Stan Kroenke hopes he's still got magic touch with QBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY Sports

img

LOS ANGELES — Stan Kroenke couldn’t help but get a bit nostalgic.

Betting the farm on prized rookie Jared Goffreminds the Los Angeles Rams owner of the time he signed off on another quarterback, one who went on to make quite a name for himself — Kurt Warner.

It was the summer of 1998. Warner, who spent that spring in the now-defunct NFL Europe league, was trying to stick as a street free agent at the team's camp in Macomb, Ill., while Kroenke maneuvered in the shadows as a minority owner.

“Dick Vermeil asked me my opinion on who the third quarterback should be,” Kroenke recalled during a wide-ranging interview with USA TODAY Sports.

As he sat in a lounge adjacent to the Rams’ war room during the draft, Kroenke, 68, sounded incredulous while pondering that Vermeil, the accomplished former coach of the Rams, asked him for advice one evening following an intra-squad scrimmage. Warner was competing with Will Furrer.

“I had a great relationship with Dick,” Kroenke said. “Dick loved Will Furrer, the type of guy we’d all want to marry our daughter. He worked his tail off. Came out of Virginia Tech. I liked Will. Nobody knew anything about Kurt, but I watched the scrimmage, and this is the similarity with Goff: I told Dick, ‘OK, I’ve never played football, but you want my opinion? The kid from Northern Iowa can see. He’s got vision. It’s like a really good point guard. Some guys have it, some guys don’t. Whether it’s Arena Football that gave it to him or whatever, but he can see.’

“And Jared has that. It’s the vision thing.”

Kroenke has some first-hand experience with point guards.

“Stan was quite the basketball player,” Hall of Fame tight end Kellen Winslow told USA TODAY Sports.

When they attended the University of Missouri during the 1970s, Winslow and Kroenke were teammates on a city league team in Columbia, Mo., which was organized by former NFL receiver Leo Lewis. Winslow remembers the highly competitive league played on Tuesday nights, and that Kroenke was the big guy wearing knee braces who consistently drained long-range jumpers.

Maybe this doesn’t qualify as “street cred” now, but Winslow said the easy-going Kroenke was a “gym rat” who earned much respect for his game back in the day.

“The original three-pointer!” Winslow said.

And a man who could see an undrafted quarterback's talent from way downtown.

So add another anecdote to the legend of Warner, a likely Hall of Famer. He was endorsed by a man who has built a fortune ($6.3 billion, according to Forbes last September) in real estate development, not in the NFL scouting ranks.

“I’ve heard a number of stories, but I have not heard that story before,” Warner told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday. “It seems like there was a lot of indecision. One story is that coach went around the room during a meeting, asking the offensive and defensive coaches, and it was 50-50.”

Vermeil undoubtedly made the final call, but confirmed to USA TODAY Sports that he considered Kroenke’s opinion.

“When he made a statement, you listened to him,” Vermeil said.

Kroenke didn’t become the Rams' majority owner until 2010, but Vermeil said that even when Kroenke was in his minority role, he tried to persuade him to have a larger presence.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2016/05/01/draft-class-instant-impact/83789598/
“I used to aggressively try to bring him in to talk to the team,” remembers Vermeil, who coached the Rams for three years before stepping down after Warner, the surprise league MVP, led the 1999 team to victory in Super Bowl XXXIV.

"He preferred to stayin the background. It’s not because he’s a snob. He’s just so humble.”

Kroenke still carries a low profile, publicly, but it’s striking to consider how his involvement with the team has changed with his all-in ownership stake. Although coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead run the football operations, the huge trade with the Tennessee Titans to land the top pick in the draft wasn’t finalized until Kroenke approved it.

On the heels of the franchise's relocation from St. Louis, the trade provided — intended or not — an aggressive statement that resonates while the Rams rebuild their L.A. fan base.

“I said it had to be about football. It can’t be about headlines,” Kroenke said. “Headlines don’t win football games. Maybe that makes you feel good in the spring, but it doesn’t win you anything. But the cool part is that (Fisher) said, ‘If I were still in Tennessee, I’d do it.’ And then we ran analytics and felt the compensation that we gave up was right in the ballpark, that we weren’t super over-paying. So we felt it was thought-out well and done for the right reasons. Fine with me.”

The Rams moved up from the 15th slot in the first round for Goff, their undeniable target. Yet they continued to vet the decision over the ensuing weeks. The process included a dinner interview.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/rams/2016/05/05/tyler-higbee-court-appearance/83965548/
“I made sure I sat next to him, because I wanted to get a sense of him,” Kroenke said.

His takeaway?

“Very mature,” he said of Goff. “And the other thing I’ll tell you I think: I just saw what I see. You don’t know how this all works. It’s a probability thing. But he was very comfortable, very confident. He will not be overwhelmed, being in L.A.”

The Rams’ process included reaching out to at least one person who doesn’t work for the franchise or otherwise have a deep connection to Goff: Warner.

“I got a call from Les Snead, three or four days before the draft, asking my opinion,” said Warner. “It was the same idea, like with Vermeil. ‘We’re going to vet everybody.’ It’s kind of ironic. Years ago, they vetted me.”

And look at how that turned out.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Kronke likes money first. Then and only then maybe winning.

Rooney likes winning first. It shows.

Example. Kronke tried to get Khan to cough up more cash to keep from excercising his right of first refusal.

If Kronke wanted to win. He would have pounced when Georgia passed.

Just sayin.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Kronke likes money first. Then and only then maybe winning.

Rooney likes winning first. It shows.

Example. Kronke tried to get Khan to cough up more cash to keep from excercising his right of first refusal.

If Kronke wanted to win. He would have pounced when Georgia passed.

Just sayin.

Nah, why pounce when he already owned the team without needing to pay for it.

Who would have figured he was more involved in the process though.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Wow another interview from SK?? Is this the twilight zone? He never gives interviews, ask StLToday.

Interesting he played hoops competitively, that gives a little more insight to me about why he owns the different teams. It certainly isn't just about making money, he's got real estate to support his sports habit. I like it.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I've also read that Kroenke dunked on people while at the gym.

Stan takes no shorts no losses.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Cool article.

Aside...I have always believed Warner benefited, hugely, from having played arena football.

And that is what I HATED about Foles...I'd count 1...2...THROW the FUCKING BALL!

Which of course he wouldn't, and we all saw what happened.

I don't give a FUCK about INT's. Really don't. I want a guy that believes in his shit enough to pull the trigger, and guess what, boys and girls...we got him.

And I don't like kool aid.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Yeah I call BS on this one. Very doubtful SK is the guy that really jump started Kurt's career.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
How do you exercise a right of first refusal before an offer is accepted?

My bad. I should have said give up his right of first refusal. Had Khan paid him the 300 million it was reported he was asking for Not to exercise his right of refusal

PARAM

Hall of Fame
My bad. I should have said give up his right of first refusal. Had Khan paid him the 300 million it was reported he was asking for Not to exercise his right of refusal

Who reported that? Is that post-move B.S. somebody came out with or was that reported at the time Khan was trying to buy the Rams? Or did Kroenke want 300 million (sounds low) for his 40%? I think, when looking at what has transpired since GFs death, that Kroenke saw the future and pounced as smart, successful businessmen always seem to do.

I love some of the comments about how he values the buck vs winning, when winning actually brings more bucks. What franchise is more storied, the Browns or the Patriots? Which one is more valuable? Now which franchise is more storied, the LA Rams or the St. Louis Rams? Which one is more valuable right now? And all things being equal, win-wise, which one is more valuable long term?

Psycho_X

Legend
Stan doing his best to help his image suddenly by actually talking and taking what credit he can for 3 of the 4 winnings seasons the Rams had in the Lou over 21. Too bad none of them were actually on his watch. Guess he's concerned about it now that he's about to invest $3 billion into the teams stadium.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And in a shocking turn of events an article is written by a Los Angeles reporter that makes Kroenke look better than normal and everybody around St Louis doesn't believe it. Never saw this coming :D

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
OK

I'm trusting that everyone can keep it together here. Don't prove me wrong.

Taking cheap shots at Stan is not going to fly here... and the same goes for taking shots at each other.

Thanks

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK

I'm trusting that everyone can keep it together here. Don't prove me wrong.

Taking cheap shots at Stan is not going to fly here... and the same goes for taking shots at each other.

Thanks
Just to be sure I wasn't taking a shot at anybody, just pointing out that any article that's positive to Kroenke is going to be received in a certain fashion.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Speak softly and carry a big stick. I'm so glad we have an owner that earned his money, unlike what we're seeing with the other CA teams who are begging the state for money. Money the state doesn't have... I just read an article that the Whiners are trying to renegotiate it's deal with Santa Clara County to pay less taxes. After their first season in the new stadium!

Psycho_X

Legend
Just to be sure I wasn't taking a shot at anybody, just pointing out that any article that's positive to Kroenke is going to be received in a certain fashion.

Not taking a shot at anyone either just pointing out that Kroenke could have easily been doing these fluff pieces the last five years and earned a little karma. But I understand, his billions weren't at stake at the time. Now that they are I'm sure he'll be the perfect owner who puts winning first.

Status
Not open for further replies.