Stafford feeling the pressure?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Figured since I made an impulse drunk purchase of a PFF subscription I’d try to get my money’s worth and share with guys who may not have it. Here’s how our new Franchise QB performed under pressure in 2020. I alluded to this a bit in my last thread that teams will have to be more opportunistic when blitzing against us in 2021 and not mindlessly call blitzes and the numbers seem to support that notion a bit. Stafford posted a 63.3 completion percentage when blitzed and only threw 2 ints while under pressure both of which are very encouraging IMO.

C7F63112-59AF-4669-82B1-F249684AE6BA.jpeg

5F4EE76B-D029-48BB-91A0-88954BEA2C6F.jpeg

CF88CAEB-8FFC-4D5D-BEA4-3697F4C3D373.jpeg

26D5DA15-C785-4E0B-890B-3B6AF311C73C.jpeg

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Why is under pressure a lot lower? Are those missed blocks or plays where no one was open?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If the Rams let Malcolm Brown walk and plan to depend on Akers, Henderson and Jones to provide blitz pickup for Stafford, you can bet sacks will go up. None of those RB's come close to Brown at being able to recognize and pick up blitzing LB's.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why is under pressure a lot lower? Are those missed blocks or plays where no one was open?
Do you mean completion percentage while under pressure? If so I assume because that is the most difficult situation for a quarterback to complete passes. When blitzed doesn't necessarily mean they got pressure. For reference Aaron Rodgers posted a 44% completion percentage under pressure in 2020 with nearly identical attempts.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams let Malcolm Brown walk and plan to depend on Akers, Henderson and Jones to provide blitz pickup for Stafford, you can bet sacks will go up. None of those RB's come close to Brown at being able to recognize and pick up blitzing LB's.
Brown missed a couple of blocks last year and was basically lost in space. Miami game in particular when he walked right by the unblocked DE who blindesided Goff for a fumble.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Do you mean completion percentage while under pressure? If so I assume because that is the most difficult situation for a quarterback to complete passes. When blitzed doesn't necessarily mean they got pressure
Yes, completion percentage under pressure. I get what you're saying about blitzes not always resulting in pressure, but I assume the 'when blitzed' completion percentage includes blitzes that caused pressure as well. The difference in completion % between under pressure and when blitzed is so large that (to me) it indicates that he struggled more against pressures caused by 3 or 4 man fronts. So I'm assuming the coverage was good on these plays and he had to throw it away, or someone was beat and he had to get rid of the ball quickly.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
You want Rams to depend on Akers, Henderson or Jones to recognize and pick up blitz" Dieter?
Just sayin' Brown is the best they've got for that.

Shuie3225

Starter
Look at his Big Time Throw percentage and Average Depth of Target when under pressure too. Its 7.8% and 12yds respectively. His highest grades in both categories come when under pressure. He throws the ball down the field and makes big throws in these moments.

I don't know why people hate on PFF, this type of analysis is so in depth. Thanks for posting. The only PFF grading I've seen that is questionable to me is how they grade the secondary, because it's solely based on opportunity. Outside of that their shit is legit.

Shuie3225

Starter
You want Rams to depend on Akers, Henderson or Jones to recognize and pick up blitz" Dieter?
Just sayin' Brown is the best they've got for that.

Give Akers a chance to develop man. He's not a terrible blocker but needs to improve. And having him on the field for 3rd down is critical. He hardly caught the ball last year and thats a huge part of his game. With Stafford now at QB I'd much rather have Akers on the field for 3rd down with his playmaking ability than a cement footed blocker who will do nothing with the ball in his hands.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, completion percentage under pressure. I get what you're saying about blitzes not always resulting in pressure, but I assume the 'when blitzed' completion percentage includes blitzes that caused pressure as well. The difference in completion % between under pressure and when blitzed is so large that (to me) it indicates that he struggled more against pressures caused by 3 or 4 man fronts. So I'm assuming the coverage was good on these plays and he had to throw it away, or someone was beat and he had to get rid of the ball quickly.
Not sure if you saw my edit but for reference Aaron Rodgers completed 44% of his passes under pressure in 2020 with nearly identical amount of opportunities as Stafford. 50% is nothing to be worried about...they are pocket passers most of them struggle when pressured I'm more happy with the only 2 int's when pressured...he doesn't panic. And yeah I see what you're saying about maybe struggling more against 3 or 4 man fronts getting pressure but I think we need a lot more analysis that I cant provide to come to that conclusion...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look at his Big Time Throw percentage and Average Depth of Target when under pressure too. Its 7.8% and 12yds respectively. His highest grades in both categories come when under pressure. He throws the ball down the field and makes big throws in these moments.

I don't know why people hate on PFF, this type of analysis is so in depth. Thanks for posting. The only PFF grading I've seen that is questionable to me is how they grade the secondary, because it's solely based on opportunity. Outside of that their shit is legit.
I like PFF ....it just needs to be taken with a grain of salt and I think a lot of the hate it gets is because some people don't realize that and think that PFF has with 100% accuracy mathematically figured out football. It's a great tool that needs to used with other analysis as well.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Really looking forward to Stafford being formally introduced and hearing him speak. Should happen this week I think since the trade is official from Wednesday.

sloramfan

Starter
"the trade is official on wednesday"...

finally...

i can't wait to hear all of them ( mcvay/snead/stafford) speak...

go rams

slo

Psycho_X

Legend
Really looking forward to Stafford being formally introduced and hearing him speak. Should happen this week I think since the trade is official from Wednesday.

Agreed, can't wait to get this ball rolling on the new season officially.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he was also one of the highest rated passers when under pressure in the league. Not sure if anyone said that yet but just wanted to add.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he was also one of the highest rated passers when under pressure in the league. Not sure if anyone said that yet but just wanted to add.
That being said...let’s get him a center so we don’t have to see him throw under pressure

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah he's very good under pressure. Calm when things are falling apart. Makes crazy throws too I mean throws that if Mahomes had made them would be all over the airwaves and this is why so many of us overlooked some of his strengths. The guy has quietly matured into a very good QB who has a strong grasp of the important things.

Also I think this offense with its layups and ground game marriage will be a windfall for Matthew. And he'll be a big impact for us too. IMO people are going to be surprised by how good this dude is. I had totally overlooked this guy my take on him was who he was five years ago. He's a wily vet now with a full bag of tricks to include shit like no-look passes.

Tano

Legend
Brown missed a couple of blocks last year and was basically lost in space. Miami game in particular when he walked right by the unblocked DE who blindesided Goff for a fumble.
I think Henderson was the culprit on that play. Or maybe I am thinking of a different play where Henderson was doing a fake jet sweep to the right and completely ran by the blitzing defender. All he had to do was slow down the defender for a split second and Goff would have completed a throw to Reynolds to the left. Yes Goff was a tad slow but still....

All I know is - the turnover was returned for a TD.