St. Louis Rams Position Analysis: Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ramaro21 said:
Yeah...I think that the Rams have a lot more depth finally on the OLine than since forever. I agree Bark could be a major player or depth guy...I liked the pick up last year. He played pretty good for someone just tossed in because of injuries. This is what I wrote in another forum.

Ramaro2010 said:
I think the Rams have better depth this year even without Jones. Looks like there are a few from last year, so they should be up to speed already. I think writers are not familiar with the Rams depth chart much past the starters. Barksdale, Nsekhe, and one of Williams, Washington, or Watkins...whoever isn't the starter...all are good depth players if someone goes down...IMO of course.

We'll know better once camp starts. If they don't bring any others in but camp bodies, then that means Bou is good with what they have.

You & I have discussed OT Joe Barksdale before where you have a much higher opinion of JB and I seem to have a much lower opinion than you & most other ROD'ers.

JB was drafted as we know by the Raiders thru a trade with the NE Pats where they traded up to draft JB. The Raiders seemed to surprise everyone in the 2011 draft in the late third round. They gave up another 2nd day draft pick to get JB. It was said that the selection of JB so high (late 3rd rd) was a mild reach.The standard remark was JB "had three-plus years starting experience at LSU and a prototypical NFL body.Tons of talent, and very reminiscent of Langston Walker. He just needs to learn to play with fire every play." The fact was the Raiders only has one offensive tackle under contract. So JB came into the NFL & basically handed the starting ORT post. In the Raiders 2011 & 2012 TC's & pre-seasons JB was badly beat over & over again he never won a starting post never started for them but did have a few cameo appearances and remained healthy. Raiders released JB late September 2012 after the season began.The biggest knocks on Barksdale are his consistency, & most of that stems from a perceived lack of effort.

Boudreau has worked with JB since that time but still felt that this 3rd yr OT was not ready to start so thus we saw the Jake Long courting so to secure a ORT with Saffold in 2013 season. On the positive side for JB the Rams made no attempt to secure a future starting ORT in this yrs draft??? Meaning that JB is the top reserve @ both of the OT posts. Working with Jackie Slater (we should have cloned him when we drafted him back in 1976 as a right OG). Slater Hall of Fame great RIGHT OT so thus Slater would have much to teach a youngin on what it takes to play RIGHT OT & played ORT for 20 seasons!. Slater & JB were very close to being the same size.

Mentioned often Behind JB is 2012 Practice Squad cadre Left OT Ty Nsekhe who is now 27 yrs old saw the field in cameo appearances when Saffold & Hunter were both injured last season. When JB was awarded to the Rams on 9-27-12 TN was then was released. TN is strictly a Left OT project so he would not contend with JB @ ORT post as a future starter.

Other possible future Right OT prospects hopefuls would be UDFA's rookies Terrell Brown, Sean Hooey & Braden Brown. I really look at them as camp fodder. Lucky for Boudreau he has positioned himself to have two well seasoned vets who could play ORT in an emergency in both starting OG's Harvey Dahl & Chris Williams but neither are future Right OT candidates, so they would not contend with JB in camp.

IMO the real contending Ram OL'er who will give JB most of his competition in TC & pre season will come from last season drafted Rok Watkins if he is unable to dislodge Williams from the OLG post. In OTA's Watkins was getting a ton of action on the Right side. Its been mentioned here @ ROD with rookie OL'er Barrett Jones being considered as a future contending starting Right OT......I see him starting @ center & locking it down very soon either due to injury or the release of Wells in 2014. Why ??? Barrett is a serious future starting OC with star ability @ that post.

Bottom line here Boudreau & Fisher have invested much in JB being the bonified important third swing OT this season, evidenced by my above post reply. I am very uneasy with this determination presently.

fearsomefour

Legend
There has been an investment of time in Barksdale. As you and I have discussed before, mixed results last year. The guy certainly looks the part. But, as we all know, so did Jason Smith. Fisher and Co has done a great job in the short term finding talented players. The approach so far seems to be investing in FA lineman. It is yet to be proven whether or not they can draft and or develop lineman.
Best case scenario Barksdale doesnt see the field this year in regular O sets. If so, it will be the final test for him. I would think either way we are looking at another T being drafted next year, even if Saffold is resigned.
There is a lot unproven with the young depth on the Oline....I choose to see a lot of potentially exciting potential too. Really looking forward to seeing Barksdale, Rok, Washington and Barnes this preseason. Hopefully there is seperation somewhere and a guy or two has really stepped up.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The Rodger Saffold injury label pisses me off. He came back damnit played and improved at that. It's like its his fault he got hurt running after a fumble. That could happen to anybody.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Angry Ram said:
The Rodger Saffold injury label pisses me off. He came back damnit played and improved at that. It's like its his fault he got hurt running after a fumble. That could happen to anybody.
That grade 3 MCL sprain injury when he picked up that fumble was a real bad injury to recover from so fast! Credit Saffold who IMO can be the best OL'er we have had since Pace & Timmerman! Yes Saffold did come back & played the best football since he was drafted! That's why I strongly suggest Snead, Demoff & Fisher get a series of planned out options in order to keep Saffold from hitting free agency! However I consider Saffold being a Ram in 2014 as very doubtful.

Agree 100% Yes that injury could of happened to anybody & yes it was not anything Saffold did that was negative on that play but next time I suggest he just fall on the ball.

Now to address you being pissed off....what are the facts on his injury prone label for the last three seasons?

First rookie season
#1-June 2010- Knee sprain missed 3 wks of training camp
#2-Aug 2010- Back Injury missed 3 weeks of pre season
#3-Nov.14, 2010- Ankle Injury left game.
#4-Nov.21,2010-Shoulder injury left game.

Second Season
#5-Oct.2011-Ankle sprain left game.
#6-Nov.13,2011-Concussion left game.
#7-Nov.18,2011-Pectorial tears missed the rest of the yr missed 7 games IR'd.

Third Season
#8-Sept. 9,2012-Neck jammed left game placed in hospital.
#9-Sept.16,2012-Knee injury left game, out till week 10
#10-Saffold also left a game due to injury late last yr that I do not have listed.

If any player who has missed major parts of games & complete games like Saffold the last two season (back to back) where Saffold has only been able to finish 15 games out of 32 games deserve that label ?

Ramaro21

UDFA
You're a mystery dude. :cool:

BonifayRam said:
Ramaro21 said:
We'll know better once camp starts. If they don't bring any others in but camp bodies, then that means Bou is good with what they have.

You & I have discussed OT Joe Barksdale before...

Really? When and where? CRS=deadly disease with no cure and I have it. :rofl:

BonifayRam said:
JB was drafted as we know by the Raiders thru a trade with the NE Pats where they traded up to draft JB.

I remember that and yes most of us read up on him when the Rams grabbed him. I thought at the time he was given a raw deal with bad coaching and then replaced ala Pead-like. I don't think I would be too "full of effort" in Raider Land anyway. That's was probably the worst place to develop for any player. Do they even have any players you can think of that developed there...except for the corner who left ASAP. I just figured he needed a change of scenery.

BonifayRam said:
Boudreau has worked with JB since that time but still felt that this 3rd yr OT was not ready to start so thus we saw the Jake Long courting so to secure a ORT with Saffold in 2013 season.

I don't think that was the plan at all. I think Long was available and the Rams wanted him and more so after his interview with Bou.

BonifayRam said:
Its been mentioned here @ ROD with rookie OL'er Barrett Jones being considered as a future contending starting Right OT......I see him starting @ center & locking it down very soon either due to injury or the release of Wells in 2014. Why ??? Barrett is a serious future starting OC with star ability @ that post.

Hell yeah...that's why he was drafted. He should be a awesome center. He will be learning from Bou and Wells who is all-pro IMO. Not sure about him doing ROT though. I don't see it.

BonifayRam said:
If Long was to go down for a short period of time I could see Joe Barksdale filling in for him @ OLT.

^This is what you wrote on the last page which = part of the mystery.

BonifayRam said:
Bottom line here Boudreau & Fisher have invested much in JB being the bonified important third swing OT this season, evidenced by my above post reply. I am very uneasy with this determination presently.

This is the rest of the mystery. So even though you think Bark would replace Long if he get injured, you don't think it's a good idea?

It seems Bou disagrees, but I see you already know that.

Anyway, like I said and maybe not clear, I don't see Bark being the starter anywhere. Him and the others I listed are what I think are good-great depth. Bark could surprise us and end up starting, but I doubt it. One of the W's should start at LG and the other 2 will be good-great depth IMO. That's all I was saying in a nutshell.

I really don't see where we differ. You sure wrote a lot so I must be missing something. :mrgreen:

My bottom line:
1. We know nothing...until training camp and preseason.

2. I'm a Bou honk and whatever he thinks works best, I'm good with. I think he's the best coach Fisher hired...except maybe Wauffle (sp).

fearsomefour

Legend
BonifayRam said:
That grade 3 MCL sprain injury when he picked up that fumble was a real bad injury to recover from so fast! Credit Saffold who IMO can be the best OL'er we have had since Pace & Timmerman! Yes Saffold did come back & played the best football since he was drafted! That's why I strongly suggest Snead, Demoff & Fisher get a series of planned out options in order to keep Saffold from hitting free agency! However I consider Saffold being a Ram in 2014 as very doubtful.

I agree with this in total. Great credit to Roger for showing great toughness and determination last year. I think he can absolutely be a Pro Bowl quality lineman. Keeping him in the fold really needs to be priority number 1 after this season if he plays well. I do also think there is a slim chance of this happening as someone will shell out LT tackle money for him to play LT....as long as he has a good season.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
fearsomefour said:
BonifayRam said:

I agree with this in total. Great credit to Roger for showing great toughness and determination last year. I think he can absolutely be a Pro Bowl quality lineman. Keeping him in the fold really needs to be priority number 1 after this season if he plays well. I do also think there is a slim chance of this happening as someone will shell out LT tackle money for him to play LT....as long as he has a good season.
Hopefully, Rodger "buys in" to this team, and Mr. Demoff has the foresight to sign him before the season is over. He could be a special part of a special team in the future.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ramaro21 said:
You're a mystery dude. :cool: Is that good or bad?? I usually try to cover all things completely so to remove any mystery so I have Failed!
Ramaro21 said:
Really? When and where? CRS=deadly disease with no cure and I have it. :rofl: My bad ....It was our discussion on Quick ...I recalled your very good post to one of mine in a discussion on WR Quick! It was a great counter to mine!
BonifayRam said:
If Long was to go down for a short period of time I could see Joe Barksdale filling in for him @ OLT.
Ramaro21 said:
^This is what you wrote on the last page which = part of the mystery.Let me try to clear this up some..this was said in discussing Saffold remaining @ ORT instead of replacing Long if he was injured..the thinking was not to flip flop Saffold again if Long was just out for a few weeks it would be better to leave Saffold @ Right OT and not cause issues with Saffold ongoing development on that right side. JB filled in for two games last yr and the world did not come to an end but it was close (Pats & Packers games were not good) Anyway in truth JB is the best of all our backup OT's presently.
BonifayRam said:
Ramaro21 said:
This is the rest of the mystery. So even though you think Bark would replace Long if he get injured, you don't think it's a good idea?
IMO JB would be the best short term OT to play @ OLT in a short term period. I could find a better option could you? Does not mean that I like it but it is what it is.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
BonifayRam said:
Angry Ram said:

Agree 100% Yes that injury could of happened to anybody & yes it was not anything Saffold did that was negative on that play but next time I suggest he just fall on the ball.

Now to address you being pissed off....what are the facts on his injury prone label for the last three seasons?

First rookie season
#1-June 2010- Knee sprain missed 3 wks of training camp
#2-Aug 2010- Back Injury missed 3 weeks of pre season
#3-Nov.14, 2010- Ankle Injury left game.
#4-Nov.21,2010-Shoulder injury left game.

Second Season
#5-Oct.2011-Ankle sprain left game.
#6-Nov.13,2011-Concussion left game.
#7-Nov.18,2011-Pectorial tears missed the rest of the yr missed 7 games IR'd.

Third Season
#8-Sept. 9,2012-Neck jammed left game placed in hospital.
#9-Sept.16,2012-Knee injury left game, out till week 10
#10-Saffold also left a game due to injury late last yr that I do not have listed.

If any player who has missed major parts of games & complete games like Saffold the last two season (back to back) where Saffold has only been able to finish 15 games out of 32 games deserve that label ?

Came back after every single one of those except the pec.

Minor injuries, I don't even count the ones in July/August, and didn't miss a game as a rookie.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
PowayRamFan said:
The health of this line will determine our season, it's just that important. Could anyone on here even imagine what it would be like to have our 5 lineman start every game for two years? The hated niners have gotten lucky enough to have it happen and their record speaks for itself. No way in hell they do so good if they had to deal with the crap we've had to on the o-line. Boy they are overdue......

Totally agree with you. If our line dominates, the Rams will dominate.