Staley and the Run Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

jjab360

Legend
Nothing that hasn't been said before, he is a very good speaker though.

He's an easy coach to root for, I think he'll probably have the most long term success out of the McVay coaching tree so far

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I miss Brandon Staley....Oh so very much and feel Rams should of had him one more year, but clearly he was ready and I feel will be a Super Bowl winning Head Coach. BTW a University of Dayton Alum...Go Flyers.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Love Staley. It is too bad we lost him but that is what happens when you win. I suspect he will surpass McVay in time, who is himself a good coach, because I suspect he will learn from his mistakes much better than McVay does. Time will tell. Flame away.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Love Staley. It is too bad we lost him but that is what happens when you win. I suspect he will surpass McVay in time, who is himself a good coach, because I suspect he will learn from his mistakes much better than McVay does. Time will tell. Flame away.
McVay is 3 years younger than Staley and is entering his 5 yr as a head coach. It's not likely that McVay retires before Staley. McVay has not had a losing season yet, so for Staley to pass McVay, he has have a winning record for 4 years in a row, and make the playoffs 3/4 years including a Superbowl appearance. Oh, and win Coach of the Year.

I like and respect Staley but he has a lot of catching up to do.

EDIT: Also, Staley was only with us for one year. Our last game of the year was against the Packers in the playoffs, and one could argue that the defense was the reason we lost that game and Staley made the mistake of leaving Troy Hill on an island. So Staley needs to learn from the mistake that he made.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Staley definitely learned from mistakes. His ability to lock teams down second half paired so nicely with McVay.

McVay's biggest prob is his notoriety. That owner desire to take his assistants every year sucks. I just hope that shit works in our favor this offseason.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
Staley definitely learned from mistakes. His ability to lock teams down second half paired so nicely with McVay.

McVay's biggest prob is his notoriety. That owner desire to take his assistants every year sucks. I just hope that shit works in our favor this offseason.
Mcvays biggest problem is not embracing the run !

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Staley may surpass McVay this year if the Rams' D doesn't get better.

Staley may be the next Belichek. I don't say that lightly. Imo he's that good as a defensive coach.

The Chargers are for real. Justin Herbert may be the best young QB in the game. Lots of talent all around. Excellent OC running some variant of the New Orleans offense. Chargers may well win the AFC West and make a serious playoff run.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mcvays biggest problem is not embracing the run !
With all offensive geniuses that's a consistent fan take. And I think it's a weakness of his without a doubt but not his biggest issue. The guy is basically a victim of his ability to win games. Owners just can't get enough of him even if it's just his assistants.

I think if we had Staley this year we'd see both units well into that top 10. We're 6th in scoring on offense and probably will finish top five. The defense is hurting our offense because every team we've played has eaten clock with sustained drives, which is what teams want to do vs an explosive offense. It's a bad pairing.

We are currently:

* 18th in scoring allowed.
* 30th in opponent third down conversion percentage.
* 27th in opponent yards per rush.
* 14th in opponent passer rating.

Even worse is opposing passers are facing the 10th rush in sack percentage and I suspect the Rams are higher than that in pressures, because they have flushed QB after QB but their poor contain and poor secondary play have bled yards vs every offense. This means we have serious problems on the back end.

Now if Morris can get this unit playing better, even if they just say fuck it and let him call what he's comfortable with in the more standard Cover 2 and 3 looks (meaning if he does that and things improve because he knows what he's calling), this team will definitely take off and start rolling opponents.

In terms of prioritization the passing game needs to be locked down first. This is why I think Rapp is in question, and Long needs to be as well. Fix those individuals' mistakes and get the back end sorted then things will start feeling different.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
In terms of prioritization the passing game needs to be locked down first. This is why I think Rapp is in question, and Long needs to be as well. Fix those individuals' mistakes and get the back end sorted then things will start feeling different.

I really wonder what is going on with Burgess, because I expected him to be out there with Fuller instead of Rapp. Burgess showed promise in his limited pre-injury appearances last year and I think his skills are better suited for Rapp's current position than those of Rapp himself.

As for Long ... maybe it's just time for them to admit they missed on one. Let's see what Rochelle can do. We've waited a (pardon the pun) a long time for David to come around, and he hasn't.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
It’s easy to say we don’t run enough when a pass play doesn’t work. Realistically, I’m it’s hard to run 50% of the time. Unless it’s 3rd and short, 3rd downs are pretty much passing downs. And you can’t be predictable and run the ball every first down. So if a run gets stuffed or a pass is incomplete, it’s hard not pass on 2nd and long, and then on third down. And then if you’re trailing big, you pretty much have to pass your way out of it.

Im not saying he doesn’t prefer to pass, but some games you can’t help but pass more than run.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really wonder what is going on with Burgess, because I expected him to be out there with Fuller instead of Rapp. Burgess showed promise in his limited pre-injury appearances last year and I think his skills are better suited for Rapp's current position than those of Rapp himself.

As for Long ... maybe it's just time for them to admit they missed on one. Let's see what Rochelle can do. We've waited a (pardon the pun) a long time for David to come around, and he hasn't.
Re: Burgess I just don't know man. It's year two for him and he couldn't beat out Rapp, who has struggled so far. So how bad is Burgess if he couldn't beat him out. And to what extent is it Morris and the calls/prep. I honestly don't know but if they're at least changing out the guys who aren't performing that's a start eh?

Long was in position for a few plays, to his credit, but got passes completed in his face. I just feel like he's too tentative, the guy isn't really disruptive with the wideouts. He's just not a balls skill DB he's more a technician which can work but you gotta be able to do something when you're in position. Some of the smaller DBs time their hits really well to compensate, others are good at getting their arms and hands in there but you gotta have some kind of translatable skill or more dog in you to do that. I just don't think there's enough dog in him, yeah that's the best way to say it.

I'm sure Rochell will drive us batshit if he takes the job since he's a rook. But every time that dude has been given a chance he's at least flashed a bit. And his lanky ass can disrupt at least.

If I'm Morris tonight you'd see Juju at safety in place of Rapp, who would be relegated to nickelbacker packages. And Rochell would be in there for Long. I think we'd be at least solid vs the pass with those changes.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Re: Burgess I just don't know man. It's year two for him and he couldn't beat out Rapp, who has struggled so far. So how bad is Burgess if he couldn't beat him out. And to what extent is it Morris and the calls/prep. I honestly don't know but if they're at least changing out the guys who aren't performing that's a start eh?

Alternate question: Is it really that he can't beat out Rapp, or does Morris just favor Rapp over him for some unknown reason? As I noted, Burgess did play well and showed promise in his limited time last year. And he's playing STs this year, which suggests its not a lingering issue from last year's injury. Rapp has just never been that good as a deep safety in coverage, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that there is not someone else on the roster better suited for the role they are trying to make him play at the present.