St. Louis Rams, An Underdog Story

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
http://truluvsports.com/nfl/st-louis-rams/st-louis-rams-true-underdog-story/

The St. Louis Rams are what I like to refer to as the “little brother” in the NFL. Meaning not a lot of people see them as a serious threat and haven’t for years, rightfully so. When the Rams win a game they get more of a “Hey, good job buddy.” than a “oh no, look out for the Rams!”. A decade long playoff drought doesn’t exactly scream to the league to look out, but this season should be a different story as the Rams are prepared to take on a season being the eternal underdogs.

The Rams were finally able to send someone not named Steven Jackson to the Pro Bowl in the 2013 season as Punter Johnny Hekker and Defensive End Robert Quinn made the roster. The last time the Rams had someone in the Pro Bowl aside from Jackson was the 2007 season when Wide Receiver Torry Holt made the NFC team. Quarterback Sam Bradford was in the beginning of what was sure to be a Pro Bowl year as he was leading the NFC in touchdown passes before being lost for the season with a torn ACL.

So why is no one considering the Rams a threat in the NFL yet? It’s hard to say with how the roster and coaching staff look as of right now. One thing is certain, Rams fans have the confidence that this year could be a major turning point for a team that has been better known for making high draft picks than playoff runs. The horn on the side of the helmet is gaining a certain level of respect as it reflects the aggression and passion that the players who wear it have instead of being seen as the “swirling vortex of suckitude” as it once was.

The coaching staff alone should have other teams at least giving the Rams a second look. Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams time and time again produces top-tier defenses and specializes in sacks and turnovers. Isn’t that what defense is all about? Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has been criticized for his inability to be creative. I hear a lot of fans complaining about Coach Shotty, but is it warranted? This is a guy who had the New York Jets and Mark Sanchez playing in the AFC Championship game two seasons in a row. Schottenheimer was asked to interview multiple times for head coaching vacancies throughout the league. So he must be doing something right. Head Coach Jeff Fisher is one of the most motivational coaches in our current era. The players love him, the fans love him, the front office loves him, so why is he getting overlooked? a couple of losing seasons in a team he has been rebuilding should be no reason to be forgotten. The coach that is probably most overlooked is Defensive Line Coach Mike Waufle. Coach Waufle has taken his players from good to great. Defensive End Robert Quinn has been very adamant that much of his recent success stems from Coach Waufle.

The Rams roster is probably the most overlooked in the entire NFL. Quarterback Sam Bradford, while it hasn’t been consistent enough for most fans, has shown he can be the leader of the offense. Mike Mayock was very open about his opinions on Tavon Austin saying that he is, “The most explosive player I’ve ever seen.” Janoris Jenkins came out of the 2012 NFL Draft seen by Mayock as “Easily the best corner in this Draft” but fell to the Rams in the second round. Jenkins lead all defensive players in his rookie season by posting 4 defensive touchdowns. Chris Long and Robert Quinn are established pass rushers in this league and have to be accounted for on any given play. James Laurinaitis is the clear leader of the defense and has lead the team in tackles every year since coming into the league save for the 2013 season when rookie Alec Ogletree over took the title by having one more tackle that Laurinaitis. For years the Rams had one of the worst offensive lines in the game but that has quickly changed under the Fisher era. Jake Long is a Pro Bowl caliber Left Tackle, Greg Robinson is a big athletic rookie in prime position to make a huge impact, Scott Wells has seen Pro Bowls, Roger Saffold has versatility to play anywhere on the line and Joe Barksdale really began to come into his own as the season progressed.

It’s no wonder why Rams fans have so much optimism. What is a wonder is why the rest of the league is still viewing the Rams as the “little brother” of the league. Respect is definitely earned on the field, but is it really the only way? The Denver Broncos had instant respect just from the signing of Peyton Manning. Denver lacked playmakers at running back and in the defense. Something the Rams are not lacking. I guess Rams fans will have to wait until some games are played, but the rest of the league should be warned, a flood of “I told you so’s” are coming. NFL Analyst Michael Silver has pegged the Rams as the most-likely threat to dethrone the Seattle Seahawks in the NFC West. The Rams are out for blood this season, and are definitely one of the most interesting teams coming into the year.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Wow, this guy knows our team. You can't say that very often for pundits.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Great column, got me pumped! Wasn't familiar with this website before reading this article but noticed a number of other articles about the Rams listed on the site as well. Thanks for passing this on Redding!

paceram

Pro Bowler
Spot on - the Rams will take no prisoners this year. Fast and aggressive D combined with a smash mouth running game.

+1 Totally agree! I also think the Rams passing game will greatly improve with a healthy Sam Bradford and the addition of Kenny Britt (And, a much improved Offensive Line as well!)!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Our roster certainly feels like one that can go deep into the playoffs.

We need some good fortune early to build confidence... Then... Katy, bar the door!

FRO

Legend
The Rams playoff hopes hinge on a few things:

1- Bradford's health. Like the author said had Bradford not got hurt he would have been a pro-bowl candidate and would have probably got a fat new contract. We need this guy.

2- Offensive Line health. Can Jake Long play to his 2013 form and can big Roger and the rest of the guys stay healthy.

3- Secondary stepping up their game. Jenkins has great talent. Johnson showed flashes. I like what I saw out of McDonald last year. Then you have the kids who we need to come in as rookies and play good football.

4- WRs stepping up. We need this group to establish themselves and step up there game. There are a ton of breakout candidates in this group. We need one or two of them to do so.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The "swirling vortex of suckitude" comment makes me want to punch this guy in the adam's apple. :mad:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams playoff hopes hinge on a few things:

1- Bradford's health. Like the author said had Bradford not got hurt he would have been a pro-bowl candidate and would have probably got a fat new contract. We need this guy.

2- Offensive Line health. Can Jake Long play to his 2013 form and can big Roger and the rest of the guys stay healthy.

3- Secondary stepping up their game. Jenkins has great talent. Johnson showed flashes. I like what I saw out of McDonald last year. Then you have the kids who we need to come in as rookies and play good football.

4- WRs stepping up. We need this group to establish themselves and step up there game. There are a ton of breakout candidates in this group. We need one or two of them to do so.

That's a pretty good list right there.

I'd add a fifth, young players stepping up. But when I say that, it's generally associated with 3 and 4 of your list.