was tweaked to GSOT).

2000 offense was insanely good. But the defense was *almost* as bad as the offense was good. What a crazy season that was.

That was awesome. Berman was at his peak back then with those game recaps.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...

Sitting your starter with 4 minutes left in the third...that is living the good life!

winning charlie sheen GIF

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
But I'm hoping OBJ comes back because the hype might sway him to Buffalo which would make them nearly unbeatable.
Would OBJ rather live in 70-degree weather (LA) in December/January or freezes his butt off in Buffalo at 0 degrees.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
The 2001 team the best of the three. Aeneas Williams is still my all time favorite safety. Eric Berry is my #2. Ed Reid #3.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The 2001 team the best of the three. Aeneas Williams is still my all time favorite safety. Eric Berry is my #2. Ed Reid #3.

Aeneas Williams delivered the career ending hit to Steve Young when he was QB of the whiners.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
The 2001 team the best of the three.
Agreed with you there. 99 Rams were the team of destiny, but the 2001 Rams were even more dominant IMHO. Rams were gigantic favorites to win it all , the SB point spread was -14 for good reason. Which is why I'll never get over it that the 2001 Rams didn't get their rightful due because the Pats cheated by secretly taping the Rams practice plays...#%^$&@$!!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OBJ, who was in grade school when the Rams defended the 1999 title, has hijacked this thread!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i wonder who will get back on the field first, obj or van jefferson.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Would OBJ rather live in 70-degree weather (LA) in December/January or freezes his butt off in Buffalo at 0 degrees.
I will answer the rhetorical, My guess is he would rather have the warm weather.
The problem is I doubt weather is close to the top of his priority list when making the decision. I do feel like he wants to come back to the Rams though.