SpaceX sticks the landing.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
How in the heck does that do that?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I got a serious engineering woodie watching that! The physics alone is crazy fun to contemplate!!!

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How in the heck does that do that?

Elon Musk.

It seemed like 90% of the rocket world was telling him it couldn't be done. He is going to take over the satellite delivery and ISS delivery world I think.

The Falcon Heavy is due to launch this year last I looked, will be the most powerful rocket ever launched, and it's a Mars capable system. The three Falcon boosters will be reusable driving the costs of space down by several magnitudes.

http://www.spacex.com/falcon-heavy

Wait until you see his self driving electric cars in a few years.

He just pre-sold 276,000 Tesla 3 model cars. Driver assist and will come to pick you up when you call it.

In September, he's announcing his plans to build a city on Mars.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It's actually their second landing but the first on an autonomous barge.

Complete game changer.
That's what is even more facinating.
That thing landed in about 30 ft off center, on a moving target. Incredible

RamzFanz

Damnit
That's what is even more fascinating.
That thing landed in about 30 ft off center, on a moving target. Incredible

Incredible. Perfect description.

Russia, US, India, China, Japan... there's no massively funded space program in the world even trying to do this. Musk is a freaking visionary. In 10 years, he'll be in the history books as one of the greats. The Tesla is the Model T of electric cars and he did it against the tide. SpaceX is doing what experts said was next to impossible. Google may have the best self driving cars in the world, but Musk is on the road already with driver assist and nearing self-driving.

He's Steve Jobs on steroids and he has no boundaries. This is the way I see it, I will do it this way, and you will like it even if you think I can't or that you won't.

What's so cool is we can look back now days and see what people were thinking and doing in their own words and never have to trust history books again.

This is 3 years ago. Does what he says and says what he'll do - and gives zero fucks. Founder of PayPal too.

So, by the way, billionaires don't have to screw the people who support them. They can also be the best of people and not just build WalMarts.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Russia, US, India, China, Japan... there's no massively funded space program in the world even trying to do this. Musk is a freaking visionary. In 10 years, he'll be in the history books as one of the greats. The Tesla is the Model T of electric cars and he did it against the tide. SpaceX is doing what experts said was next to impossible. Google may have the best self driving cars in the world, but Musk is on the road already with driver assist and nearing self-driving.

He's Steve Jobs on steroids and he has no boundaries. This is the way I see it, I will do it this way, and you will like it even if you think I can't or that you won't.

What's so cool is we can look back now days and see what people were thinking and doing in their own words and never have to trust history books again.

This is 3 years ago. Does what he says and says what he'll do - and gives zero fucks. Founder of PayPal too.

So, by the way, billionaires don't have to screw the people who support them. They can also be the best of people and not just build WalMarts.

A true Maverick.
This was really exciting and I had no idea it was even possible.

A guy like this could be dangerous in the wrong hands.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Exciting times... I can't wait until we lasso an asteroid and start mining it.

This is exactly the type of thing SpaceX is making feasible. The doors to space were just flung wide open.

The US needs to stop paying Lockheed Martin and Boeing billions for launch vehicles. This is the bane of innovation. We also need to stop dealing with Russia. They are not our allies.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I agree, he is a visionary and in time he is going to be revered ala Einstein. Albert, not Norman.

The saying "all change comes from the unreasonable man" fits him perfectly.

I'd like to see several nations fund his visions and ideas and stay out of the way and let him work.

bluecoconuts

Legend
This is exactly the type of thing SpaceX is making feasible. The doors to space were just flung wide open.

The US needs to stop paying Lockheed Martin and Boeing billions for launch vehicles. This is the bane of innovation. We also need to stop dealing with Russia. They are not our allies.

Agreed, I really like what they're doing in the absence of government funding for NASA (which is stupid, we should fund it more)... I don't agree with all of his ideas (detonating nukes over Mars to terraform it) but I like that he looks to solve problems rather than just the next thing to make money.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree, he is a visionary and in time he is going to be revered ala Einstein. Albert, not Norman.

The saying "all change comes from the unreasonable man" fits him perfectly.

I'd like to see several nations fund his visions and ideas and stay out of the way and let him work.

You know, I see him more as a visionary like Jobs than a theoretical physics guy like Einstein. In college he rented a 10 bedroom house and turned it into a speakeasy, so he's my hero right there.

I can't imagine being so certain, you take $180,000,000 and almost go bankrupt proving it. Balls. Humongous balls.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Agreed, I really like what they're doing in the absence of government funding for NASA (which is stupid, we should fund it more)... I don't agree with all of his ideas (detonating nukes over Mars to terraform it) but I like that he looks to solve problems rather than just the next thing to make money.

A lot of people worry about NASA but I don't. They do the hard and unprofitable stuff. Right now, they just don't need the money because they aren't doing LEO with the shuttle anymore. They are getting what they need for the mars mission as it unfolds, pay as you go kinda thing, and still have a large number of other missions.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You know, I see him more as a visionary like Jobs than a theoretical physics guy like Einstein. In college he rented a 10 bedroom house and turned it into a speakeasy, so he's my hero right there.

I can't imagine being so certain, you take $180,000,000 and almost go bankrupt proving it. Balls. Humongous balls.

I think he is both because he has vision like Jobs, but moreso. IMO Jobs rep especially later in his Apple carer was overinflated. But he also has the education and knowledge to help apply the type of thinking important to making something work.

He's really and truly that once in a lifetime type of guy.

bluecoconuts

Legend
A lot of people worry about NASA but I don't. They do the hard and unprofitable stuff. Right now, they just don't need the money because they aren't doing LEO with the shuttle anymore. They are getting what they need for the mars mission as it unfolds, pay as you go kinda thing, and still have a large number of other missions.

With more funding and support there are other things we could be doing as well, if the type of enthusiasm remained after the moon we would probably be visiting Io or Europa. If you want to find life outside of Earth, that's where you begin your search... Europa, not Io

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think he is both because he has vision like Jobs, but moreso. IMO Jobs rep especially later in his Apple carer was overinflated. But he also has the education and knowledge to help apply the type of thinking important to making something work.

He's really and truly that once in a lifetime type of guy.
I just wish he could raise the funds to take SpaceX to the finish line. I fear his failing SolarCity and cash draining Tesla will pull the rug out from under SpaceX. I don't know how much longer the billions will be coming in from the US Government. It's up to $4.9 Billion and SolarCity and Tesla have lost 63% and 40% respectively in value. SpaceX is accomplishing some fantastic feats. I'd hate to see those dreams dashed by the other dreams.