SSI - RRB Benefits ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm currently 6 months shy of turning 70 and could have officially applied for retirement at age 66, although I've been putting it off because I really didn't need it, I'm lazy, and by waiting I can boost the income payments, so today I finally did the deed. I also don't want to suffer some kind of catastrophic illness/injury without Medicare, that can bankrupt you quite quickly. When I was younger I worked for Amtrak for just over 10 years, and that eliminated dealing with Social Security while placing me in the hands of the Railroad Retirement Board which combines all earnings from both the RR and any other employment which paid into S.S., no matter how many years. It's fine though because Railroad Retirement pays more than S.S.
These benefits are fairly complicated when having to choose between an 'Advantage' or 'Supplemental' Medicare Plan, and I have to work myself thru this minefield within the next 90 days before I'm due to receive my first monthly payment. A basic 'Advantage' Policy doesn't really add a significant additional cost to what you're required to pay Medicare, 'Supplemental' adds another $160. per month on top of Medicare and fully covers the 20% of costs that isn't included with the 80% of medical costs which 'Advantage' covers with an HMO. Supplemental also costs an additional $20.+ per month that pays fully for any necessary prescriptions.
While I'm aging and feeling myself deteriorating in some respects strength wise, I'm not on any prescriptions, nor have I even seen a doctor in the last 15+ years. I do have back problems which go back to being hit twice by drunk drivers in my 20's, but other than that I've been reasonably healthy. I plan to file for the DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) paperwork the next time I do see a doctor though as I have no interest in prolonging life if handicapped or seriously disabled in the future.
So here's my question for my fellow old-timers out there, has Medicare 'Advantage' worked well for you or do you wish you had paid the additional costs and gone with a 'Supplemental' Policy ? The insurance agents I've spoken with have said that trying to move from 'Advantage' to 'Supplemental' at a later date may prove very difficult or impossible, so has anyone elected to try that, ... and what was the outcome ?
What kind of experiences have you had in relation to health care costs while trying to keep yourself covered ?

River

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I'm currently 6 months shy of turning 70 and could have officially applied for retirement at age 66, although I've been putting it off because I really didn't need it, I'm lazy, and by waiting I can boost the income payments, so today I finally did the deed. I also don't want to suffer some kind of catastrophic illness/injury without Medicare, that can bankrupt you quite quickly. When I was younger I worked for Amtrak for just over 10 years, and that eliminated dealing with Social Security while placing me in the hands of the Railroad Retirement Board which combines all earnings from both the RR and any other employment which paid into S.S., no matter how many years. It's fine though because Railroad Retirement pays more than S.S.
These benefits are fairly complicated when having to choose between an 'Advantage' or 'Supplemental' Medicare Plan, and I have to work myself thru this minefield within the next 90 days before I'm due to receive my first monthly payment. A basic 'Advantage' Policy doesn't really add a significant additional cost to what you're required to pay Medicare, 'Supplemental' adds another $160. per month on top of Medicare and fully covers the 20% of costs that isn't included with the 80% of medical costs which 'Advantage' covers with an HMO. Supplemental also costs an additional $20.+ per month that pays fully for any necessary prescriptions.
While I'm aging and feeling myself deteriorating in some respects strength wise, I'm not on any prescriptions, nor have I even seen a doctor in the last 15+ years. I do have back problems which go back to being hit twice by drunk drivers in my 20's, but other than that I've been reasonably healthy. I plan to file for the DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) paperwork the next time I do see a doctor though as I have no interest in prolonging life if handicapped or seriously disabled in the future.
So here's my question for my fellow old-timers out there, has Medicare 'Advantage' worked well for you or do you wish you had paid the additional costs and gone with a 'Supplemental' Policy ? The insurance agents I've spoken with have said that trying to move from 'Advantage' to 'Supplemental' at a later date may prove very difficult or impossible, so has anyone elected to try that, ... and what was the outcome ?
What kind of experiences have you had in relation to health care costs while trying to keep yourself covered ?

River
Well, you’re obviously not short of breath- so looking good.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Well, you’re obviously not short of breath- so looking good.
Just fucking with you.
I went to SS at 68 - Mari a lot sooner.
I’m still working so I gotta’ watch what declare W-2 wise.
Anyway, gonna’ check some stuff tomorrow as I think I’ve done it both ways - and end result wasn’t much different.

Cheers.

(You really need to check with @RamFan503 - he’s been on it much longer than me).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just fucking with you.
I went to SS at 68 - Mari a lot sooner.
I’m still working so I gotta’ watch what declare W-2 wise.
Anyway, gonna’ check some stuff tomorrow as I think I’ve done it both ways - and end result wasn’t much different.

Cheers.

(You really need to check with @RamFan503 - he’s been on it much longer than me).

View: https://youtu.be/ogKqQc4q6y0

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
@Riverumbbq - basic medicare advantage works fine.
Found out (for us anyway), supplemental wasn't really worth it.
Don't know where you live, but we have UHC - AARP Medicare Advantage here in Nevada.

Cheers.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Riverumbbq - basic medicare advantage works fine.
Found out (for us anyway), supplemental wasn't really worth it.
Don't know where you live, but we have UHC - AARP Medicare Advantage here in Nevada.

Cheers.

I'm in Los Angeles, so there are several Advantage & Supplemental Plans offered, the policy being highly recommended for me currently is Advantage with Anthem Blue Cross, and the coverage looks pretty sound based on my prevailing health.
Appreciate your reply, it does appear a Supplemental Plan might be excessive for my needs at this point. Thanks.

River

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m almost 50 so I listening intently. My time is coming.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I’m almost 50 so I listening intently. My time is coming.
Dude - no offense, but shut the fuck up.
50’s are (will be) the greatest decade of your life.

60’s are cool as well.

70’s- not so much. :not: