Sorting through Rams' potential OC candididates/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If Boras thinks he knows how to use Tavon's skill set then why hasn't he imparted this knowledge before now? He did and was ignored? Doubtful because at some point you'd think they would try anything.
Tavon is a little too small to be a TE :cool:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'd be curious to know who the architect of our run game resurgence was in 2013 after the 1st quarter of the season and who orchestrated some of the runs we used this season. Would it be too much to wish that it was someone like Boras who devised using Cook as a decoy TE in the run game, or getting Austin balls on the Jet sweep, using more unbalanced lines (which we didn't do at all this season :( ), or the use of Bailey on reverses? Boy, I'd love it if Boras was the guy, perhaps he could bring more of that to the offense.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It would be fun beating the whiners twice a year with an OC they wanted run out of town.

Boras might work.
Martz was a qb coach in Washington before the Rams hire. Wasn't that his first hire as OC?

Lovie was LB coach in TB before being our DC.
Also his first coordinator job?

Alan

Legend
DR RAM not sure if Boras can walk and chew gum at the same time:
Tavon is a little too small to be a TE :cool:
images

jap

Legend
Martz was a qb coach in Washington before the Rams hire. Wasn't that his first hire as OC?

Yes, Mad Mike was QB coach in Washington. Before that he was the QB coach for the LA Rams from 1992 through 1994. After the team moved to Saint Louis in 1995, he became the wide receiver coach with the Rams and guided Isaac Bruce's breakout from 21 receptions in 1994 to 119 snares for 1781 yards in 1995 (which is why Isaac was overjoyed to have him return in 1999). Bruce went to his first Pro Bowl in 1996. Mike left the Rams in 1997 to serve as QB coaching Washington before returning to the Horns in 1999.

BadCompany

Rookie
As much as I love Trestman and everything he did for my Alouettes I would lean towards Boras. We spent three years complaining about how Bradford had to learn a new system every year, and then another couple of years talking about how guys like Quick, Stedman, Austin and lately Robinson "need to learn the system". So let's not throw them back into class. We need to get off to a good start next year, and I don't want to see them spend six weeks adjusting to a new coordinator. Go with Boras: Largely the same plays, but maybe with different game management. I could live with that.

jap

Legend
As much as I love Trestman and everything he did for my Alouettes I would lean towards Boras. We spent three years complaining about how Bradford had to learn a new system every year, and then another couple of years talking about how guys like Quick, Stedman, Austin and lately Robinson "need to learn the system". So let's not throw them back into class. We need to get off to a good start next year, and I don't want to see them spend six weeks adjusting to a new coordinator. Go with Boras: Largely the same plays, but maybe with different game management. I could live with that.

A savvy OC can correlate the plays in his system to a similar system---it's been done before. It would be a matter of tweaking play calling for more runs, more downfield passing, and better utilization of players' skill sets. No matter what the OL needs to be upgraded intensely.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Just my 2 pennies...

What Chud did for Cam Newton and that offense in one year seemed crazy to me. A lot of really good coordinators don't make good coaches. We all know that by now. I think Chud may fall into that category. Chudinski for OC would be OK with me.

MrMotes

Starter
I like Chud too. But there are a lot of OC openings right now and i'm not sure we're going to have the pick of the litter...

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Kind of sad that Wagoner is the only voice on this and he's as clueless as anyone. I would expect the PD to be posting daily updates on the search with insider reports, but that would require Bernie to extract himself from his oversized seat and do some real journalism, not gonna happen I guess.

Well since I have zero knowledge of what the Rams parameters are, I guess I'm just left with my two cent opinion -- no WCO backgrounds, keep the Coryell foundation, strengthen the run first identity, and play-action vertical attack when passing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just my 2 pennies...

What Chud did for Cam Newton and that offense in one year seemed crazy to me. A lot of really good coordinators don't make good coaches. We all know that by now. I think Chud may fall into that category. Chudinski for OC would be OK with me.

Agreed DR. What makes Chud particularly interesting is that he's produced some good, creative offensive attacks with different types of players, albeit in a small sample size. It shows he's smart enough to coordinate to his players' strengths.

Chud might be hard to get though. I'm sure he'll get consideration for head coach, and he's already being paid by a good friend as a special assistant with the Colts. But I'm still pulling for the Colts to lose this weekend so maybe we will at least see Fish interview him. He really does fit well as to what the Rams need, I just think he's a one year hire because the Rams' offense exploding means springboard to head coaching job.

Alan

Legend
Fatbot expecting miracles:
I would expect the PD to be posting daily updates on the search with insider reports, but that would require Bernie to extract himself from his oversized seat and do some real journalism, not gonna happen I guess.
Just bashing Bernie for fun? Which organization is going to let out, anonymous or not, information that would hurt their bargaining position? No offense Fatbot but there are enough negatives you can excoriate Bernie about without making up new ones right?

MrMotes

Starter
Just bashing Bernie for fun? Which organization is going to let out, anonymous or not, information that would hurt their bargaining position? No offense Fatbot but there are enough negatives you can excoriate Bernie about without making up new ones right?
Not to mention Bernie is a columnist. JT is the Rams beat writer. He's the one who'll be reporting Rams news for the PD...