SpaceX Launch of Falcon Heavy Set for Today (maybe?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
If there is anyone on the planet that doesn't think that humans are harming it I'd like to hear that side of the story. Destroying it is a fine place to start........just go ahead.

So, you start....... (LOLOL)
So many climate scientists (that don’t have federal funds riding on it) think that AGW is boloney. Not that consensus matters. It’s the science that matters. 18 years in a row of no warming. (As long as the measurement numbers aren’t cooked like the boys from East Angelia.)

Technology has allowed for us to keep our environment pretty darn clean, Les. Most Capitalist societies are doing pretty well. It is the Chicoms and other controlled societies that do need to implement better air and water standards.

It’s not that there are no issues on earth, but it is far from being destroyed. By the way, we could use a little more CO2. We were at dangerously low levels for years. The plants and trees eat that stuff up like candy. And all the climate models that predicted gloom and doom 20 and 30 years ago have turned out to be way off.

Carbon trading is another evidence that it is all crap, and about making some rich, and controlling the population. It’s BS. And it does nothing to reduce carbon dioxide output. Just shifts it to punish the poor and allow the special people to pollute more.

And the notion Musk has of colonizing that sh*thole Mars is embarrassing. No evidence that it is possible. The conditions are not even close for any human livability.

Just a few things. In a nutshell Les.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Redneck LOL

"Aren't no"

Hahah love ya......
Good God man! If you're going to make fun of my people, the Red Necks, at least don't use a double negative when you do it (and use a complete sentence).

"There aren't any..."

I thought Florida had good schools? Are you secretly from South Dakota or something?

*This post intentionally avoids discussions of the environment because I don't have enough information to argue.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Good God man! If you're going to make fun of my people, the Red Necks, at least don't use a double negative when you do it (and use a complete sentence).

"There aren't any..."

I thought Florida had good schools? Are you secretly from South Dakota or something?

*This post intentionally avoids discussions of the environment because I don't have enough information to argue.

I was quoting you Ima..........

I speak redneck, I've lived in Florida for about 8 years, so I'm pretty fluent HAHAHA.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I was quoting you Ima..........

I speak redneck, I've lived in Florida for about 8 years, so I'm pretty fluent HAHAHA.
You weren't quoting me. I ain't never speakin' in no double negativity.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Just curious where you get your information from is all.
Thanks for asking Blue. And before I answer, I want to recognize that I know you work in the general field, but with a bit different focus. I'm sure you run into data, and have conversations that I would love to hear about, if you care to share.

I am just a student of science. I have always been fascinated with the beauty of the Earth. It's many oceans, desert, and fertile ground, forests and coastal areas. I was blessed enough to travel to both Antarctica, with its vast ice sheets, and the Arctic Sea, with its shallow waters and ice floes. I've spoken to Scientists on board my ship, as they study the ice, and the animals. The penguins are the best, as you might guess.

Later, when I got out of the military, and college, I worked in Silicon Valley, selling robotics and pneumatic components for Photovoltaic, and the Semiconductor companies. Many times I was clueless as to what they were doing, I do admit. But I always followed the science, and trends. And asked questions.

I read all kinds of things. And try not to be biased. But we are all human. As a Christian, I also have a different world view than those that think everything exploded from nothing into order. Which actually defies science. I believe God created the universe. That colors my thinking.

As far as your question about where I get my information. I call on my previous experience, and education. I read science reports, and news. Watch debates occasionally. Although debates usually only solidify the position you held before you started.

I read a report in Forbes, May 26th, 2013, Peter Ferrara, that discussed the Climate, mans role, and the trends. Some interesting facts:
  • The average global temperatures, at that time, had stopped rising for 16, now, I believe 20 straight years. Some have called this "the pause".
  • His sources attributed this to the combination of the natural 20-30 year Pacific and Atlantic Decadal Oscillation, (Oceans cooler waters on the bottom of the ocean rising, then warming slowly over time, and the cycle repeats)and a weak 11 year sun spot cycle, as we were still trending out of the Little Ice Age.
  • The years 1945-1970 showed a cooling trend, although we were booming Industrially, coming out of WWII, putting tons more CO2 into the air. No apparent correlation there.
  • Since 1997 (The year of the Kyoto Protocol, ironically) there has been no warming. Yet we are kicking more CO2 into the air.
By the way, a couple things about CO2:
  1. It is a naturally occurring substance in out atmosphere. It is what we exhale.
  2. It is also what plants and trees "eat". Plant food! Sorry, I know that is obvious to most, but morons like Bill Mahr talk about it as though it is carbon, soot. Two different things.
  3. Carbon Dioxide is but a trace element in our atmosphere, represented by the brown toothpick in the pie chart below. (Isn't he cute!!)

FIG01_010.JPG

4. Carbon Dioxide, though it is a large emission from man, is still just 3.6% of all greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere. Water vapor is by far the biggest contributor. (Not something we can tax, unfortunately.)

greenhouse-gas-chart_med.jpg

But human emissions comprise only 4-5% of all global emissions, with Volcanic activity, and the Oceans emitting the bulk of CO2. Hey. Humans. We are not all that.

Other reasons I am confident we are not Destroying the Planet!!!
  • We are currently around 400 ppm, up from around 250-270 years ago. What is the optimum level of CO2? (Hint: Greenhouse operators crank the CO2 levels over 1000 so their plants will grow best.) I think we are probably closer to optimal for humans to live at the higher numbers. Whew, glad I bought that SUV. We were dangerously low in CO2!

Caddyshack-Quotes-Heavy-Stuff-300x300.jpg

"I don't think the heavy stuff is gonna come down for a while."

• CO2 does not have a high temperature sensitivity. In other words, at a certain point of saturation in the atmosphere, CO2 impact declines logarithmically.
  • Statistics, and Myths: 97% of all scientists agree! Agree, what? There have been a few surveys circulated among scientists the past few years. The most famous one cited was John Cook, who took around 13,000 papers, and it turns out 41 papers actually claimed that man was primarily causing the earth to warm, and that it was dangerous. That is actually .3 percent.
  • The hockey stick. Michael Mann famously projected temperatures with his Hockey Stick graph. Turns out, it was cooked numbers as well. Incidentally, when asked to "show his work" Mann said his dog chewed it up. Not great scientific principals.
  • Other great scientific scammers include the boys from East Anglia. Now their emails were "hacked" which is not very nice, certainly, but nonetheless they were exposed having conversations about how to modify the data to cover the fact that the earth wasn't warming like they predicted. Those who have nothing to hide- hide nothing.
  • And then there are graphs like the one below, that try to show scary climbs in temps, but upon examination show natural ups and downs, and temperature rises that don't correlate to CO2, and declines when CO2 is rising.

Fig1-2008gmt.gif

Many great scientists do not believe in this new religion, and see the insidious nature of it. 31,000 scientists signed the below petition. (I know, people try to downplay it- "there were only x amount climate scientists," etc.) But, there is far from a consensus.

GW_Petition_Only_90dpi.png

Finally, this is a good discussion. Alex Epstein is an interesting guy, and so is Stefan Molyneux. (Both are actually Atheists) But I agree with most of their libertarian philosophies. Let me know what you think.

View: https://youtu.be/82W41de4TT4?list=PLMNj_r5bccUzUZnC7tAtjh_G0Sr3wgEpi

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In space? What elements?
There's particles and stuff that will change how it looks, bleach it, cover it with dust, etc, but they won't destroy it.
Here's the article I was referring to:
https://www.indy100.com/article/elo...ation-destroyed-one-year-mars-starman-8204466
I mis-spoke in that this scientist believes it would be the radiation.

He's the the main and major person on the planet that is trying to manage the environmental issues while figuring out sustainable fuel/energy.
At least for me, I applaud his efforts. We can and should be doing as much as we can to protect our planet.

But the funding and his well-intentioned motivations are not mutually exclusive.
I get it that you don't like the funding he gets.
How he gets his funding and - MORE IMPORTANTLY - how it affects actual people's money is extremely important.
It could very easily be that, by the time his ideas come to fruition to the point of making even the smallest dent in the environment, millions of people may have lost their life savings because his plan for an electric car failed.

I truly believe that is a very distinct possibility, given the financial condition of Tesla (motors) and the challenges that lie ahead that could have a catastrophic effect on the shareholders.

So if we can drag that baby back into our atmosphere it WILL retain some resale value? I mean, That motor should be more pristine than the little old lady from Pasadena’s car.
:ROFLMAO:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Here's the article I was referring to:
https://www.indy100.com/article/elo...ation-destroyed-one-year-mars-starman-8204466
I mis-spoke in that this scientist believes it would be the radiation.

Ah, yeah, that's a little different, and true. The car will still be there though, so it won't be destroyed.

Thanks for asking Blue. And before I answer, I want to recognize that I know you work in the general field, but with a bit different focus. I'm sure you run into data, and have conversations that I would love to hear about, if you care to share.

I am just a student of science. I have always been fascinated with the beauty of the Earth. It's many oceans, desert, and fertile ground, forests and coastal areas. I was blessed enough to travel to both Antarctica, with its vast ice sheets, and the Arctic Sea, with its shallow waters and ice floes. I've spoken to Scientists on board my ship, as they study the ice, and the animals. The penguins are the best, as you might guess.

Later, when I got out of the military, and college, I worked in Silicon Valley, selling robotics and pneumatic components for Photovoltaic, and the Semiconductor companies. Many times I was clueless as to what they were doing, I do admit. But I always followed the science, and trends. And asked questions.

I read all kinds of things. And try not to be biased. But we are all human. As a Christian, I also have a different world view than those that think everything exploded from nothing into order. Which actually defies science. I believe God created the universe. That colors my thinking.

As far as your question about where I get my information. I call on my previous experience, and education. I read science reports, and news. Watch debates occasionally. Although debates usually only solidify the position you held before you started.

Thanks for the background. As you know, I have my PhD in Astrophysics, and my focus has been primarily split between doing some Astrobiology work with trying to find habitable planets in our Galaxy, as well as trying to find proof of life outside of our planet and solar system, an Astroparticle Physics and trying to figure out the mystery that is Dark Matter. Exciting times, and when it comes to working alongside Astrobiologists, I do spend quite a bit of time working with climate data. Astrobiologists are somewhat experts at what the ideal climate is for life to pop up, and how the changing of the climate will impact what life can grow there.

Life is pretty amazing if you think about it. It can develop and grow in more places than we may think There's life that can survive the vacuum of space, and life that can grow from cold volcanic rock creating new islands, and new species. Life dumps a bunch of iguanas on an island and they adapt to learn how to swim in the ocean for food, pretty cool stuff in my opinion.

But one of the most interesting effects on what life is life can be how the atmosphere is made up. I'll touch on that a little later though.

I read a report in Forbes, May 26th, 2013, Peter Ferrara, that discussed the Climate, mans role, and the trends. Some interesting facts:
  • The average global temperatures, at that time, had stopped rising for 16, now, I believe 20 straight years. Some have called this "the pause".
  • His sources attributed this to the combination of the natural 20-30 year Pacific and Atlantic Decadal Oscillation, (Oceans cooler waters on the bottom of the ocean rising, then warming slowly over time, and the cycle repeats)and a weak 11 year sun spot cycle, as we were still trending out of the Little Ice Age.
  • The years 1945-1970 showed a cooling trend, although we were booming Industrially, coming out of WWII, putting tons more CO2 into the air. No apparent correlation there.
  • Since 1997 (The year of the Kyoto Protocol, ironically) there has been no warming. Yet we are kicking more CO2 into the air.

So quick note. Peter Ferrara is a lawyer and a political commentator, not a scientist. He has no formal education on anything science, getting a 4 year degree in Economics and then going to Harvard for his Law Degree. Smart guy, I'm sure, but not a scientist. In fact, he's somewhat known as a climate change denier. The problem here is that you're:
  1. Not getting information from the source
  2. Not getting information from a source that at least understands the source material
  3. Getting information from someone who's extremely biased.
Now, where my worry comes is that you're dismissing all evidence to the contrary saying that sources are biased and scientists are cooking data, etc. but accepting information from people who aren't experts and are even more biased, but so in your favor.

Because when you listen to people who aren't experts, they'll tell you things that aren't true, such as the temperature hasn't been rising for almost 20 years.

17 of the 18 hottest years on record have come since 2000. Number 18 is in 1988, so it's not that far away. That is going back 136 years, and you can look at the graphs and data yourself, NASA puts it on their website.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

You can also find things, such as carbon dioxide, levels, which I will also get to later on.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/carbon-dioxide/

That data is real, I've worked with it, I've assisted with collecting it, I know that data is handled correctly and is real. I hope you can trust me there, because it is, even though I know it doesn't fit with your schicms at this point.

Things such as sunspot cycles and the oceans can and do have an affect on our climate, mostly surrounding rainfall and sea surface temperature (SST), however, they don't account for all the changes, they only account for a small bit. And now, with rising CO2 levels, their effect can decrease as they are competing against something much stronger. Climate is a pretty complex thing, and a lot of things can affect what it does, and how it impacts the rest of us. When you throw things out of balance, like we are, that's where things can get out of control as they are threatening to do so now. I implore you to try to look at the entire picture and not toss out the puzzle pieces you don't want to use.

For example, our planet may have natural warming and cooling phases, this is something that has happened to our planet since it was born, but that shouldn't be used to dismiss things.

Between 1940 and 1947 there was a rise in temperatures with a peak in 1945. While the temperatures did cool some afterwards, they didn't return anywhere near what they were before the rise in 1940. Not to mention that the South had some rising temperatures at this time.

By 1980 the temperatures began rising and they really haven't stopped since. There are parts of the country that have had an 8 degree swing in temperature since 1884, and that is a very bad thing.

We most certainly have had more warming since 1997. Again, 17 of the 18 hottest years on record since 2000, and since 1997, the 18 hottest years on record have happened. Those are facts that can be measured.

• It is a naturally occurring substance in out atmosphere. It is what we exhale.
  • It is also what plants and trees "eat". Plant food! Sorry, I know that is obvious to most, but morons like Bill Mahr talk about it as though it is carbon, soot. Two different things.
  • Carbon Dioxide is but a trace element in our atmosphere, represented by the brown toothpick in the pie chart below. (Isn't he cute!!)

Yes, but there are a lot of other naturally occurring things that aren't good, especially in excess.

Oxygen for example, we need that to breath correct? Pretty good thing. What happens if there's too much oxygen in the atmosphere? Well it becomes flammable, so that's pretty fucking bad unless you like breathing fire air. All life on earth dies.

But before that even happens, if we had roughly 50% more oxygen (about 30% of our atmosphere) well life on earth would have some pretty serious changes. For one, humans wouldn't be all that comfortable with the levels, as our bodies aren't optimized for it. Additionally, we'd have giant cockroaches and dragonflies that are the size of cars/busses and birds living with us. It wouldn't be fun times on planet Earth, not for humans.

Just a simple change in the atmosphere is all it takes really. CO2 may not be as abundant, but that doesn't mean we can just throw the balance out of whack and pump it into the air like nothing is wrong.

Think of it like the fundamental forces of nature. You have electromagnetic, the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, and gravity.

So say we make a baseline of the Strong nuclear force as 1. That's the strongest anyway. So then we have electromagnetic which is 10^-3, and the weak force which is 10^-16. Both quite a bit weaker than the Strong force.

But what about gravity, the thing that holds us all to this big blue ball? The thing that keeps this big blue ball around our sun. That's gotta be pretty strong to, right?

Except that it's not, it's 10^-41... That's some seriously weak sauce man. If you were to imagine the other three fundamental forces as three dogs fighting over a bone, Gravity would be a tick who's just sitting on the bone because he's too much of a weak bitch to actually have any control.

Now could we just "pump" gravity up (if it were possible of course) because it's so much less? Not at all, it would throw off the entire balance. Not to mention the balance between the 3rd and 4th dimension, it'd be catastrophic.

Which pumping CO2 into the atmosphere and throwing off that balance is as well. Just because something happens slowly, doesn't mean it's not catastrophic.

4. Carbon Dioxide, though it is a large emission from man, is still just 3.6% of all greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere. Water vapor is by far the biggest contributor. (Not something we can tax, unfortunately.)

That is something that many don't actually know, that water vapor is a major player, because it helps trap the heat. The problem is that the heat doesn't originate from the water vapor, it originates from things like the CO2. The CO2 caused the heat, which created more water vapor, which then creates more heat, and it's a rather vicious circle that feeds on each other. This is something that scientists have known for a long time though, and recent experiments confirmed their hypothesis, that the water vapor adds to the problem. This has, and continues to be factored into their data collection, and it's something that has been known to climate scientists from the start. It's "unknownness" is more from the general public. Water vapor isn't the source of the problem though, and it goes away with reduced temperatures and reduced CO2 emissions (which are known to raise temperatures)

But human emissions comprise only 4-5% of all global emissions, with Volcanic activity, and the Oceans emitting the bulk of CO2. Hey. Humans. We are not all that.

That is also true, cow farts are just as bad, in fact in many cases worse. The fact that humans breed so many cows for slaughter is another factor of climate change, something that again, climate scientists account for in their data as it's been known (shit my freshman year I wrote a paper about cow farts). The problem is that a lot of those things are naturally occuring, and therefore balance out naturally as part of the Carbon Cycle. That is okay, but when we throw things out of balance, as we have done, that's when you see the issues coming. The primary source for the changes in our climate at this point is human activity. We have raised our temperatures and quickly are approaching the point of no return. Just because Volcanos naturally throw CO2 in the air as part of the Carbon Cycle (it produces rain to naturally cool the planet) doesn't mean we should as well. Unless we're going to figure out how to stop the Volcanos (which I wouldn't suggest) so the balance isn't thrown off.

Other reasons I am confident we are not Destroying the Planet!!!
  • We are currently around 400 ppm, up from around 250-270 years ago. What is the optimum level of CO2? (Hint: Greenhouse operators crank the CO2 levels over 1000 so their plants will grow best.) I think we are probably closer to optimal for humans to live at the higher numbers. Whew, glad I bought that SUV. We were dangerously low in CO2!

The optimal level for CO2 is 350 or below, closer to the 250-270 range that it was before. Just because plants thrive at higher levels, doesn't mean that humans do, or other animals. Again, it's all part of a balance.

And it greatly saddens me that you are intentionally trying to pump CO2 into the atmosphere because you falsely believe that we were "dangerously low" or that you think humans should live in even higher numbers (our planet has a finite amount of resources). Especially when your premise behind your actions is 100% false.

CO2 does not have a high temperature sensitivity. In other words, at a certain point of saturation in the atmosphere, CO2 impact declines logarithmically.

You're not understanding that correctly, the CO2 will raise SST which then in turn will slowly raise the overall climate temperature. Just because it's not proportional to the rise in CO2 levels, doesn't mean that the CO2 isn't affecting it, you have to look at longer term data, and account for all the natural changes, the carbon cycle, all of that. The climate is incredibly complex, when you try to simplify it as you have attempted, that's when you end up with incorrect information and ideas.

Statistics, and Myths: 97% of all scientists agree! Agree, what? There have been a few surveys circulated among scientists the past few years. The most famous one cited was John Cook, who took around 13,000 papers, and it turns out 41 papers actually claimed that man was primarily causing the earth to warm, and that it was dangerous. That is actually .3 percent.

I was hoping to see some citations here, as that's what I was mostly interested in seeing where you're getting that information from. Because it flies in the face of everything that I have been doing with the actual people who work on this.

• The hockey stick. Michael Mann famously projected temperatures with his Hockey Stick graph. Turns out, it was cooked numbers as well. Incidentally, when asked to "show his work" Mann said his dog chewed it up. Not great scientific principals.
  • Other great scientific scammers include the boys from East Anglia. Now their emails were "hacked" which is not very nice, certainly, but nonetheless they were exposed having conversations about how to modify the data to cover the fact that the earth wasn't warming like they predicted. Those who have nothing to hide- hide nothing.
  • And then there are graphs like the one below, that try to show scary climbs in temps, but upon examination show natural ups and downs, and temperature rises that don't correlate to CO2, and declines when CO2 is rising.

I'm just going to throw these in together and say.

The graph is certainly not cooked up numbers, it has been verified. While there were some questions in the beginning, and at points some data needed to be corrected, however as we continued to study and add to it, it has become much more accurate, and it keeps that same hockey stick graph. All new information has supported the broad consensus shown in the original map as he published in 1998 as well, they've just gotten more accurate numbers as a result of better tests.

Again, you're misunderstanding how the role of CO2 works and the Carbon Cycle.

Many great scientists do not believe in this new religion, and see the insidious nature of it. 31,000 scientists signed the below petition. (I know, people try to downplay it- "there were only x amount climate scientists," etc.) But, there is far from a consensus.

Here's the problem with that petition thing. First, he admitted that only 9,000 of the signatures had a PhD and the overwhelming majority were engineering degrees. Second, there were a ton of fake signatures on there, including pop culture characters (Han Solo, for example) as well as dead scientists such as Charles Darwin. Third, the signatures can't be verified.

Additionally, it has been paired with a paper that has not been peer reviewed and was filled with inaccurate and downright deceptive information. And despite all that, he has admitted that a whopping 39 climate scientists have signed...... Out of 31,000..... Unverified. Which means pretty much nothing.

That's a pretty poor citation to point to a lack of overwhelming consensus. The overwhelming scientific consensus is that climate change is real and man is affecting it. It's so overwhelming in fact that the debate is really only happening here in the U.S. where politicians who are bought and paid for by companies who stand to profit if climate change is fake, have turned it into a political debate. Sadly it has allowed so many to fall for their ruse.

Finally, this is a good discussion. Alex Epstein is an interesting guy, and so is Stefan Molyneux. (Both are actually Atheists) But I agree with most of their libertarian philosophies. Let me know what you think.

Neither of the two gentlemen have any formal education in science. I don't know why you would trust the information of two political commentators who run a foundation that literally wants to create another industrial revolution (so obviously they have money in the game) who have degrees in history and philosophy rather than scientists who understand the data and work with it every day.

I'm sorry man, I know it will just look like I'm basically saying everything that you're writing is more or less wrong, and I basically am, but I genuinely was curious to what your main sources appear to be, and they are unfortunately a bunch of extremely conservative political commentators (which is why I'm not surprised that you listen to them, as I'm sure your views reflect many of their own) with no scientific education behind their claims.

I wish you'd be more willing to listen to the scientists. To be honest, I really don't understand why people are so against it. What's going to happen, we create a futuristic looking world that is filled with beneficial technology, at a significantly reduced cost to us for no reason? Because that sounds better to me than trying to go back to the early 1900's when everything was powered by coal and looked like shit.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ah, yeah, that's a little different, and true. The car will still be there though, so it won't be destroyed.

Depends on how you define "destroyed".

According to this one scientist, "In fact, the only things that are likely to survive is the car's aluminium frame and any metals or glass. ".

Anyway, the launch was amazing... the SRBs coming back to earth was amazing... who cares what happens to the car, right? :ROFLMAO:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the background. As you know, I have my PhD in Astrophysics, and my focus has been primarily split between doing some Astrobiology work with trying to find habitable planets in our Galaxy, as well as trying to find proof of life outside of our planet and solar system, an Astroparticle Physics and trying to figure out the mystery that is Dark Matter. Exciting times, and when it comes to working alongside Astrobiologists, I do spend quite a bit of time working with climate data. Astrobiologists are somewhat experts at what the ideal climate is for life to pop up, and how the changing of the climate will impact what life can grow there.

Life is pretty amazing if you think about it. It can develop and grow in more places than we may think There's life that can survive the vacuum of space, and life that can grow from cold volcanic rock creating new islands, and new species. Life dumps a bunch of iguanas on an island and they adapt to learn how to swim in the ocean for food, pretty cool stuff in my opinion.

But one of the most interesting effects on what life is life can be how the atmosphere is made up. I'll touch on that a little later though.

So quick note. Peter Ferrara is a lawyer and a political commentator, not a scientist. He has no formal education on anything science, getting a 4 year degree in Economics and then going to Harvard for his Law Degree. Smart guy, I'm sure, but not a scientist. In fact, he's somewhat known as a climate change denier. The problem here is that you're:
  1. Not getting information from the source
  2. Not getting information from a source that at least understands the source material
  3. Getting information from someone who's extremely biased.
Now, where my worry comes is that you're dismissing all evidence to the contrary saying that sources are biased and scientists are cooking data, etc. but accepting information from people who aren't experts and are even more biased, but so in your favor.

Because when you listen to people who aren't experts, they'll tell you things that aren't true, such as the temperature hasn't been rising for almost 20 years.

17 of the 18 hottest years on record have come since 2000. Number 18 is in 1988, so it's not that far away. That is going back 136 years, and you can look at the graphs and data yourself, NASA puts it on their website.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

You can also find things, such as carbon dioxide, levels, which I will also get to later on.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/carbon-dioxide/

That data is real, I've worked with it, I've assisted with collecting it, I know that data is handled correctly and is real. I hope you can trust me there, because it is, even though I know it doesn't fit with your schicms at this point.

Things such as sunspot cycles and the oceans can and do have an affect on our climate, mostly surrounding rainfall and sea surface temperature (SST), however, they don't account for all the changes, they only account for a small bit. And now, with rising CO2 levels, their effect can decrease as they are competing against something much stronger. Climate is a pretty complex thing, and a lot of things can affect what it does, and how it impacts the rest of us. When you throw things out of balance, like we are, that's where things can get out of control as they are threatening to do so now. I implore you to try to look at the entire picture and not toss out the puzzle pieces you don't want to use.

For example, our planet may have natural warming and cooling phases, this is something that has happened to our planet since it was born, but that shouldn't be used to dismiss things.

Between 1940 and 1947 there was a rise in temperatures with a peak in 1945. While the temperatures did cool some afterwards, they didn't return anywhere near what they were before the rise in 1940. Not to mention that the South had some rising temperatures at this time.

By 1980 the temperatures began rising and they really haven't stopped since. There are parts of the country that have had an 8 degree swing in temperature since 1884, and that is a very bad thing.

We most certainly have had more warming since 1997. Again, 17 of the 18 hottest years on record since 2000, and since 1997, the 18 hottest years on record have happened. Those are facts that can be measured.

Yes, but there are a lot of other naturally occurring things that aren't good, especially in excess.

Oxygen for example, we need that to breath correct? Pretty good thing. What happens if there's too much oxygen in the atmosphere? Well it becomes flammable, so that's pretty freaking bad unless you like breathing fire air. All life on earth dies.

But before that even happens, if we had roughly 50% more oxygen (about 30% of our atmosphere) well life on earth would have some pretty serious changes. For one, humans wouldn't be all that comfortable with the levels, as our bodies aren't optimized for it. Additionally, we'd have giant cockroaches and dragonflies that are the size of cars/busses and birds living with us. It wouldn't be fun times on planet Earth, not for humans.

Just a simple change in the atmosphere is all it takes really. CO2 may not be as abundant, but that doesn't mean we can just throw the balance out of whack and pump it into the air like nothing is wrong.

Think of it like the fundamental forces of nature. You have electromagnetic, the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, and gravity.

So say we make a baseline of the Strong nuclear force as 1. That's the strongest anyway. So then we have electromagnetic which is 10^-3, and the weak force which is 10^-16. Both quite a bit weaker than the Strong force.

But what about gravity, the thing that holds us all to this big blue ball? The thing that keeps this big blue ball around our sun. That's gotta be pretty strong to, right?

Except that it's not, it's 10^-41... That's some seriously weak sauce man. If you were to imagine the other three fundamental forces as three dogs fighting over a bone, Gravity would be a tick who's just sitting on the bone because he's too much of a weak bitch to actually have any control.

Now could we just "pump" gravity up (if it were possible of course) because it's so much less? Not at all, it would throw off the entire balance. Not to mention the balance between the 3rd and 4th dimension, it'd be catastrophic.

Which pumping CO2 into the atmosphere and throwing off that balance is as well. Just because something happens slowly, doesn't mean it's not catastrophic.

That is something that many don't actually know, that water vapor is a major player, because it helps trap the heat. The problem is that the heat doesn't originate from the water vapor, it originates from things like the CO2. The CO2 caused the heat, which created more water vapor, which then creates more heat, and it's a rather vicious circle that feeds on each other. This is something that scientists have known for a long time though, and recent experiments confirmed their hypothesis, that the water vapor adds to the problem. This has, and continues to be factored into their data collection, and it's something that has been known to climate scientists from the start. It's "unknownness" is more from the general public. Water vapor isn't the source of the problem though, and it goes away with reduced temperatures and reduced CO2 emissions (which are known to raise temperatures)

That is also true, cow farts are just as bad, in fact in many cases worse. The fact that humans breed so many cows for slaughter is another factor of climate change, something that again, climate scientists account for in their data as it's been known (crap my freshman year I wrote a paper about cow farts). The problem is that a lot of those things are naturally occuring, and therefore balance out naturally as part of the Carbon Cycle. That is okay, but when we throw things out of balance, as we have done, that's when you see the issues coming. The primary source for the changes in our climate at this point is human activity. We have raised our temperatures and quickly are approaching the point of no return. Just because Volcanos naturally throw CO2 in the air as part of the Carbon Cycle (it produces rain to naturally cool the planet) doesn't mean we should as well. Unless we're going to figure out how to stop the Volcanos (which I wouldn't suggest) so the balance isn't thrown off.

The optimal level for CO2 is 350 or below, closer to the 250-270 range that it was before. Just because plants thrive at higher levels, doesn't mean that humans do, or other animals. Again, it's all part of a balance.

And it greatly saddens me that you are intentionally trying to pump CO2 into the atmosphere because you falsely believe that we were "dangerously low" or that you think humans should live in even higher numbers (our planet has a finite amount of resources). Especially when your premise behind your actions is 100% false.

You're not understanding that correctly, the CO2 will raise SST which then in turn will slowly raise the overall climate temperature. Just because it's not proportional to the rise in CO2 levels, doesn't mean that the CO2 isn't affecting it, you have to look at longer term data, and account for all the natural changes, the carbon cycle, all of that. The climate is incredibly complex, when you try to simplify it as you have attempted, that's when you end up with incorrect information and ideas.

I was hoping to see some citations here, as that's what I was mostly interested in seeing where you're getting that information from. Because it flies in the face of everything that I have been doing with the actual people who work on this.

I'm just going to throw these in together and say.

The graph is certainly not cooked up numbers, it has been verified. While there were some questions in the beginning, and at points some data needed to be corrected, however as we continued to study and add to it, it has become much more accurate, and it keeps that same hockey stick graph. All new information has supported the broad consensus shown in the original map as he published in 1998 as well, they've just gotten more accurate numbers as a result of better tests.

Here's the problem with that petition thing. First, he admitted that only 9,000 of the signatures had a PhD and the overwhelming majority were engineering degrees. Second, there were a ton of fake signatures on there, including pop culture characters (Han Solo, for example) as well as dead scientists such as Charles Darwin. Third, the signatures can't be verified.

Additionally, it has been paired with a paper that has not been peer reviewed and was filled with inaccurate and downright deceptive information. And despite all that, he has admitted that a whopping 39 climate scientists have signed...... Out of 31,000..... Unverified. Which means pretty much nothing.

That's a pretty poor citation to point to a lack of overwhelming consensus. The overwhelming scientific consensus is that climate change is real and man is affecting it. It's so overwhelming in fact that the debate is really only happening here in the U.S. where politicians who are bought and paid for by companies who stand to profit if climate change is fake, have turned it into a political debate. Sadly it has allowed so many to fall for their ruse.

Neither of the two gentlemen have any formal education in science. I don't know why you would trust the information of two political commentators who run a foundation that literally wants to create another industrial revolution (so obviously they have money in the game) who have degrees in history and philosophy rather than scientists who understand the data and work with it every day.

I'm sorry man, I know it will just look like I'm basically saying everything that you're writing is more or less wrong, and I basically am, but I genuinely was curious to what your main sources appear to be, and they are unfortunately a bunch of extremely conservative political commentators (which is why I'm not surprised that you listen to them, as I'm sure your views reflect many of their own) with no scientific education behind their claims.

I wish you'd be more willing to listen to the scientists. To be honest, I really don't understand why people are so against it. What's going to happen, we create a futuristic looking world that is filled with beneficial technology, at a significantly reduced cost to us for no reason? Because that sounds better to me than trying to go back to the early 1900's when everything was powered by coal and looked like crap.

First of all, thank you so much for your thoughtful responses. I do recognize your vocational choices have put you in the arena, and I do defer to your analysis to a large degree. Please know also that I appreciate that your answers were polite and not just flaming. Too much of that out there.

I will look closer later at your assertions and try to get you more than just the few citations I listed. I just didn’t want my post to be too much more drawn out than it already was.

Also, it would be nice to address the facts, rather than the ad hominem qualifications, or perceived lack of qualifications of the end source. (I.e. he’s just a writer, philosopher, historian, etc.) me, a simple Government/Journalism BA would then just have to STFU. :LOL:

I understand you would like to trace back to the alleged factual assertions to determine its truthfulness. Fair enough.

But too often all I see from the other side is dismissal of information, based on dismissing the messenger. Conversely I see the fallacy of “appeal to authority” rather than defending the data.

For example, “the debate is over. Now we must act!” Smells a little fishy to me.
Yet that is the type of bullying you hear from Climate Change advocates.

I do have several PhD sources and Nobel Laureate scientists that I have read their analysis of data, and points of conflict with the alarmism. I will give you some when I get a chance later.

Thanks Blue.

bluecoconuts

Legend
First of all, thank you so much for your thoughtful responses. I do recognize your vocational choices have put you in the arena, and I do defer to your analysis to a large degree. Please know also that I appreciate that your answers were polite and not just flaming. Too much of that out there.

I will look closer later at your assertions and try to get you more than just the few citations I listed. I just didn’t want my post to be too much more drawn out than it already was.

Also, it would be nice to address the facts, rather than the ad hominem qualifications, or perceived lack of qualifications of the end source. (I.e. he’s just a writer, philosopher, historian, etc.) me, a simple Government/Journalism BA would then just have to STFU. :LOL:

I understand you would like to trace back to the alleged factual assertions to determine its truthfulness. Fair enough.

But too often all I see from the other side is dismissal of information, based on dismissing the messenger. Conversely I see the fallacy of “appeal to authority” rather than defending the data.

For example, “the debate is over. Now we must act!” Smells a little fishy to me.
Yet that is the type of bullying you hear from Climate Change advocates.

I do have several PhD sources and Nobel Laureate scientists that I have read their analysis of data, and points of conflict with the alarmism. I will give you some when I get a chance later.

Thanks Blue.

I'm not here to fight or anything, I was looking to get an insight into why you have your views. The reason why I mentioned the qualifications of the authors that you mentioned was largely due to the fact that you have taken a largely political stance on this issue, and I found it interesting that your information source is largely from political commentators, rather than the scientists doing the work.

I don't see it as bullying that scientists who are doing the research are trying to raise the alarm that we're heading down a very dangerous path. Especially when the benefits far outweigh the downsides, which are very minimal. I'm sure you've heard the joke before, but the start of every disaster movie is a bunch of politicians ignoring a team of scientists.

Plus I really don't understand the arguments for not going for it, but that's just me.

Again, you have your opinions, I'm not going to be able to convince you that you're wrong, so I'm not really going to try.

I was mostly just trying to figure out where you were coming from, I think I got it now. We can all carry on.

nighttrain

Legend
By Tariq Malik, Space.com Managing Editor | February 18, 2018 07:11am ET

• MORE

$

$

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket stands atop Space Launch Complex 4E at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California in this file photo. SpaceX's next Falcon 9's launch is now aimed for Feb. 21, 2018.
Credit: SpaceX
SpaceX has delayed the launch of its next Falcon 9 rocket to no earlier than Wednesday (Feb. 21) to allow final checks of the rocket's upgraded nose cone.

The Falcon 9 rocket was scheduled to launch early Sunday (Feb. 18) from a pad at California's Vandenberg Air Force Base to send SpaceX's first Starlink broadband satellites and the Paz radar-imaging satellite for Spain into orbit. The mission had already been delayed 24 hours to allow extra checks.

On Saturday, SpaceX representatives announced that more time was needed for final checks of the Falcon 9 rocket's upgraded payload fairing, the clamshell-like nose cone at the top of the rocket that protects its payload during flight. [6 Surprising Facts About SpaceX]

"Team at Vandenberg is taking additional time to perform final checkouts of upgraded fairing," SpaceX representatives wrote on Twitter. "Payload and vehicle remain healthy. Due to mission requirements, now targeting February 21 launch of PAZ."

SpaceX has been upgrading its payload fairings as part of a project to recover and reuse the components, but whether those efforts played a role in the launch delay is unclear. SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has said the fairings alone cost about $5 million, so the ability to reuse them could represent a substantial savings.

Earlier this month, Musk said SpaceX is getting closer to recovering its payload fairings. The company has been experimenting with parachutes on its fairings and built a giant ship equipped with metal arms (which Musk has described as a "catcher's mitt in boat form") to eventually catch the fairings before they splash into the ocean.

After SpaceX's successful Falcon Heavy test flight on Feb. 6, Musk told reporters that Falcon 9 rocket fairing recovery has been difficult since fairing parachutes tend to get twisted during descent. But Musk was optimistic that a solution would be found this year.

"I'm pretty sure we'll solve fairing recovery in the next 6 months," Musk said.

SpaceX's next Falcon 9 rocket will use a previously flown first stage booster that also launched the Taiwanese Formosat-5 satellite in August 2017. The mission's primary goal is to launch the Paz radar-imaging satellite for the Spanish company Hisdesat. The Paz satellite is designed to capture sharp radar imagery of Earth for a variety of customers, including the Spanish government, over the course of its 5.5-year mission.

SpaceX is also expected to launch two prototype satellites, called Microsat-2a and Microsat-2b, as part of its Starlink broadband satellite constellation. The company has not commented on the Starlink prototypes publicly, but their inclusion on the launch was laid out in SpaceX documents filed to the Federal Communications Commission.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
As most have acknowledged, it really doesn't matter. It was just a perfectly good, subsidized car, launched into space to massage someone's ego, and a PR stunt.

I have my PhD in Astrophysics, and my focus has been primarily split between doing some Astrobiology work with trying to find habitable planets in our Galaxy, as well as trying to find proof of life outside of our planet and solar system, an Astroparticle Physics and trying to figure out the mystery that is Dark Matter.
Very exciting and important work. Much respect.

So far, no proof of this. I understand that is partly what you are studying. A little off subject, but That is where we have to agree to disagree. I see lot's of evidence to support Creation. Life from the primordial soup still has a lot of gaps in its theory. A whole other discussion.

Peter Ferrara is a lawyer and a political commentator, not a scientist. He has no formal education on anything science, getting a 4 year degree in Economics and then going to Harvard for his Law Degree. Smart guy, I'm sure, but not a scientist. In fact, he's somewhat known as a climate change denier
See, that is what I was saying. You found it to be sufficient to ignore the claims because of the writers lack of scientific credentials. Many non-scientists write pro- AGW articles for Time, Newsweek, NYT, etc. and don't have their articles dismissed out of hand. Of course they cite their sources, I acknowledge, and some of my information I did not give attribution. Still, not one of the facts I listed was really challenged.

The problem here is that you're:
  1. Not getting information from the source Again, I am getting everything from a scientific source, not a "thinktank"
  2. Not getting information from a source that at least understands the source material. A bit dismissive, and not true.
  3. Getting information from someone who's extremely biased. Again, a subjective statement, and doesn't address the assertions.

Some of the Climate Scientists and PhD peer reviewed experts that reject the notion that man is detrimentally affecting our environment through CO2 emissions, and that through government programs we can do anything to alter the climate in any discernible, measurable way- that I have read their arguments, and studied their data (we all stand on the shoulders of giants):
  • Patrick Moore
  • Richard Lindzen
  • William Happer
  • Roy Spencer
  • Roger Pielke
  • Ivar Giaerer
  • Ross McKittrick
  • Judith Curry
  • Tim Ball
  • Willie Soon
  • John Christy
  • Patrick Michaels
  • Bob Carter
  • John Coleman
  • Christopher Monckton
  • David Bellamy
Again, just some, (though probably most) of whom I have read. All experts in their field, though some have been ostracized and attacked as "deniers". Interesting term. First used for those that would deny the Holocaust.

It hasn't. Not according to UN Data. We won't agree here. But it was your side that actually coined the term "the pause" to try to explain the lack of warming since 1997. What did you think about the scientists emails when they were plotting how to adjust the data to reflect more warming? I've read the emails. It can't be spun or taken out of context. The leveling off of warming is totally consistent with the natural oscillating ocean cycle and sun spot cycle.

http://pielkeclimatesci.wordpress.com/2007/06/15/on-the-fundamental-defect-in-the-ipcc’s-approach-to-global-warming-research-by-syun-ichi-akasofu/

I don't know about the Han Solo thing, but I suppose Al Gore and Leo Dicaprio balance that out. Regardless, again the point still holds. Thousands of serious climate scientists and meteorologists are skeptical of the notion of AGW.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/what-catastrophe_773268.html?page=3

From what I have read, the role of CO2 has been OVERstated.

http://capitalismmagazine.com/2002/...puter-model-speculation-just-ask-the-experts/

Other actual people that work on the science disagree.

https://online.wsj.com/articles/climate-science-is-not-settled-1411143565

I would say it is the opposite. The billions of dollars in government funds to study Climate Change. (By the way, and redundant, manipulative term) The Green subsidies to the failed wind industry, and limited Solar industry. (Though it does have some promise) Yet Nuclear, and natural gas are so much more efficient and reliable. I think many sources should be explored and used. Lithium may be huge soon too, but it cannot be our only energy source. I would say the "Green lobby" clouds honest discussion.

Only in the mainstream media and academia is there a consensus. Many real scientists disagree.

Again, you didn't speak to any of the science assertions in their discussion, you just dismissed them because of their education. By that measure, we can dismiss Bill Nye, the Mechanical Engineer Guy.

So only PhD's can assert their opinion? Even at that, the entire list of seasoned PhD scientists above disagree with your conclusions. I am not saying your views have no merit, Blue. Just that this is not "settled science".

I don't blindly trust what they say, though much of it just reiterated things I have read from many sources.

I wish you'd be more willing to listen to the scientists. To be honest, I really don't understand why people are so against it. What's going to happen, we create a futuristic looking world that is filled with beneficial technology, at a significantly reduced cost to us for no reason? Because that sounds better to me than trying to go back to the early 1900's when everything was powered by coal and looked like crap
Do you see the hyperbolic words here? A bunch of false choices here. You don't seem to be willing to listen to certain scientists. I am not just "locked in" because of a political position". CO2 has followed temperature change, not lead it, over the measurable history- ice cores prove it. (See below video.)

Why does a "Futuristic World" depend on completely abandoning fossil fuels? I welcome all the sources of energy that make peoples lives better. Including fossil fuels. CO2 is NOT a pollutant.

I'm not here to fight or anything, I was looking to get an insight into why you have your views. The reason why I mentioned the qualifications of the authors that you mentioned was largely due to the fact that you have taken a largely political stance on this issue, and I found it interesting that your information source is largely from political commentators, rather than the scientists doing the work.

I hope some of these citations, and scientists noted set that notion aside. I am not some blind political zombie. And I do read your citations. But a lot of what you have listed can be seen as political spin as well.

I don't see it as bullying that scientists who are doing the research are trying to raise the alarm that we're heading down a very dangerous path. Especially when the benefits far outweigh the downsides, which are very minimal.
A very dangerous path is denial of modernization to people in poor sections of Africa, and Asia, especially. In the name of saving the planet, and depopulation, life-saving energy, and running water systems are being denied to people.

Plus I really don't understand the arguments for not going for it, but that's just me.
I just think you haven't given time to the arguments against Americans paying subsidies to other nations, and the Carbon Tax scheme, killing off jobs and industries, just to PERHAPS make an incremental affect on a trace gas that represents less than 5% of the greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere, when the other Climate affecting variables: The solar trends, ocean cycles, etc. have much more to do with climate.

There are potentially HUGE negative affects to the "hurry up and do something!" proposals. There is MUCH greater threats to lives around the world, and economics in the US, and around the world if we force current abundant fossil fuels out without adequately replacing them.

View: https://youtu.be/iObmapEm2a4

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
See, that is what I was saying. You found it to be sufficient to ignore the claims because of the writers lack of scientific credentials. Many non-scientists write pro- AGW articles for Time, Newsweek, NYT, etc. and don't have their articles dismissed out of hand. Of course they cite their sources, I acknowledge, and some of my information I did not give attribution. Still, not one of the facts I listed was really challenged.

I didn't cite any of those sources though, and I don't suggest going to them. I suggested going to the actual scientists doing the actual research.

Some of the Climate Scientists and PhD peer reviewed experts that reject the notion that man is detrimentally affecting our environment through CO2 emissions, and that through government programs we can do anything to alter the climate in any discernible, measurable way- that I have read their arguments, and studied their data (we all stand on the shoulders of giants):

Without having looked at each person or their research, I wont really comment much on it. There's going to be some in pretty much every field, especially when this topic has been hijacked by politics. What matters is the overwhelming majority that does agree. Your assumption is that the majority is in on some giant secret and the minority are the truth tellers. In reality the majority is just doing good science and are correct and the minority, mixed with those who have financial interests in climate change being false, are just trying to make noise and are wrong.

It hasn't. Not according to UN Data. We won't agree here. But it was your side that actually coined the term "the pause" to try to explain the lack of warming since 1997. What did you think about the scientists emails when they were plotting how to adjust the data to reflect more warming? I've read the emails. It can't be spun or taken out of context. The leveling off of warming is totally consistent with the natural oscillating ocean cycle and sun spot cycle.

http://pielkeclimatesci.wordpress.com/2007/06/15/on-the-fundamental-defect-in-the-ipcc’s-approach-to-global-warming-research-by-syun-ichi-akasofu/

I've worked directly with the data and the information, it has. You are correct though, we won't agree here, because you're insisting that the temperatures haven't risen and I've have actually worked with the data that shows that it has.

In terms of a few scientists who were trying to adjust the data, obviously it's not good if you're manipulating data, but if they are adjusting the experiment to be more accurate, that is okay, as long as the data is accurate. If it's not, then again, that's bad. Why I don't put a bunch of stock into that though is because I know a lot of scientists that have collected data and didn't manipulate any of it. I've worked with some of these scientists, and I've helped extract the data from their experiments, I know they were handled correctly just like the vast majority of data has been handled correctly. This is a very high profile research topic, the overwhelming majority of research is going to be good and sound, because there are so many people looking for any minor mistake to "expose" the secret. Climate scientists are like other scientists in that if they knowingly release false data their career is over. So the amount of care that most take with their work in pretty nuts. They don't want their career ending and would never put that at risk by manipulating data.

I don't know about the Han Solo thing, but I suppose Al Gore and Leo Dicaprio balance that out. Regardless, again the point still holds. Thousands of serious climate scientists and meteorologists are skeptical of the notion of AGW.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/what-catastrophe_773268.html?page=3

I don't really know how those are connected. I'm saying that since his "sign here" was essentially on the honor system, a lot of false signatures were placed on there from internet trolls. I really don't give a fuck about Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio to be honest. So they're big champions of raising awareness of climate change, that's about it. There may be thousands that are skeptical (maybe, it's likely more like hundreds, if that), but that doesn't ignore that the overwhelming majority aren't.

It really hasn't. I'll point out that the previous two articles you posted though were conservative political websites though. That's exactly why I don't dive deeply into any retorts.

The science is never settled, any good scientist knows that. Without reading that article, from my understanding he says that the climate is changing and humans are impacting it, but he isn't so sure about how to solve it. But the article is behind a paywall, so I can't dive too deeply into it. I'm just going off of memory here.

I would say it is the opposite. The billions of dollars in government funds to study Climate Change. (By the way, and redundant, manipulative term) The Green subsidies to the failed wind industry, and limited Solar industry. (Though it does have some promise) Yet Nuclear, and natural gas are so much more efficient and reliable. I think many sources should be explored and used. Lithium may be huge soon too, but it cannot be our only energy source. I would say the "Green lobby" clouds honest discussion.

Only in the mainstream media and academia is there a consensus. Many real scientists disagree.

Many real scientists don't disagree. Natural gas isn't a good source of energy, although I do agree that nuclear energy is pretty safe. Green energy isn't failed though, while it's not as efficient as fossil fuels, it's getting there. That shouldn't be a surprise either, as the technology improves, things will get more efficient. Things like windows that can collect solar energy, or even solar collecting roads. Right now the technology is new, expensive and not as efficient, but we know it's possible, and therefore we should work to improve it. That's how you move forward.

Again, you didn't speak to any of the science assertions in their discussion, you just dismissed them because of their education. By that measure, we can dismiss Bill Nye, the Mechanical Engineer Guy.

So only PhD's can assert their opinion? Even at that, the entire list of seasoned PhD scientists above disagree with your conclusions. I am not saying your views have no merit, Blue. Just that this is not "settled science".

I don't blindly trust what they say, though much of it just reiterated things I have read from many sources.

I didn't bring Bill Nye up, he doesn't mean anything to this discussion as far as I'm considered. However, I would give more of an ear to BIll Nye, who does have scientific background, than some political commentator youtuber.

I'm not saying that only PhD's can throw in their opinion, but they need to know their science. What I'm saying that 50 non-PhD holders who don't understand the science screaming that it's false does not beat one PhD holder who understands and works with the science.

Do you see the hyperbolic words here? A bunch of false choices here. You don't seem to be willing to listen to certain scientists. I am not just "locked in" because of a political position". CO2 has followed temperature change, not lead it, over the measurable history- ice cores prove it. (See below video.)

Why does a "Futuristic World" depend on completely abandoning fossil fuels? I welcome all the sources of energy that make peoples lives better. Including fossil fuels. CO2 is NOT a pollutant.

I'm willing to listen to certain scientists who can come with facts, but it's going to take a lot to convince me that all the other data, some of which I've personally worked with, is bunk. If a scientist can show that it is, and have the tests be repeatable and good, then I'll jump on that train. That's how science works, I'm always willing to change my position based on what the science says. Fossil fuels aren't a sustainable energy source, which is another reason why moving to green energy is really smart. Methane isn't a pollutant either, but enough of it in our atmosphere and we all die.

Really, I'm going a little too far here, I don't want to continue.

The reason why I wanted to know where you were coming from was because I wanted to see if you were pulling from science or from politics. You pull more from politics, that's fine, that's what you're about. I will never convince you differently because it's a challenge to your political views, and you will never convince me because I've worked with some of the data personally.

So there's really no need to continue to engage, it'll just go around in circles.