St. Louis Rams have interest in Eagles' Mark Sanchez

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg

• Sam Bradford out for the season with another torn ACL, the natural question for the St. Louis Rams is: Who will take his spot?

Shaun Hill is a quality backup for Bradford and coach Jeff Fisher said Sunday that Hill is "our guy." He's certainly an upgrade from last year's backup Kellen Clemens, and he's been in the Rams' system since March. Then again, Hill is 34 years old and hasn't started an NFL game since 2010. He earned his reputation as a quality backup a long time ago, and his ability to excel over 16 games is a mystery.

One logical candidate for a trade is Philadelphia Eagles backupMark Sanchez, whom offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer worked with in New York.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the Rams have some interest in Sanchez, per a source informed of the situation. But the Eagles have been more than pleased with the former Jets quarterback this year and would have to be blown away to trade him. And the Rams chose to sign Hill over Sanchez in the offseason. The Rams will remain "open minded" according to Rapoport and see who calls.

The Rams are in a terrible spot. There is no magical quarterback solution out there that will save their season. (That's including Christian Ponder and anyone else you can come up with.) Is the "upgrade" from Shaun Hill to Mark Sanchez really worth giving up a halfway decent future draft pick? Is the difference between five and seven wins that big a deal in a brutal division?

Rams fans don't want to hear it, but the team is likely better off bottoming out and then finally drafting their next quarterback of the future near the top of the 2015 draft.

The "Around the League Podcast" Fantasy Football Extravaganza has landed. Tell your friends and lovers.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
WHAT no Brett Favre? I will believe it when I see it
I have no doubt if Shotty had wanted Sanchez we'd have him already

fearsomefour

Legend
Agreed.
No point to bring in Sanchez as anything but depth for this year. He has played well in Philly so they wont give him up for nothing. I am interested in the Rams scouring for a young depth guy to develop.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I was in the minority, but I wanted Sanchez as a backup this season. As it stands right now, I definitely would take Buttfumble as a backup.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I believe Fisher shot this down in his press conference. Unless this is new from this morning.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I believe Fisher shot this down in his press conference. Unless this is new from this morning.
There's always going to be "sources within the organization" who tell these media twits something new. I've learned to just tune this out until something happens, and that's largely in part to the whole Randy Moss and Terrell Owens to the Rams stories that were perpetuated by guys like Mortensen.

jap

Legend
There's always going to be "sources within the organization" who tell these media twits something new. I've learned to just tune this out until something happens, and that's largely in part to the whole Randy Moss and Terrell Owens to the Rams stories that were perpetuated by guys like Mortensen.

Yes, modern day journalism has been reduced to professional gossiping.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just in:

The Rams have interest any QB that they think is better than Sean Hill!

But that doesn't mean they are seriously going to pursue them all.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

True that. It's just sad that Shaun has had a solid pre-season, but hasn't made much noise, so he's getting overlooked in this whole scenario. Can't wait until people finally open their eyes to realize that we are going to be fine.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
  • _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg

• Sam Bradford out for the season with another torn ACL, the natural question for the St. Louis Rams is: Who will take his spot?

Shaun Hill is a quality backup for Bradford and coach Jeff Fisher said Sunday that Hill is "our guy." He's certainly an upgrade from last year's backup Kellen Clemens, and he's been in the Rams' system since March. Then again, Hill is 34 years old and hasn't started an NFL game since 2010. He earned his reputation as a quality backup a long time ago, and his ability to excel over 16 games is a mystery.

One logical candidate for a trade is Philadelphia Eagles backupMark Sanchez, whom offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer worked with in New York.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the Rams have some interest in Sanchez, per a source informed of the situation. But the Eagles have been more than pleased with the former Jets quarterback this year and would have to be blown away to trade him. And the Rams chose to sign Hill over Sanchez in the offseason. The Rams will remain "open minded" according to Rapoport and see who calls.

The Rams are in a terrible spot. There is no magical quarterback solution out there that will save their season. (That's including Christian Ponder and anyone else you can come up with.) Is the "upgrade" from Shaun Hill to Mark Sanchez really worth giving up a halfway decent future draft pick? Is the difference between five and seven wins that big a deal in a brutal division?

Rams fans don't want to hear it, but the team is likely better off bottoming out and then finally drafting their next quarterback of the future near the top of the 2015 draft.

The "Around the League Podcast" Fantasy Football Extravaganza has landed. Tell your friends and lovers.

Better be as a back up if they are.
No reason to bring him in - at all.

jap

Legend
True that. It's just sad that Shaun has had a solid pre-season, but hasn't made much noise, so he's getting overlooked in this whole scenario. Can't wait until people finally open their eyes to realize that we are going to be fine.

Back in August, 1999, they overlooked that guy called Warner too.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...s-sam-bradford-brian-schottenheimer/14538707/
Mark Sanchez doesn't want to be traded to Rams

It's only natural for Mark Sanchez's name to come up in connection with the St. Louis Rams in the wake of starting quarterback Sam Bradford's season-ending knee injury, given Sanchez's experience in coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's offense.
But if Sanchez has anything to say about it, there's "no chance" he'd abandon his fresh start as a backup under coach Chip Kelly with the Philadelphia Eagles for a shot to rejoin Schottenheimer and play in St. Louis, a person with knowledge of Sanchez's thinking told USA TODAY Sports on Sunday.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Back in August, 1999, they overlooked that guy called Warner too.

This is true, but that was different in that Warner was a bit more unknown than Hill. Maybe we should sign that dude from the winning Arena Bowl team. They scored like 70 points.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I would rather have Barkley. He is farther down there depth chart, younger and hopefully less compensation

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...s-sam-bradford-brian-schottenheimer/14538707/

It's only natural for Mark Sanchez's name to come up in connection with the St. Louis Rams in the wake of starting quarterback Sam Bradford's season-ending knee injury, given Sanchez's experience in coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's offense.
But if Sanchez has anything to say about it, there's "no chance" he'd abandon his fresh start as a backup under coach Chip Kelly with the Philadelphia Eagles for a shot to rejoin Schottenheimer and play in St. Louis, a person with knowledge of Sanchez's thinking told USA TODAY Sports on Sunday.

Well f&$^ him then!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

If true, GOOD.
We don't want you Mark!!!
By the way, I don't buy that the Rams are even interested.
Why would they be interested in a dude they passed on in the off season for free?
Why would they be interested in a dude with worse career stats than Hill?